Taking a bulldog to Oz

young2682

Hi all,

We attended the Australian expo today in London, having had a chat with Transfur we found out that Qantas dont fly English bulldogs to Oz due to them maybe having breathing difficulty on the plane as they have floppy cheeks??? This is also the case with boxers and pugs etc.

We will do everything it takes to take our precious pup with us and want to know if anyone has any suggestions on companies that will accept these dogs? Or does anyone have a bulldog and been told the same?

Any info is grately appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Young 2682, I am not sure that you have been informed correctly on that one????? We moved out to Queensland Oct 2009 and brought both our boxers with us!!! They travelled really well and did 4 weeks in sydney quarantine, they had no problems what so ever!!! I think someone is talking crap lol they both flew Qantas, both very healthy and happy out here. Don't know where you are in the UK but we lived in Yorkshire and used a pet shippers in Shropshire. The crates we had made for them were a little bigger due to there breathing and muzzle but they are fine. The shippers are called golden arrow, not the cheapest but they best we found, very proffesional and the dogs were very well catered for!!! Hope this helps :biggrin:

Hi, Thanks for the info, will contact the company you used.

The guy from Transfur said that we can take our bulldog but Qantas dont fly them and he mentioned boxers as another breed he 'thought' they also dont fly, maybe he got that one wrong. What annoyed us is that he said 'well you will pay a lot of money to get her there, its not cheap'?? Why would he assume that we wouldnt pay as much as it takes to get her out there!!

Thanks again for your reply, hope you are enjoying life in Oz, seems a millions years away for us..... :-)

Alex

I think this is a fairly recent change with the airlines - hence the fact that Lady Tottington was able to bring hers. I remember reading something about short nosed dogs or something in the last year or so and them not being transported anymore.

I will try and find a link.

Love

Rudi

x

"Restrictions apply to the following dog breeds: Brachycephalic (snub nosed) dogs (full bred only), Bull Dog (any breed), Pug, Pekingese, Boston Terriers and Japanese Chin. These breeds may be accepted on short distance flights of five hours or less, please contact Qantas Telephone Sales for further information. On flights greater than five hours we are unable to accept the above breeds due to their brachycephalic nature."

Travelling on a Qantas flight with your Pet

The changes came in as brachycephalic dogs have an increased risk of problems on long haul flights. Usually breathing related and overheating due to breathing problems and these types of dogs not being able to regulate their body temperature as well as the longer nosed breeds. It was found that a larger number of these types of dogs were dying in transit than non brachycephalic breeds , although I've only read about this in North American publications.

Many airlines have reviewed their policies to no longer carry brachycephalic dogs (eta - longer distances).

BA don't carry them either on a number of routes it would seem. PDF sheet on this http://www.iata.org/SiteCollectionDocuments/Documents/LAR36AddendumIENJune09.pdf

Consider one important factors when flying one of the snub nosed/flat faced breeds. If for any reason the flight carrying the dog is delayed it could mean the dog sitting somewhere warm in the crate (once crated they do not open to let the dog out till at the destination I was told by a pet shipping company). So your dog could easily start to get warm and not have a proper way of being able to cool down. Same if the animal is transferred at a refueling/changeover point. It is often muggy and hot in these countries where the layover/refuelling occurs (I know most times we've stopped in Singapore its been hot and humid).

A large number of airlines seem to have the policy I've posted below as standard, even for the non snub nosed breeds (and many of them don't carry brachycephalic dogs at all). Fwiw Boxer's are not on the list and are flown from what I understand. It is the truly snub nosed breeds this applies to.

Acclimation certificate:When runway temperatures are above 84 degrees at the departure airport the airline may refuse to board the pet in the cargo section. When runway weather are below 45 degrees at the time of departure the airline may require this document.

I'd contact pet shipping companies direct and see what they say on the matter. It may be that shorter distances is ok, but the longer haul ones are now limited options. Only they can really tell you.

Please also consider where you hope to live in Australia. Many parts are hot and humid, other parts are for a large part of the year are hot and dry. A bulldog will need to be able to remain cool and for a larger part of the day, sitting outside or going for a walk won't really be doable for a brachycephalic breed such as a bulldog or pug. Of course, people keep these types of dogs in Australia, but if you read up from decent breeders or breed sites of the breeds they usually say to ensure they are kept out of the heat as overheating (and complications from this) can arise. I'd say aircon would be needed. I did read somewhere less than 1000 british bulldogs are regged in Australia so there are not many of them around if this is true.

Good luck with it all. Do plenty of reading, call some pet shipping companies and go from there. Be prepared it may be if unable to fly out there, then the only option should you wish to still move to Aus is for your dog to be rehomed in the UK. There are a number of organisations set up to help rehome Bulldogs and I am sure they will be more than willing to help if it comes to it. I help two rescue organisations, one being breed specific and I know we do our utmost to ensure we place each dog with the best possible home. I am sure a Bully rescue/rehoming group would do the same. These breed specific groups are usually managed by people devoted to the breed so it goes without saying they do what they can for them.

Snifter thank you so much for this info, I am holding back the tears at the thought of not being able to take her with us :-( she is like our 3rd child..... we are in contact with her breeder and they said they would have her back at any time if we needed her rehomed.

We are looking at Tasmania at the moment.

I cant believe we didnt know this at the time as we have only had her 6 months.....

Really appreciate this info though

Alex

Snifter thank you so much for this info, I am holding back the tears at the thought of not being able to take her with us :-( she is like our 3rd child..... we are in contact with her breeder and they said they would have her back at any time if we needed her rehomed.

We are looking at Tasmania at the moment.

I cant believe we didnt know this at the time as we have only had her 6 months.....

Really appreciate this info though

Alex

Glad its of use. Sounds like your breeder is a good one if they are prepared to have the dog back should you not be able to take her with you. And she is still young enough to be able to settle well if you do rehome her. Dogs do adapt well for the most part (I foster for a rescue and have no end of dogs passing through and they all settle in within a few days generally).

I do hope you are able to find a way to take her with you, keep us posted :)

Guest guest37336

Hi Young.

Got a bulldog myself, no expert but this may help. I think you said you were going to Tassie, this could be the best bet reference the weather. Bulldogs do NOT cope well with hot weather etc, they are VERY prone to overheating and can become very poorly very quickly in too much heat.

Tassie I know has a milder climate so you should be OK, but best to be aware. Any move to other areas of Australia could make yours and your dogs life very complicated, unless you are prepared to put an ice cube into your dogs rectum (sad but true) to keep him cool I would recommend Tassie.

On that note my idiot dog is presently sitting under the sun-bed, blasting away at 100 degrees in the hope that it will prepare him for the move eventually, AGAIN.:biglaugh::no:

No but seriously it is worth contacting other bulldog breeder/clubs in Australia to see how their dogs cope.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

• 4 weeks later...
The changes came in as brachycephalic dogs have an increased risk of problems on long haul flights. Usually breathing related and overheating due to breathing problems and these types of dogs not being able to regulate their body temperature as well as the longer nosed breeds. It was found that a larger number of these types of dogs were dying in transit than non brachycephalic breeds , although I've only read about this in North American publications.

Many airlines have reviewed their policies to no longer carry brachycephalic dogs (eta - longer distances).

BA don't carry them either on a number of routes it would seem. PDF sheet on this http://www.iata.org/SiteCollectionDocuments/Documents/LAR36AddendumIENJune09.pdf

Consider one important factors when flying one of the snub nosed/flat faced breeds. If for any reason the flight carrying the dog is delayed it could mean the dog sitting somewhere warm in the crate (once crated they do not open to let the dog out till at the destination I was told by a pet shipping company). So your dog could easily start to get warm and not have a proper way of being able to cool down. Same if the animal is transferred at a refueling/changeover point. It is often muggy and hot in these countries where the layover/refuelling occurs (I know most times we've stopped in Singapore its been hot and humid).

A large number of airlines seem to have the policy I've posted below as standard, even for the non snub nosed breeds (and many of them don't carry brachycephalic dogs at all). Fwiw Boxer's are not on the list and are flown from what I understand. It is the truly snub nosed breeds this applies to.

Acclimation certificate:When runway temperatures are above 84 degrees at the departure airport the airline may refuse to board the pet in the cargo section. When runway weather are below 45 degrees at the time of departure the airline may require this document.

I'd contact pet shipping companies direct and see what they say on the matter. It may be that shorter distances is ok, but the longer haul ones are now limited options. Only they can really tell you.

Please also consider where you hope to live in Australia. Many parts are hot and humid, other parts are for a large part of the year are hot and dry. A bulldog will need to be able to remain cool and for a larger part of the day, sitting outside or going for a walk won't really be doable for a brachycephalic breed such as a bulldog or pug. Of course, people keep these types of dogs in Australia, but if you read up from decent breeders or breed sites of the breeds they usually say to ensure they are kept out of the heat as overheating (and complications from this) can arise. I'd say aircon would be needed. I did read somewhere less than 1000 british bulldogs are regged in Australia so there are not many of them around if this is true.

Good luck with it all. Do plenty of reading, call some pet shipping companies and go from there. Be prepared it may be if unable to fly out there, then the only option should you wish to still move to Aus is for your dog to be rehomed in the UK. There are a number of organisations set up to help rehome Bulldogs and I am sure they will be more than willing to help if it comes to it. I help two rescue organisations, one being breed specific and I know we do our utmost to ensure we place each dog with the best possible home. I am sure a Bully rescue/rehoming group would do the same. These breed specific groups are usually managed by people devoted to the breed so it goes without saying they do what they can for them.

I'm a vet and I just wanted to add hat I agree with the above. Bulldogs are great dogs but they do have extreme confirmation of their airways - a very large tongue, an overlong soft palate, a narrrow airway and they can really suffer if they overheat. I imagine a bulldog would really struggle in a hot climate (I advise them never to be walked on very hot days), and I would be very worried about sticking one on a long flight unaccompanied (where if they start to overheat from panting/stress etc no one is there to help).

Having said this Tasmania is cooler, and there can be a range in severity of the degree of the brachiocephalic face.

That's a really tough one and all the best in deciding what to do.

There was a recent case of a french bulldog (another brachycephalic breed) dying while waiting to be loaded onto a long haul flight from Australia to Germany. He was sat waiting for 3 hours and died before being put on the plane iirc. His cause of death isn't known as unfortunately no PM was done (something to do with the airline or some such cremating him before this had a chance to take place). But it would seem highly likely it was heat related as otherwise he was fit and well.

I was honestly surprised the airline still accepted these breeds on long haul flights anymore. I know I'd certainly not risk it for a brachycephalic breed to fly long haul.

Guest jojaks
Hi all,

We attended the Australian expo today in London, having had a chat with Transfur we found out that Qantas dont fly English bulldogs to Oz due to them maybe having breathing difficulty on the plane as they have floppy cheeks??? This is also the case with boxers and pugs etc.

We will do everything it takes to take our precious pup with us and want to know if anyone has any suggestions on companies that will accept these dogs? Or does anyone have a bulldog and been told the same?

Thanks in advance!

Hi we were planning on taking our American Bulldog with us. We were told by one of the big companys that the only people who would fly him was Cathay Pacific, We were also told that due to his bread the only Quarantine that would take him was Sydney !

We also have a Cavalier King Charles , The total cost for the trip for both dogs inclusive of Quarantine and vets fees etc was arround £10,000 ! Far more than we wanted to pay.

It was a very sad decision to have to make but we have found a great home for them with freinds who are taking both dogs.

Shop arround , but Pet Air seem to have the best reputation.

Regardless of the company, its the airlines who decide if they will carry brachycephalic type dogs. Many now refuse to or only for short haul flights, a few hours at most. I think anyone with this sort of dog needs to carefully consider the best interests of the dog and why airlines have now reviewed their policies on shipping them long haul. I know its recorded that more brachycephalic type dogs died in the US when flying than non brachycephalic types, hence most US airlines there refusing to carry them any longer.

24 hours on a flight plus the hours before the flight, during refuel or transfer and then once landing the other end makes for 30 or so hours stuck in a box. While many non brachycephalic will travel alright, the snub nosed breeds can really suffer. They are not able to regulate their body temperature and if they overheat it has potentially fatal consequences.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Hi we have a American bull dog x English bull dog x boxer, and we bought him to Sydney over 2 years ago, we had the same problem then, so its not that new.

We used a company by the name of pet airs they where fantastic and they shopped around for us.

Hope this hepls

Anita :biggrin:

Archived