customs confusion

marta

I have a (maybe stupid) question with regard to customs.

Do I need to declare natural/organic cosmetics upon arrival?

Do I need to declare wooden hair sticks? Is it even possible they might be destroyed?

Can I take herbal oil (for cosmetic use) or is this strictly forbidden?

I already sat for hours reading myself through the famous Australian Custom website but for specific items like the above I did not find any helfpul information whatsoever.

Sorry if I sound odd (and very German with my request!) but it must be possible to find some SPECIFIC useful information about these items.

I have a (maybe stupid) question with regard to customs.

Do I need to declare natural/organic cosmetics upon arrival?

Do I need to declare wooden hair sticks? Is it even possible they might be destroyed?

Can I take herbal oil (for cosmetic use) or is this strictly forbidden?

I already sat for hours reading myself through the famous Australian Custom website but for specific items like the above I did not find any helfpul information whatsoever.

Sorry if I sound odd (and very German with my request!) but it must be possible to find some SPECIFIC useful information about these items.

prohibited and restricted imports

or consult a customs agent.

If in doubt declare it.

Had similar items to those you mention in our hand luggage, they were placed inside wash bags, all they did at customs is x rayed it through the machines and took out a bottle which was over sized! Didn't look at anything else, The only thing that may show up for you is the wooden hair sticks!

Declare anything made of wood. The worst they'll do is dispose of it. Not declaring and then getting caught out can be serious trouble.

The sensible thing to do is to follow "if in doubt, declare". You wont be penalised for declaring an item that didn't need to be, but you can get into a sticky situation with not declaring potentially prohibited items.

Ok many thanks!

The problem is excatly that: that I would not want them to bin any of my lovely and rare hair sticks as they are worth a several hundred of pounds. So the problem is still there: if it is likely they might be taken off me as they are made of wood, and I would love to find out the exact terms.

I should also add these sticks are professionally and individually handcrafted items of high quality, so all of them went through different processes of woodworking and special treatments (for example, I have a couple of Dymondwood things which are made of pressed and glued layers of wood and acrylics). So it's not that I take some "twigs" into my bag, and because these items are kind of precious (to me at least) I have to prevent having them distroyed!! If there is a risk of that then I would be very very concerned indeed. It is (almost?) impossible that some tiny animal or "illness" might be spread through my hair sticks. However, if one has a reason to assume that that might be possible indeed then I think basically each persons coming out of the plane should be "desinfected" straight away - which is a very odd and somehow dangerous thought (in more than one perspective)!

Anyhow, I would love to have a more extensive list of forbidden items and items which "just" need to declared! Unfortunately I did not find anything helpful apart from the usual links to the Australian custom website and this ICON database.

Sorry to bother you guys with this. It's just that I am easily worried and not willing to through any stuff away which is very dear to me.

Guest siamsusie

I usually have a couple of bags when travelling, insert "declarables" & "unsures" etc in one bag and go through the red channel.

Simple!

If you declare them, the worst they'll do is bin them, and that is quite rare...most items will get through after inspection, but it's really at the discretion of the AQIS officers...

However, if you don't declare them and customs decide to go after you, it's a minimum fine of AU$200-odd plus a warning, and at max some serious penalties and even prosecution.

Declare them, that's the sensible thing to do.

The penalties for not declaring are often more severe than declaring and then surrendering (if the need be) prohibited items.

If you declare them, the worst they'll do is bin them, and that is quite rare...most items will get through after inspection, but it's really at the discretion of the AQIS officers...

However, if you don't declare them and customs decide to go after you, it's a minimum fine of AU$200-odd plus a warning, and at max some serious penalties and even prosecution.

Declare them, that's the sensible thing to do.

The penalties for not declaring are often more severe than declaring and then surrendering (if the need be) prohibited items.

Yes that's the most sensible thing to do indeed. I have no choice in the end.:confused:

Guest VickyMel

A tip once given to me I think from from Siamsusie (and I hope I have this right Susie) was that for example with your rare hair sticks if they refuse them an alternative to destroying them in Oz would be to post them back home.

You could also put them through some quarantine measure - fumigation irradiation - costly but if they are important to you then worth it.

Vicky

In all honesty, they'll 99.99% sure make it through. What they are concerned about with wood and organics is the possibility of there being some sort of woodworm or other burrowing bug/eggs in the wood, which is really highly unlikely with this sort of thing.

similarly, all food has to be declared, but they're not going to take your teabags/chocolate off you, it's just a formality that has to be followed.

I would have thought as these are natural treated wooden hair sticks, that they would be ok, as they are not exactly full of woodworm or any other parasites! You could also wear a couple!

My daughter wore natural beads around her neck and wooden bangles and beads on her wrists and they didn't bat an eyelid!

Guest ozzietobe

Im going to be leather goods that aren't really allowed and will want them put through fumigation/irradiation because i want to keep my things and im prepared to pay for that! So if your wooden things are special to you perhaps thats a good option for you?

Guest siamsusie
Im going to be leather goods that aren't really allowed and will want them put through fumigation/irradiation because i want to keep my things and im prepared to pay for that! So if your wooden things are special to you perhaps thats a good option for you?

Sorry are you saying that leather goods are not permitted into Australia?:wubclub:

Sorry are you saying that leather goods are not permitted into Australia?:wubclub:

Leather goods are permitted, however, you need to declare any items which may have soil/earth clinging to them e.g. golf shoes with spikes/cleats on the sole...

Guest siamsusie
Leather goods are permitted, however, you need to declare any items which may have soil/earth clinging to them e.g. golf shoes with spikes/cleats on the sole...

Thanks Twister :wubclub:

I have imported many leather items into Australia.. skins are not permitted, including drums etc...

Marta.. seriously you wont have a problem, just declare them at customs, they give them a wee tap to ensure that it is insect free and you are safe. No drama!

Susie x

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/entering-australia/cant-take

Guest ozzietobe

Sorry should have clarified im taking saddlery into Auz and they will probably want it fumigated!

Archived