Private health insurance in Australia?

inception

Guest RichB

To be honest Private Health Insurance is a complete rip off..Why on earth would you pay medicare and huge taxes and rip off health insurance..I certainly would not..

To be honest Private Health Insurance is a complete rip off..Why on earth would you pay medicare and huge taxes and rip off health insurance..I certainly would not..

Because I got hit with a whopping tax levy and I'd rather be paying for something that I can take some benefit from rather than giving it to the tax man at the end of the year ... like most things in life it's each to his own, what's right for one isn't for another ... doesn't make either of them wrong ... just personal preference.

and still you talk complete nonsense .........i use to think why am i paying HBF so much a month but ive just had a combined carpel tunnel and tripple hernia opperation with my own room and lovely food , this in total has cost me nothing as yet , i may get a bill for $65 as i wanted a private room in a private hospital as im a germ boy..........if i went through the public system i would be waiting for another 12 to 18 months and not be able to work at all........if i had gone private without cover then we are talking thousands ...............so this earlier post is complete false information , private health cover is a must ,even if you pay the minimum .......and with having 5 children i would be the fool if i didnt have sufficient cover ...............

Guest JK2510
Because I got hit with a whopping tax levy and I'd rather be paying for something that I can take some benefit from rather than giving it to the tax man at the end of the year ... like most things in life it's each to his own, what's right for one isn't for another ... doesn't make either of them wrong ... just personal preference.

Exactly. Each to their own!!

I had to take my daughter to the SKG place for a CT scan last week. I almost collapsed when I had the bill $380!!! it didn't matter if I had the best medical cover in the world I would of still been hit with that fee. Medicare refunded $204.

I think in the UK we have truely been spoilt and it tough getting our head around those hidden costs!!

Also 2 lots of eye drops for me $51!! Goodbye to those £7 something per script!!

Guest Guest 47403
Exactly. Each to their own!!

I had to take my daughter to the SKG place for a CT scan last week. I almost collapsed when I had the bill $380!!! it didn't matter if I had the best medical cover in the world I would of still been hit with that fee. Medicare refunded $204.

I think in the UK we have truely been spoilt and it tough getting our head around those hidden costs!!

Also 2 lots of eye drops for me $51!! Goodbye to those £7 something per script!!

I'm a bit confused by the whole medicare/private health thing.

How much of the $380 would you have got back if you had private care?

Would private medical cover the eye drops perscription?

Sorry if they seem daft questions really haven't got my head around it yet.

Baz

Guest RichB

Its not called rip off australia for nothing..This place has to be the most expensive country in the world for everything..Its beyond belief how expensive this place is...For all people migrating to Australia make sure you bring lots and lots of cash with you as you will definately need it...Which other country in the world charges $ 9 for a pint of Guiness?

Guest JK2510
I'm a bit confused by the whole medicare/private health thing.

How much of the $380 would you have got back if you had private care?

Would private medical cover the eye drops perscription?

Sorry if they seem daft questions really haven't got my head around it yet.

Baz

Private health care doesn't cover xrays,ct scans,blood tests etc....

It will only cover HOSPITAL admissions really. You can get an ancillary(extras) cover which I could claim back a percentage of the scripts if they're over $35.40c per item. I need to be seen by a rheumie doc(out patient). Private health care does not cover that at all so I would have to go public or pay private full price.

At the moment my decision is to just take out the extras cover and I will attempt to save a little for any scripts or any other tests that maybe required for anyone in the future.

Guest guest30038
Its not called rip off australia for nothing..This place has to be the most expensive country in the world for everything..Its beyond belief how expensive this place is...For all people migrating to Australia make sure you bring lots and lots of cash with you as you will definately need it...Which other country in the world charges $ 9 for a pint of Guiness?

Just wait till you have to buy some lemons:shocked:....................and bananas..................$13 a kilo.................what's that all about then? :goofy:

Just wait till you have to buy some lemons:shocked:....................and bananas..................$13 a kilo.................what's that all about then? :goofy:

..... and $9 a kilo for chestnuts ... should have bought a pint of guiness

Guest Guest 47403

So for a family of 5 both adults healthy kids healthy eldest wears glasses.

What sort of private health care if any would people generally reccommend?

Baz

Guest Guest 47403
I personally would say just the ancillaries(extras). Perhaps have a fund for the unexpected costs.

So just things like dental, opticians and ambulance?

Guest JK2510
So just things like dental, opticians and ambulance?

Try looking at medibank,HIF and HBF websites. They go into alot of detail. Alot more than what I know. Lol

• 2 years later...

If you are 65 or over, eligible for Medicare, and have insurance through your or your spouse’s current job, in most cases you should at least take Part A (hospital insurance). For most people, Part A is free.

To decide whether to take Part B (medical insurance), for which everyone pays a monthly premium, you should ask your benefits manager or human resources department how your employer insurance works with Medicare and confirm this information with the Social Security Administration (SSA) and Medicare. Be aware that when you qualify for Medicare, your employer insurance may start to work differently for you. You will need to figure out whether paying for both types of coverage will be useful in offsetting your health care costs.

As a first step, assess whether your employer insurance will be primary or secondary to Medicare.

• Secondary insurers generally pay all or some of the unpaid portion of covered health care expenses only after the primary insurer has paid. For example, after Original Medicare pays, secondary insurance could pay for the remaining 20 percent of the cost of a doctor visit. Without primary insurance, in many cases insurance that is supposed to be secondary will cover very little or nothing at all. If your employer insurance will be secondary, you should generally take Medicare Parts A and B when you are first eligible.
  • Primary insurers pay first. Generally, you do not need Medicare Part B if you have employer coverage, unless you are unhappy with that coverage. However, you may still want to consider whether paying for both types of coverage would offset your health care costs, or whether it would be cheaper to have one or the other.

In either case, you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period to enroll in Medicare without penalty after you initially qualify. You can enroll in Medicare without penalty at any time while you have group health coverage and for eight months after you lose your group health coverage or you (or your spouse) stop working, whichever comes first.

In some cases if you have health coverage from your union or current or former employer when you become eligible for Medicare, your coverage may automatically convert into a Medicare private health plan (Medicare Advantage plan).

• You have the choice to stay with this plan, choose Original Medicare, or switch to another Medicare Advantage plan. Be aware that if you switch to Original Medicare or another Medicare Advantage plan instead, the employer or union could terminate or reduce your health benefits, the health benefits of your dependents, and any other benefits you get from your company. Talk to your plan before switching to find out how your health benefits and other benefits will be affected.

• 1 month later...

If you are over 31 when you arrive in Australia, they give you 12 months in which to get hospital cover (even basic cover) before they start charging you the 2% for every year over 31 on your private health instalements.

Also if you have adult children 18 and over some health funds take them off your fund and they have to take out their own health insurance, so that is something else to watch out for. Other health funds will cover them from between 21 and 25 years of age.

I am with HBF and they are going to do that with my son this year (he is 18 years of age). I am therefore going to change with a fund that will keep him on there for longer as he is only an apprentice and doesn't earn that much.

I have basic - intermeidate hospital cover and mid to top extras (dental, opticians etc.) This is what i am looking for at the moment. Its going to cost approx $128 - $150 a fortnight for two adults and one 18 year old depending on who i choose.

Hope this helps.

Archived