UK disposable income falls for the first time in 30 years

BrisDubBris

In the interests of fairness & balance, did anyone else see this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/ma...-fall-30-years

" Britons' take-home pay fell for the first time in three decades after prices rose faster than incomes last year, dealing a further blow to the prospect of an economic recovery.

Less than a week after George Osborne, the chancellor, downgraded the UK's growth forecasts for 2011 in his budget presentation, figures revealed that real household disposable income – the total income of Britain's working and unemployed populations after taxes and adjusted for inflation – dropped by 0.8% in 2010, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

The figures also showed that the decline is likely to accelerate to about 2.0% this year and flatten in 2012 as the biggest public spending cuts since the second world war begin in earnest, according to Vicky Redwood, of research group Capital Economics. "

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We are taking a big hit on our income, 3 year pay freeze and then on top of that we are going to have to pay 3% more into our pensions and get less than we were promised and have to wait 5 years more for it. As long as the bankers and MPs are alright, i don't mind funding their jollies.

We are taking a big hit on our income, 3 year pay freeze and then on top of that we are going to have to pay 3% more into our pensions and get less than we were promised and have to wait 5 years more for it. As long as the bankers and MPs are alright, i don't mind funding their jollies.

Hhhmmmm. Very frustrating. Both of us on pay freeze too, OH won't be getting increments either, increased pension payments and the child benefits gone. On top of that decreasing the childcare voucher scheme. We have worked out we will be around £3500 worse off next year. :) something to look forward to!!

Guest tandcmum

Tell me about it, I'm sat in costa at the moment feeling guilty cos I've spent two quid on a coffee. wages go absolute nowhere these days, we hAve the same amount coming in each month yet everything that has to go out has doubled, we are now living a life where we go nowhere in the car and do nothing on a weekend as we can't afford it

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We have lost a packet too............. we usually have 6 or 7 weeks on holiday abroad every year, we once manage 8 weeks, i think those days are gone. Joking aside some people are really struggling, i know we aren't, but we are still paying thousands to bail out the banks and the last governments mess they left behind.

Tell me about it, I'm sat in costa at the moment feeling guilty cos I've spent two quid on a coffee. wages go absolute nowhere these days, we hAve the same amount coming in each month yet everything that has to go out has doubled, we are now living a life where we go nowhere in the car and do nothing on a weekend as we can't afford it

It is going to get harder. With loss of income and increasing fuel prices I've had to start walking everywhere (I'm quite lazy generally). The kids cry when I get to school and try to bribe them with a lolly for the walk lol.

We have lost a packet too............. we usually have 6 or 7 weeks on holiday abroad every year, we once manage 8 weeks, i think those days are gone. Joking aside some people are really struggling, i know we aren't, but we are still paying thousands to bail out the banks and the last governments mess they left behind.

I know we've had it lucky really. We've always earned well but then you cut your cloth and with a big mortgage, family, two cars (both need them unfortunately) it is gonna get tighter. I know some families who are really struggling so I really feel I shouldn't moan. We will still manage to get a short UK holiday and buy what we need.

On a positive note I'm getting a lot of use out of my budget cookbooks and get really excited when I feed all 5 of us for less than £4.00. Especially if there are leftovers for the freezer!!! I wonder if feeding the OH lentils and chickpeas longterm is grounds for divorce :)

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I know we've had it lucky really. We've always earned well but then you cut your cloth and with a big mortgage, family, two cars (both need them unfortunately) it is gonna get tighter. I know some families who are really struggling so I really feel I shouldn't moan. We will still manage to get a short UK holiday and buy what we need.

On a positive note I'm getting a lot of use out of my budget cookbooks and get really excited when I feed all 5 of us for less than £4.00. Especially if there are leftovers for the freezer!!! I wonder if feeding the OH lentils and chickpeas longterm is grounds for divorce :)

You are probably a young lass, when we were younger it was a lot tougher, but we are now mortgage free after paying for one for 27,000 years lol and we have alot more money now, but i don't like not getting a pay rise for years when inflations going up like it is.

in the boom times did you allow for the inevitable bust? most knew it wouldnt last.

same in perth, boom at mo but at least be prepared for the bust.

by working hard in the uk for the last 3yrs and putting some away I can now take a mortgage break for a couple years and go back to perth, only thing i noticed is my house sale, dropped 25k but now going to rent.

my bil in perth dropped 100k on their house before being sold.

You are probably a young lass, when we were younger it was a lot tougher, but we are now mortgage free after paying for one for 27,000 years lol and we have alot more money now, but i don't like not getting a pay rise for years when inflations going up like it is.

Lol you sound like my dad!!!

Without me going through all your posts, you wouldn't be a nurse like me by any chance would you? I work part time, no chance of increasing my hours but work load increasing, possible redundancies and down grading, trying to alter our pension and on top of all that no chance of getting a state pension 'til i'm 67 if i ever get one:arghh:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Without me going through all your posts, you wouldn't be a nurse like me by any chance would you? I work part time, no chance of increasing my hours but work load increasing, possible redundancies and down grading, trying to alter our pension and on top of all that no chance of getting a state pension 'til i'm 67 if i ever get one:arghh:

My wifes the nurse and she is run ragged, with the shortages in staffing and extra work load, its the same at her hospital, downgrading, redundencies etc, but it same almost everywhere, they have save 1 million pounds each year where i work, for the last 3 years, theres hardly any staff left.

My wifes the nurse and she is run ragged, with the shortages in staffing and extra work load, its the same at her hospital, downgrading, redundencies etc, but it same almost everywhere, they have save 1 million pounds each year where i work, for the last 3 years, theres hardly any staff left.

I took my lad into Stoke Mandeville yesterday hoff as he dislocated his finger playing rugby, the guy who sorted him out was one of the nicest people i have come across, he could not do enough for my boy. He apologised to me as we had to wait a couple of hours and i said to him no worries your time is more important than mine and his reply was no it's my job, he was on a 12 hour shift!!:notworthy: Bankers can go **** themselves hoff people like that guy and you missus are the ones we should be looking after.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I took my lad into Stoke Mandeville yesterday hoff as he dislocated his finger playing rugby, the guy who sorted him out was one of the nicest people i have come across, he could not do enough for my boy. He apologised to me as we had to wait a couple of hours and i said to him no worries your time is more important than mine and his reply was no it's my job, he was on a 12 hour shift!!:notworthy: Bankers can go **** themselves hoff people like that guy and you missus are the ones we should be looking after.

You forget to mention me. lol what about us poor screws? Birmingham was privatised today, it should have been our nick, but we pulled our finger out and got a repreive, it looks like the union are going to ask us to take action though, we already voted awhile back and they have a mandate for strike action, which is the last thing i want to do.

Guest Bobby

Cameron must be stopped from running down this great NHS we have in the UK

I have been so impressed with the staff and how good the NHS is since I have been back in London,:notworthy: had to go to A&E a couple of months back for hand injury, I was in and out with an x-ray within the hour, in Oz that would have been half a day in my experience..

You forget to mention me. lol what about us poor screws? Birmingham was privatised today, it should have been our nick, but we pulled our finger out and got a repreive, it looks like the union are going to ask us to take action though, we already voted awhile back and they have a mandate for strike action, which is the last thing i want to do.

Sorry about that hoff but i was commenting on my experience in hospital, i could not possibly comment on a prison as i have never experienced one because i am a good boy:shocked::laugh:, but thinking about it you are doing a job i couldnt do so fair play:notworthy:

Archived