AHPRA - South African Nurses

jayandjay

Hi everybody.

Are there any South African nurses here? Or anyone that could help with some info.

I am a registered nurse, trained in South Africa, first registered with SANC in 1999 and have been livnig and working in the UK since 2003.

I originally started my Australian nursing registration application with Queensland, but this was in June last year, so has now been moved over to AHPRA. After months of waiting and no response from them, I have finally received an email from my allocated registration case worker.

As I was trained in South Africa, she has requested evidence of adaptation training from the time I first registered in the UK (Aparently this is a requirement for all South African nurses).

I have contacted the NMC, and they have told me that they only started doing this in 2005, and as I came over in 2003, it was not a requirement for me. And now because I'm already registered over here and not in South Africa, there is no available adaptation program available for me to do.

If anyone has any information or suggestions, please could you let me know.

I have also posted a similar request on SAAustralia forum.

Thanks you all.

J

Thanks for your reply maslyn.

That would seem like an obvious suggestion but believe it or not, the NMC's standpoint is that they are adamant that Australia should just accept the fact that I am registered in the UK. And they only issue standard letters. This is apparently not something covered by any or their standard letters and so they have told me they can't help me at all. I've tried calling them a few times, but whoever I speak to tells me they can't help me.!!!

Quite frustrating :(

• 1 year later...
Guest froglet

Jayandjay..I'm in the middle of my application and now I'm very concerned. Like you, I trained in South Africa having done the 4 year diploma and completed it in 1991, have since had my qualifications and registration accepted in both Germany and the UK, have worked both there and now in the UK since 1996, and have no idea what an adaptation program is!! Was your application turned down just on that basis, or did they get you through without it? I don't want to pay shedloads of money and waste my time going through all this only to be turned down on a technicality.....

Archived