Here a month now

Phil & Vikki

We have been here a month now and we are loving it. We originally wanted to go to Perth as we have family there and have been there quite a few time. We came to Sydney with work on only being here once before in the past. We originally did not think we would like Sydney due to it being busy, as we come from a quiet place in the UK. However, we have been here a month and love it. Yes it is busy now and then, but link in the UK, if you are prepared to go out a few minutes earlier you can miss the crowds.

We live in Milsons Point and love how easy it is to get around in Sydney. the trains are so much better than the UK and on the past Fridays, the walk home has been over the bridge looking at the Harbour and the Opera House. Never had that kind of view on the Friday drive home from work in the UK.

We are also being able to cut our shopping bills down by finding the cheaper places to shop such as the markets and places like that, which all help. Originally we were really worried about the cost of living but have found that we can bring that down for a family of four.

We put this post on to try and reassure anyone who found themselves in the same position as us, that give it a go. It may not be the location you wanted, but if you work at it, it can turn out nice and you will end up loving the place you are in.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Great helpful post, sounds like your loving it, give us more info............ pleeeeeeeese. lol

best of luck.

Guest Guest16631

glad to hear you have settled in we live in queensland ,have done for 19 years but lived in sydney about ooooooh a long time ago ,visit the rocks when you can I love it round there also circular quay.:smile:

Guest siamsusie
Lol Luna Park, we have been in there to look around but our son is just a bit too small to go on the rides. Every time we go past there he keeps on asking if he has grown enough in the last few day, to which we have to say nope sorry.

:cry::cry::cry:thats so so sad poor wee man:cry:

It sure is for him, but we keep on taking him past there so he can see the lights and keep on checking on the wall chart. One day he will but there though but until then there is the views or the harbour and the rides on the ferry that he really likes.

We have been here a month now and we are loving it. We originally wanted to go to Perth as we have family there and have been there quite a few time. We came to Sydney with work on only being here once before in the past. We originally did not think we would like Sydney due to it being busy, as we come from a quiet place in the UK. However, we have been here a month and love it. Yes it is busy now and then, but link in the UK, if you are prepared to go out a few minutes earlier you can miss the crowds.

We live in Milsons Point and love how easy it is to get around in Sydney. the trains are so much better than the UK and on the past Fridays, the walk home has been over the bridge looking at the Harbour and the Opera House. Never had that kind of view on the Friday drive home from work in the UK.

We are also being able to cut our shopping bills down by finding the cheaper places to shop such as the markets and places like that, which all help. Originally we were really worried about the cost of living but have found that we can bring that down for a family of four.

We put this post on to try and reassure anyone who found themselves in the same position as us, that give it a go. It may not be the location you wanted, but if you work at it, it can turn out nice and you will end up loving the place you are in.

Thank you so much for this, we were hopeing for Perth, Victoria or queensland, and i too was extremly worried about the cost of living,,, it is refreshing to hear good news of sydney, cost of living is also worrying me, I have spreadhseets for everything....LOL Now I cant wait for the move.... Thank you :notworthy:

Glad to hear you are enjoying Sydney. We have our Visa's but still quavering over melbourne/sydney. We have 3 kids aged 9,6 & 3 and wish to send them to a Catholic school(being Irish and all that).

Think Sydney due to the weather being better - i think. Lived in Sydney for 12 mnths and only visited Melbourne once and all I can remember is that Melbourne was cold and when we returned to Sydney it was quite warm.. was I dreaming:)

Need to book our tickets this weekend - so any help greatly appreciated:frown::laugh::daydreaming::wacko:

Thank you so much for this, we were hopeing for Perth, Victoria or queensland, and i too was extremly worried about the cost of living,,, it is refreshing to hear good news of sydney, cost of living is also worrying me, I have spreadhseets for everything....LOL Now I cant wait for the move.... Thank you :notworthy:

We know that you mean we felt like this too and it has taken us a bit of time to start feeling good. The best thing we found to do was to get into a routine as soon as you can. Get into work, kids at school, finding where to go shopping for the best deals and things like that helps, we found.

We were worried about the cost of living and shopping, as we had heard bad stories about how expensive things were. It is true that things do cost a bit, but if you are prepared to look around you can find places that sell things a bit cheaper. This all helps to keep the cost down.

We know that you mean we felt like this too and it has taken us a bit of time to start feeling good. The best thing we found to do was to get into a routine as soon as you can. Get into work, kids at school, finding where to go shopping for the best deals and things like that helps, we found.

We were worried about the cost of living and shopping, as we had heard bad stories about how expensive things were. It is true that things do cost a bit, but if you are prepared to look around you can find places that sell things a bit cheaper. This all helps to keep the cost down.

I know its a wirlwind of emotiions isn't it. Dont get me wrong i am very aware of what a wonderful opportunity this is and I cant wait to change our lives, and if it was 8 years ago i wouldn't think twice, but with 2 young kids in tow you have to question everything, but i think its just the unknown thats scarey.... I have to remind myself that thousands of people have made the move for the better and well that speaks for itself.... Thank you for your positive posts it really does make a difference, and keep me posted on how your getting on.....

Guest Sam C
It may not be the location you wanted, but if you work at it, it can turn out nice and you will end up loving the place you are in.

It sounds like you've done pretty well settling in Milsons Point - it's amazing around there! What a great location! It's great that you guys are settling in well, and it makes me feel better about the cost of living, I was dreading the price of food once we got there!

BTW me and my GF are moving to Sydney (her hometown) in December hopefully, and we can't wait!

It sounds like you've done pretty well settling in Milsons Point - it's amazing around there! What a great location! It's great that you guys are settling in well, and it makes me feel better about the cost of living, I was dreading the price of food once we got there!

BTW me and my GF are moving to Sydney (her hometown) in December hopefully, and we can't wait!

Thanks Sam, sounds great that you will be here in December. Yep the cost of living and food can be bad but at the end of the day if people are prepared to shop at the markets and Aldi they can get it cheaper than the shops like Coles. At the end of the day it is what the budget will allow.

Wish you all the best with your move over and when you get here give us a shout.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

I agree with the others....its nice to hear some positive posts!!

We are waiting for our visa's for Sydney - should be around October/November. We are having the same mixed emotions - one minute it seems like a great idea and the next we wonder what an earth we are doing!?! We have 2 children as well (5 and 18 months) which makes every thing so much harder!

Congrats on the move and thanks for the positive vibe!

All the best.

Steve.

Archived