Claiming money for son still here

samozsoon

Hi everyone,

Would anybody know if my eldest son can claim anything to help towards his up-keep in the UK when we move to Oz in December?

He will be 18 in Nov and still at school doing A-Levels til June nx year (when he plans on joining us in Oz).

He will be staying with my brother-in-law and will have to drive about 15mile each way to school everyday, so we will have to give him petrol money as well as dinner money, and money for BiL for food......etc etc.

He does have a part-time job as a life guard so he does have his own money for going out.

He doesnt get that money for staying on at school (cant remember what its called) because hubby earns more than the limit.

Would he be able to get this once we've gone?

I've got to sort out my family allowance for him too.

So much to think about.......my head hurts.

Sam xx

Guest Cooper Clan
Hi everyone,

Would anybody know if my eldest son can claim anything to help towards his up-keep in the UK when we move to Oz in December?

He will be 18 in Nov and still at school doing A-Levels til June nx year (when he plans on joining us in Oz).

He will be staying with my brother-in-law and will have to drive about 15mile each way to school everyday, so we will have to give him petrol money as well as dinner money, and money for BiL for food......etc etc.

He does have a part-time job as a life guard so he does have his own money for going out.

He doesnt get that money for staying on at school (cant remember what its called) because hubby earns more than the limit.

Would he be able to get this once we've gone?

I've got to sort out my family allowance for him too.

So much to think about.......my head hurts.

Sam xx

HI

Once you leave the country in Dec. Your son may be eligiable for Education Maintenence Allowance. OR one similar for slightly older students (can't remember what that one's called).

Try EMA : Directgov - Education and learning

Goodluck

Thanks for that, will give them a ring I think.

Dont want to sound like a 'dole scrounger' though!! But anything is a help.

Just realised a few days ago what its going to cost us leaving him here!

As well as his day-to-day expenses we're also paying for him to come to America with us for Christmas and to Sydney to see us at Easter as well as his flights to Oz in June and the shipping of his stuff.

And all because I feel guilty at leaving without him!

Sam xx

I dont think you should feel bad or like a scrounger!! You are only looking out for your son who is doing the right thing and taking his A levels.

And dont ffel guilty sam hun, your doing it the right way, even though its hard. it wont be long till your all together again! The next year will fly by!

hays

Archived