degree or not a degree, that is the question?

kenny01

Hey guys, excellent forum! I have a question... I currently have a good qualification in diesel HGV fitting courtesy of the armed forces and me and the missus are wanting to move to oz! The dilemma is that im currently studying for a degree in mechanical engineering, quite early into it. I have read that a british degree is worth diddly squat over there so is there any point??? Am i wasting my time when i could be earning good money spannering?? Advice/opinions needed. Thanks guys and dolls :biggrin:

Guest Guest31881

Hi kenny,

I have moved your post to the migration forum, hopefully you will get a better response from this thread

Hey guys, excellent forum! I have a question... I currently have a good qualification in diesel HGV fitting courtesy of the armed forces and me and the missus are wanting to move to oz! The dilemma is that im currently studying for a degree in mechanical engineering, quite early into it. I have read that a british degree is worth diddly squat over there so is there any point??? Am i wasting my time when i could be earning good money spannering?? Advice/opinions needed. Thanks guys and dolls :biggrin:

who told you the british degree is worthless? According to my agent which is based in Sydney and the university of SA. My british degree is a very high standard, to the effect of being offered a place on PHD course.

if you are taking a non hons degree then its worthless. Hons degree are worth alot more

From what you're saying in your post, it sounds as though you're in the first year of a degree course. If you're studying full time then it'll be another two or three years to complete it.

What stage are you at with your application? I reckon that even in a best case scenario you're looking at about a year from deciding to make an application through to getting a visa issued. That's making the assumption that it's going to take roughly three months for each stage if things go smoothly:

• Gathering documentation to prove your skills and background. (This is surprisingly time consuming, especially when you need to get a reference off a former employer.)
  • Taking a skills assessment.
  • Getting state sponsorship.
  • Waiting for a CO to be assigned.

Add on a further six to twelve months to do all the things that need to be done prior to a move (organise finances, sell your home, arrange shipping, etc.), and the best case scenario is that you won't be in a position to emigrate before sometime in your third year.

As for the decision of whether or not to take a degree, the points system is changing to massively favour applicants with them in the next few months. The other question is how will it benefit your career? Another two years of sacrifices might increase your earnings capacity significantly.

If you're looking for alternative ideas, how about investigating whether you can get a credit transfer for your study to be recognised by an Australian institution, and complete the degree down there.

Guest perth42

I'd carry on studying in the uk! The cost of studying in Oz is far more expensive. When we tried to apply first time round for a pr visa I too was in my first year studying at uni. The fees at the time were $21k pa and here they were £3,700 pa big difference!

With the new points system you could be far better off as you as you have the experience to boot (age permitting you could be laughing all the way to the Aussie bank!). Only you can do what is right for you. So look at the pros and cons and good luck in whatever you

decide to do... :smile:

Thanks for the replies! I am indeed in the first year, just wondering if it is at all worth it, first part is just the foundation degree which would finish in around 3 years time, which is when my contract with the RAF runs out. Thinking it may be better to just start searching for other jobs etc. i have a good qualification in diesel heavy vehicle mechanics and that apparently earns well? just dont want to waste 3 years on nothing i spose...... Thanks for replying

Guest guest24485

Kenny my good man, glad you found the Poms In Oz page.

Don't worry about your degree mate cos when you get here you can carry on with it. Your trade is a priority job with the RAAF and also on the critical skill shortage list so you should have a very good chance of getting a job. Try going on cvlibrary.co.uk and look for jobs there.

Good luck mate.

Being an engineering student and a student-member of Engineers Australia, here's something I can tell u which might make u feel good...

Engineering degrees from the UK are fully recognised by Engineers Australia, without the need to go through the CDR even.

This is because the UK is a signatory of the Washington Accord, which is a agreement between several countries to recognise each others' engineering qualifications without any specific preconditions other than the degree being fully accredited by the local engineering regulation body.

So as long as your UK degree is fully recognised by the body which regulates engineering in the UK, EngAus will accept it as it is.

Source: http://www.washingtonaccord.org/Washington-Accord/signatories.cfm

Archived