emails from department of energy regarding 'A' License for electricians in WA

Guest lloyd1980

Guest lloyd1980

Hi all just thought I would give you this info as I have found it VERY informative

I emailed the Dept of Energy in WA ref obtaining a license when arriving they sent me this.

Hi Lloyd

Your choice if you wish to be assessed before you leave or if you wait until you are in Australia. VETASSESS will assess in your country of origin and TRA will assess if you are already in Australia.

Once we have received your application and you have been assessed by us we will send you to do the Electrical Trade Licensing Course and when you have successfully completed the course you will be granted your Licence according to the endorsement you have bee assessed by either VETASSESS or TRA.

If you have been assessed as an Electrical Mechanic and once you have been granted your Licence you can then apply to do the Electrical Contractors Training Program so that you may be a self employed electrician/contractor. You can not do this process until you have been granted a full electricians licence with no restrictions.

Below is the link to the application form you will need once you have been assessed by either VETASSESS or TRA

http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/EnergySaf...018%200710.pdf

Cheers

Robyn Nelson

Senior Customer Service Officer - Licensing Office

EnergySafety | Department of Commerce

* PO Box 135 Cannington WA 6987 | Level 1 Mason Bird Building, 303 Sevenoaks Street, Cannington WA 6107

I then asked them to clarify exactly what the cert needs to read from VETASSES so I get an unrestricted license enabling me to go self employed, and got this back ;

Hi Lloyd

If you are assessed by TRA it needs to be Electrical Mechanic if you are

assessed by VETASSESS it needs to read

Offshore Technical Skills Record in relation to Units of Competency

within the Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician

Cheers

Robyn Nelson

Senior Customer Service Officer - Licensing Office

EnergySafety | Department of Commerce

* PO Box 135 Cannington WA 6987 | Level 1 Mason Bird Building, 303

Sevenoaks Street, Cannington WA 6107

so all those about look into licenses , I hope this helps

I intend to go self employed after 12 months experience working there to get me up to speed with their ways of doing things, I know know what I need to get an unrestricted license.

Hope this helps someone like it helped me

:biggrin: happy days

Lloyd

Hi, thanks for sharing this. I've been assessed as an "electrician special class" which in the UK should be something like a maintenance electrician. Do you know whether I need the same licence to be allowed to do this job?

Hi Jimcz,

I posted some info on this THREAD which may be of some use to you.

Regards Derren

Archived