Renting in Melbourne

EMS1

Hi there,

Been a member for a while but I think this is my first post.

My wife and I are moving out to Melbourne at the beginning of May. It's our intention to rent out or property in the UK and in turn rent out a property in Melbourne for the first year. I have a couple of questions and wondered if anybody could offer some advice.

I'd read / heard that most people tend to sort out some sort of temp accomodation (say 4 weeks) which they give themselves to find a rental property. In peoples experience does it really take that long to sort something out. I'm not planning on starting work for 1 - 2 months after heading out so I'm going to have plenty of time to look. I'd thought that perhaps giving ourselves 2 weeks (we don't have kids so we can be pretty flexible and adaptive if need be).

Also with the work situation. Like I say I don't intend to start working straight away. I was wondering how estate agents / landlords may view that. I have statements from my mortgage company to say that my payments are up to date and I can show bank statements that prove I will be able to pay the rent. I simply want to have a bit of a break when I get out there and try to sort things out with a little less stress than having a full time job would add.

We headed out for a visit in November and had a look round all the suburbs so we're pretty clued in on where we want to stay and the type of property we are after.

I guess I just don't want to get lumped with a bill for temp accomodation that after hindsight we may not have needed. Serviced Apartment charges seem astronomical in Melbourne.

There is a lot of applicants for every rental so one cannot be sure that the rental will be yours. I have read on this forum that a lot of Brits pay six months up front to secure the rental. Some good property people barter the rent.

You say you know where you want to live so look at the real estate sites and see what is around.

You may or may not be able to find what you are looking for in a month. Depends on the market really.

Good luck

As petals has already pointed out, you will have to join the queue of people going after the same rentals, and although 2 weeks is not impossible, you might end up taking something you regret a little further down the road.

Also, if you are shipping furniture & belongings, a furnished rental offers more comfort than an empty rental. sitting in a half empty house and sleeping on inflatable mattresses for 8-9 weeks before your container arrives is not my idea fun :wink:

Depending on where you guys are thinking of starting off initially I expect you can rent a furnished place for anything from 500-750 a week because its just the 2 of you, and an unfurnished rental will be at least 350p.w and probably more. You then have all your bills on top, so its not actually that much of a difference for just a couple of weeks.

Hi EMS1,

We're in the same boat as you although we're settling in Geelong so prices are a bit more manageable.

We've gone for 4 nights in a hotel in Melbourne and then 4 week short term rental in a holiday apartment in Geelong. Its much more up market than big4 but not as costly as Quest or something similar (although it could be classed as serviced)

My sister in law who already lives in Melbourne reckons two weeks might be a bit too short given that its not always easy to line up viewings when you want. In addition, you need to get utilities etc. sorted plus get references taken etc.

I reckon two weeks is too short, with three about the ideal, although others might have differing views. we've gone for four but that's mainly to have time to gets the kids schools sorted so this isn't an issue for you.

You're right about the cost of serviced apartments though, and the cost can really mount up.

Hope this helps

However, you don't want to feel rushed into taking the first thing that comes along so you have to weigh the cost of an extra week against the additional time it gives you.

Hi thanks for the responses guys.

I was actually planning on offering the 6 months rental up front for the property anyway to speed along the chances of securing one. If it's a place we really want I can offer them 9 - 12 months if they like.

We're not really shipping that much out to be honest. Just mountain bikes, snowboards, books and electronics to be honest. We were planning on buying new when we get there. So I don't have any issues on whether the place is furnished or not. Plus not working for the first month or two gives me time to sort it all out.

Been looking on Domain and have seen quite a few properties that would be suitable for us around about the $650 a week range so I'm pretty confident on finding something relatively quick.

I've also been looking at hotels on last minute and should I need to get one for an extra week it doesn' really seem to have an impact on the price or availability with it being at very short notice.

I think we're going to chance it and go for two weeks!

Will let you know how we get on!

Guest MontyClaude

Good luck, hopefully you find something you like quickly. We'll be moving in October and will have about 3 weeks before the animals come out of quarantine so I'm really hoping that's long enough. Also, hope we don't have to pay 6 months rent up front as we won't have 15 to 20K to tie up.

If you already have work, or can produce bank statements that show you are low risk, you shouldnt have to pay more than a couple of weeks & bond up front.

There are quite a few that have done it, but we have had plenty of new arrivals and all have found rentals within an average of 3 weeks without having to pay out big lump sums in advance.

Ones that I can think of have moved to Lilydale, Tecoma, Montrose, Monbulk, Altona & Dandenong, so all spread out. When we first arrived we got a rental in Tecoma as well and all I did was give a covering letter that I had full time employment from my new employer and that was enough.

I would personally be wary of paying out such large sums for a rental in advance when you dont know the area because you have only been in the country for a few weeks.

Guest MontyClaude

We rented in Sydney and Melbourne from 2004 to 2006 and only ever paid the months bond and rent, but I'm worrying now because that was a long time ago and we have pets. My OH should have a job lined up before we go, fingers crossed we get something.

You've got to factor in that the open for inspections (viewing time for the property) are probably only once a week and you'll find that if you're interested in a few rental properties, the opens will be at the same time, so it would be very difficult to sort in a couple of weeks.

Vacancy rate for properties in Melbourne is around 1.4% at moment as well, so as others have mentioned, competition is tough, expect there to be quite a lot on interest in each property.

Guest MontyClaude

It's okay, I've decided I'm going to win €125 Million in the euro millions tonight.......then all money worries associated with the move shall be erased :daydreaming::laugh:

Guest shooterguy

we came out in January. Though we have two kids so bit of a diferent situation. I'd honestly say get something for 4 weeks. When you look on domain or real.com.au, the photo's make them look fantastic. The reality is often very different. I'm a keen photographer and know my way round photoshop, but whoever the agents get to photograph the houses can make a dump look like a palace.

Once you are tied into a rental and you find you don't like it it can cost to get out of it.

If you have to end up living in a small hotel room for 4 weeks or longer right at the start with all the other hassles, it might start to cause friction you could do without.

Right ok.

I feel I need to clear a few things up.

I'm not expecting to have to pay 6 months up front. I'm simply willing to do it because I can if it makes me a prefferential choice over another applicant. I'm only looking at Brighton, Hampton and Sandringham. I visited Melbourne last year to go through all the suburbs and see where I wanted to live. Which we did. It's possible that we may not like where we rent but that's why we are renting and not buying. If we rent a place for 6 months or a year then we are contracted to stay there for that time. So whether we pay the money up front or not is simply a matter of whether you have it to offer or not. Companies do it all the time when relocating employees.

We've already spoken to Real Estate agents in the areas we are looking at and have been advised that the time we are looking is optimum in the Melbourne rental market. I've also spoken with a friend of a friend who moved over at the same time last year and they had a rental sorted within 2 weeks.

Like I say - I'll let you know how I get on :biggrin:

• 2 months later...

well just thought I'd give you all an update. been here 8 days and we have viewed approximately 10 properties and made 2 applications. our 2nd application was accepted last night. some properties were viewing at set time but the majority would meet us there on request.

apparently this is a quiet time of year for rentals.

Also didn't have to pay extra months rent up front. Most agents saw that as more of a hassle that benefit!

• Like 1

Also didn't have to pay extra months rent up front. Most agents saw that as more of a hassle that benefit!

Thats quite quick. well done.

I read stories of people paying minths upfront, but that seems to be more the minority, and never in Melbourne.

The market seems to have eased a bit as well, which takes some of the stress out of things as well.

Guest MontyClaude
well just thought I'd give you all an update. been here 8 days and we have viewed approximately 10 properties and made 2 applications. our 2nd application was accepted last night. some properties were viewing at set time but the majority would meet us there on request.

apparently this is a quiet time of year for rentals.

That's great news, are you moving in straight away? Did you view properties all in one suburb? Good luck with it all.

We just secured an apartment, and the application for the rent is a major pain in the a$$. Since the OH is Australian, he just needs to supply his photo ID, and for me, passport, and another supporting photo ID so I gave them my driving license. Plus, they would also want your proof of income, to see if you're able to pay the rent apparently? Isnt that what the bond is for? So we gave them OH's offer letter and they're pretty happy with that, i haven't receive my offer of employment by that time, so can't give them those. But they approved our application anyway... Paid bond, 1 wk of rent in deposit during application and remaining 3wks rent as first month's rent.

Had to call up direct connect (http://www.directconnect.com.au/) to get our electricity/gas/water/etc hooked up as well - means we can't move in the next day (in malaysia, they never cut off the electricity/gas/water and it remains under the landlord's name all the time!). So it's a new experience for me!

We're moving in tomorrow, hope there's electricity and water LOL.

• 7 years later...
On 22/03/2011 at 00:52, EMS1 said:

Hi there,

Been a member for a while but I think this is my first post.

My wife and I are moving out to Melbourne at the beginning of May. It's our intention to rent out or property in the UK and in turn rent out a property in Melbourne for the first year. I have a couple of questions and wondered if anybody could offer some advice.

I'd read / heard that most people tend to sort out some sort of temp accomodation (say 4 weeks) which they give themselves to find a rental property. In peoples experience does it really take that long to sort something out. I'm not planning on starting work for 1 - 2 months after heading out so I'm going to have plenty of time to look. I'd thought that perhaps giving ourselves 2 weeks (we don't have kids so we can be pretty flexible and adaptive if need be).

Also with the work situation. Like I say I don't intend to start working straight away. I was wondering how estate agents / landlords may view that. I have statements from my mortgage company to say that my payments are up to date and I can show bank statements that prove I will be able to pay the rent. I simply want to have a bit of a break when I get out there and try to sort things out with a little less stress than having a full time job would add.

We headed out for a visit in November and had a look round all the suburbs so we're pretty clued in on where we want to stay and the type of property we are after.

I guess I just don't want to get lumped with a bill for temp accomodation that after hindsight we may not have needed. Serviced Apartment charges seem astronomical in Melbourne.

We booked an AirBandB for the first three weeks, but we found our rental in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne within 14 days of arriving.  We offered 3 months rent in advance and had references and all the paperwork etc.  We uploaded onto our realestate.com.au profile and so it was easy to one click apply if you were at a property.  There is lots of competition for rentals in some suburbs of Melbourne, depending on where you're thinking, and do a good cover letter explaining your situation and attach bank accounts to show proof of savings to cover rent and/or job offer letters, etc.  You will be up against locals who have XX years rental history and/or job security that you can't compete with just stepping off a plan.

We had a month off before starting work when we arrived so we could settle into Victorian life as a family before sticking a daily commute into the mix.