Help! 1st class welder no longer TRA?

Viv n Rick

Hello,

My OH passed his AQF 111 in Engineering -Fabrication Trade on 09/03/11.:biggrin:

We have an agent who said we must submit our TRA form ASAP in order to submit our 176 visa before the changes on 1st July 2011. It is rumoured that after this time an offshore AQF will no longer be recognised!:arghh:

We completed and sent the TRA form to our agent, he received it on 27/03/11.

The agent rang today, 30/03/11, to say that TRA are no longer proccessing my OH trade and that it has to be done by VETASSESS. Does anyone have confirmation of this? I have trawled the internet and cannot find any info relating to this change. My OH has his qualification, I thought VETASSESS assesssed unrecognised skills? The TRA fee was $300, VETASSESS will want around $2,000. :swoon:My OH will have to have an additional technical interview lasting around 2 hours, he already completed a 40 minute interview for the AQF 111.

Can anyone help to clarify this situation? Have certain trades been moved from TRA to VETASSESS? or is our agent diddling us? If I had sent the TRA application myself, without an agent, it would have been there by now, would they have just sent it back?:realmad:

I would be really grateful for any info on all of this mess.:notworthy:

Guest Lucy G

Hi, my husband has applied for a 176 Visa as a First Class Welder & he got his skills assessed at the TRA. He's done an AQF III too. Although this was in Dec 2010 I have just looked at the DIAC website & it still states 1st Class Welder as TRA. I'm not sure if the amount of work experience etc has any bearing on where you get the skills assessed though but I would definitely as your agent to clarify. It is all really confusing anyway & ur paying them to make it simpler for you so I would ask.

Hope this helps and you get things sorted.

Lucy

Hi, my partner is a welder and currently having his skills assessed by vetassess. It changed from TRA to vetassess end of December. He was going to apply for an AQFIII and then send this to TRA, we filled in AQF paperwork end of last year and sent it off beginning of Jan to our agent, who had to contact us to say it had just changed and we can no longer go through TRA, but will have to go through vetassess. We having already done and passed stage 1 for welder and just waiting for the technical interview/practical assessment. So I'm afraid you can no longer go through TRA for 1st class welder. When did you start the AQFIII? AS you only passed last month, your agent should have been aware of this and told you if you folked out for AQFIII which isn't needed for vetassess as has a seperate process. However, maybe you can skip stage one for vetassess? I am not sure what happens now. Maybe contact vetassess about your situation and see what you will need to do now you have obtained the AQFIII.

Thanks, Lucy.

Guest Lucy G

Wow we were very lucky to get in when we did then! Sorry for my misinformed info Viv & thank you Lucy for setting the record straight. Best of luck to the both of you

Lucy:smile:

Hi Lucy,

I havn't done this before, but I hope I sent you a PM. We started the AQF process mid 2010, but were in no rush to complete it until talk of the July changes. As you said, because my OH did the AQF 111, we should go straight to the online interview and skip stage one. What did stage one entail?

Thanks

Viv.

Hi Lucy,

I havn't done this before, but I hope I sent you a PM. We started the AQF process mid 2010, but were in no rush to complete it until talk of the July changes. As you said, because my OH did the AQF 111, we should go straight to the online interview and skip stage one. What did stage one entail?

Thanks

Viv.

Hey Viv,

Stage one was the paper assessment. Detailed description of all previous jobs, tools used etc... A signed reference from employer to cover the pass 4 years. Then he was sent a tradeset questionaire online when you just answer yes or no if you could do the task in hand. There was also questions part on a form they sent where he typed up his experience for engineering operations,fabrication, welding and advanced welding.

Yes we started doing the application for AQF around October but like you were in no rush, we sent it back to agent beginning of Jan to find it had changed to vetassess, filled in new set of forms but lucky we could use a lot of the stuff my partner had already typed up. I didn't hear about July changes till Jan, then manic panic and rush!! It only changed last July, doesn't really give people much time to think how long some processes take such as vetassess and state sponsorship.:unsure:

Hopefully all will end well. Lucy x

Archived