AHPRA Registration AT LAST - Now for phone interview. KNOX Private Hospital

Guest brisbane82

Guest Ferrywebs

as i was here before my registration was approved, i had phoned the charge nurse, or as they say here NUM (nurse unit manager), to say i was able to start, then went to admin to fill out paperwork, uniform and pic for ID badge, then went to ward to fit me into off duty.shifts are 7-3, 2-10 and 21.30-07.30.I had phoned a month earlier to ask if i should go in to be measured for uniform, but was told it would be fine, i took a month to get uniform, luckily they had a few spare or i would have had to wear my own clothes as i have seen others do, as they didnt have their size. So have plain black/navy trousers with you just incase. for the 1st 3 days i was supernumerary and followed people around and generally helped out, then got my own patients.they do everything different here, you get 5 patients, there are no auxiliaries, you give out drugs from patients cupboard (no drug trolleys), wash them, make bed, ob`s etc. There is 1 person in charge of the ward every shift who does not have patients who you ask if you need doc to see patient, need drugs written up and they do all the phoning for you. They also hand over the whole ward to next shift and update computer and do all the discharges ! I am used to doing all that myself, find it very slow, nothing ever gets done as no docs on ward. They practically do self rosta as everyone puts in what shifts they want as they just make the rosta up from that.not many of them did nights before i came, but now they are all taking their turn, doesn`t bother me , ive been doing them for 6 years.The good thing about working nights is you get paid $60 per night just for turning up, i just did 2 weeks, so got a great wage :) I worked in ortho in Ninewells in Dundee, this ward seems to admit anyone, hardly any ortho patients. They also call us Div 1, then there are Div 2 who many cant give out drugs or do iv`s, which means you end up doing their work too. They are basically getting a nurses wage to do auxiliary work, not right ! Well hope this all help, let me know if you have anymore questions, Lee x

Guest Ferrywebs

I had my medical in Edinburgh, if you are on a 457 visa and the main applicant only you need to get medical. My husband didn`t get one as was told it was not needed

, Lee.

Thank you , will have a look at that website but like you say think it is going to be a case of having a good look once over there...... not long for you 4 weeks !!! hope everythinh has gone smoothly for you!! Im having a bit of a nightmare getting registration finalised missing documents which have been near imposible to get hold of !!! getting there now though and will hopefully be out there end of Aug!!! I have booked meds today as there is a bit of a wait so didnt want it to hold us up anymore than necessary!!! I know i have to get full med but do you know what my Hubby will need by any chance ? have booked him in for full but been told he may not need full ?? good luck anyway x x x

Guest jeng

yeah 4 weeks its coming round very quickly! I had a nightmare of time with registration was nearly 9 months in total. like lee said for a 457 its only the person being sponsored who requires medical so I would cancel the 1 for ur hubby as they are not cheap.

Ill keep u updated once there if I get any further forward with schools,hope it all gets sorted for u sn x

Guest jeng

thanks Lee u have been great help, def more prepared now. Ill hopefully see u in june meet in person.

Guest Ferrywebs

ok no probs Jen, let me know when your settled and we can meet up :smile:

thanks Lee u have been great help, def more prepared now. Ill hopefully see u in june meet in person.

Guest fitz sher

Hi,

Interesting comments from all you nurses going to OZ. I have AHPRA registration but am finding it very hard to get sponsorship.My speciality is Women's Health.Looking for work as registered smear taker, family planning, colposcopy etc.

If anybody hears of sponsorship in this area can you please let me know. All my family have relocated and am desperate to get there also.

Cheers

MKF

Hi all nurses,

Interesting comments from all you nurses going to OZ. I have AHPRA registration(nurse/midwife) but am finding it very hard to get sponsorship.My speciality is Women's Health.Looking for work as registered smear taker, family planning, colposcopy etc.

If anybody hears of sponsorship in this area can you please let me know. All my family have relocated and am desperate to get there also.

Cheers

MK

• 2 months later...
Guest Amesbury

Hi all, I got a job offer at Knox Hospital to start 1 November in ortho. Does anyone know what it is like, workwise? I am a registered nurse. I have already applied for my 457 visa have medicals next week. Does anyone know how long the visa takes? Pls help.

Not a nurse but we use Frankston Hospital and its ok. My daughter's friend is a nurse and she works there on and off. My friend's sister also everyone comes and goes.

The one thing is that you get to live in a nice area near the beach and being in an established area has all services etc. Also near enough to new estate areas if that is the type of housing you like.

Good luck

Thank you for that Petals, any information helps. I hope to get sponsorship as a midwife in Frankston and trying to get a feel for the hospital. My son and his family are living in Mornington.

MKF

Guest Amesbury
Hi my name is Lee, i had an interview in Sept and got a job in ortho in Knox private hospital. My husband and i arrived here Jan 19th, im just waiting on verification letter from NMC in Scotland so hopefully start work next week. We are renting a house round the corner from the hospital. Let me know if you get the job so i can look out for you at work.

Hi Lee and Jen

I want to thank you for all the information that you have exchanged with other pominoz subscribers. It is so helpful. Myself will be starting work in ortho @ Knox. I am waiting for my visa. Pls keep in touch.

Guest Ferrywebs

Hi do you know what ward or type of ward you are going to be working in ? Jen and i are both in ortho. Where are you coming from and what age are you ? Lee

Hi Lee and Jen

I want to thank you for all the information that you have exchanged with other pominoz subscribers. It is so helpful. Myself will be starting work in ortho @ Knox. I am waiting for my visa. Pls keep in touch.

Guest Amesbury
Hi do you know what ward or type of ward you are going to be working in ? Jen and i are both in ortho. Where are you coming from and what age are you ? Lee

I will be base in orthopaedics but was not told which ward, guess will know soon. Well I'm in my thirties and I currently live in Salisbury, UK.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Amesbury
Hi my name is Lee, i had an interview in Sept and got a job in ortho in Knox private hospital. My husband and i arrived here Jan 19th, im just waiting on verification letter from NMC in Scotland so hopefully start work next week. We are renting a house round the corner from the hospital. Let me know if you get the job so i can look out for you at work.

Hie Lee

I just want to know if you are still working in orthopaedics. I got a job in ortho as well and will be starting soon. I would be so grateful if you can share any of ur experiences there please.

I will be base in orthopaedics but was not told which ward, guess will know soon. Well I'm in my thirties and I currently live in Salisbury, UK.

Hi I just got my visa today was very quick compared to the wait I had for registration from AHPRA !! the visa came through in less than 2 weeks !!!

Not got a start date yet need to give notice on current job etc but working towards starting at Knox end of Nov, my job offer was in theatre.

Archived