Newbie - australian citizen moving back to Oz

riggsy

Hi All

Thought I would come on here for some much needed advice.

Im an aussie citizen as used to live in Perth for 10years (been living in UK for last 10), but me my british wife and 2 children are going to be heading back to Perth in a few years time :biggrin::biggrin:

thanks all..

Im in the process of looking at registering the children as Australian citizens, then will start the ball rolling with the wife applying for her partner visa

Hiya and welcome.

I'm married to an Aussie and he's been in the UK 5 years now. We registered our son at birth for Aussie citizenship and an Aussie passport and it was pretty straightforward. Got it all inside a few weeks. I think it will take a little longer if your kids are older but it shou'dn't be a problem.

Re your wifes spouse visa. Don't apply for it too early. Its not valid indefinately and needs to be used within a set time frame of being issued (or when medical results are in or something like that, check to be sure).

I'm planning on applying for mine about 6-9 months before we intend to go, depending on the wait time then. The wait time seems to be anything from weeks to 6 months. Depends on the case load at the time of applying and if they have a backlog. They usually tell you the average wait time on the official site when you are applying. If I applied a little while ago it was saying 4 months (so I'd have applied at least 6 months beforehand then). So a year before we are due to go, I shall get the paperwork, keep checking the site and sometime after that, apply. We are fine for booking our flights 2-3 months before we plan to leave and will make sure my visa is back before doing so. If it takes 6 weeks or 6 months then, I'll have plenty of time to make use of it :)

Archived