First steps

matimage

Hi All,

First post here so be gentle :wink:

Just starting the ball rolling on emigrating to Australia.

My wife will be the primary applicant. She is a secondary school science teacher with over 10 years experience.

I am a self employed graphic/new media designer but have eased up to be at home with our 2 daughters aged 2 and 4 months.

We have family in Sydney (uncle and auntie and several cousins) who are willing to sponsor us and to help us out, put us up for the first few weeks, pick us up from airpot etc.

We clear the 100 points mark (Visa subclass 176). We have been told that this visa could take 3 years.

We have also been looking at Adelaide and seen on their state migration list they need teachers.

So would a state sponsored visa be a quicker route or could that still take around 3 years?

We are aware we are very lucky to have great relatives who are willing to help us so much so we would hate to not take advantage of that situation.

Any opinions would be gratefully received.

Also, hate to think about it, but my wife's uncle and auntie in Sydney aren't exactly spring chickens. If they sponsored us and something bad was to happen to them within the 3 year application window does that affect our visa?

oh is secondary school teacher and we applied for 176.

We lodged visa application in Oct 2010 and received visa just before xmas 2010.

I would say get registered with the SA teaching authority (VIT for victoria).

This was a prerequisite to getting state sponsorship for Vic.

I believe DIAC ae quoting between 12 and 18 months for processing 176 visas.

I would take a look at the threads on SA sponsorship to give you a idea how long it is taking pio members.

All the best with the move.

Guest owenker4

All the experts are saying 176 state sponsor is much quicker than the 176 family, so if you want to be there sooner rather than later I would go for SS. Good luck with it all, it tests ya patience but Im told on a number of occasions it's all worth it in the end.

Waiting to hear back from our SA state sponsor submitted 13th January

Neil & Kerry

176 state sponsorship is defo the way to go rather than with family sponsorship......state sponsorship would put you cat 2 and about a 12 month wait where as family sponsored would put you cat 4 and a much longer wait.......you could possibly get in even quicker if you can find a school willing to offer you a job and sponsor you !!!!! failing that maybe your graphic designer occupation would help you find an employer sponsor......

Best bet would be to get your family over there to put themselves about for you and see if they can find an employer willing to sponsor you......

Thanks all.

Been checking on the SA state sponsorship and one has to have visited there or have a network there. Neither of which apply to us. We travelled to Queensland and NSW recently and our network of family is in Sydney.

Does anyone know if we go the family sponsored route, if we have to stay in the same state as our family for 2 years?

Thanks all.

Been checking on the SA state sponsorship and one has to have visited there or have a network there. Neither of which apply to us. We travelled to Queensland and NSW recently and our network of family is in Sydney.

Does anyone know if we go the family sponsored route, if we have to stay in the same state as our family for 2 years?

Really not sure about that, but given that the sponsoring family member are putting their names forward as garantees to yourselves I would imagine you would be expected to stay within a reasonable radius of them for a certain time scale......maybe similar time to a state sponsorship...........have you checked out the info on DIAC website ???

Yes, thats the problem. DIAC website isn't clear on 176 family sponsorship. In obligations it only lists state sponsored requirements:

1. You and any secondary applicants must comply with all Australian laws as permanent residents.

2. If you are nominated by a State or Territory government, you need to agree to:

remain in the State or Territory for a period of at least two years

keep the State or Territory government informed of changes in address details before and after arrival

be prepared to complete surveys and provide information as required.

There seem to be no obligations for family sponsored?

Further to the above, can we apply for SA SS then if that fails switch to family sponsored?

The only thing I think we would fail on for SA SS is that we have never visited SA and our family network is in Sydney. According to SA website, we should have these things to demonstrate our interest in SA.

The only difference I can think of between the 175 independant and the 176 family (offshore) visas are that one is "underwritten" by your relative, there are NO restriction legally or morally to where you live or what you work at etc.

That said since July last year you cannot "swap" visa types to change from a family 176 to a state 176 you would have to lodge a new application with fee.. also given the priorities a state sponsored visa has certainly more likelyhood of being considered sooner!..

If you wanted to "hedge" your bets you could lodge two seperate visas but that would double the cost of application..

hope that helps.

- 4lan.

Hmmm, don't think double application is going to be an option.

Would we go though the SS process before we submit the visa application? In that case I presume we would know if SA want us before we incur the visa costs?

unless you wanted to lodge two visas you would HAVE to successfully obtain SA state sponssorship THEN lodge your visa appplication (quite certain of this but someone I'm sure will confirm).

- 4lan.

Yes, thats what I am trying to get at.

If in the first instance we go for SS, then if we fail because we have no network in SA we can then lodge our family sponsor visa.

Is that correct? (and how long does SS evaluation take?)

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated!

Yes, thats what I am trying to get at.

If in the first instance we go for SS, then if we fail because we have no network in SA we can then lodge our family sponsor visa.

Is that correct? (and how long does SS evaluation take?)

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated!

If I were applying now I would secure the SS first, puting emphasis on other aspects of the requirements such as employment etc. skills and research of costs and places to live and so on. trying to make as much a positive case to get the grant as possible.

then lodge either a state or family sponsored visa depending on the out come.

and happy to help ;¬D

- 4lan.

Guest VickyMel

I think SA are moving quite quickly with SS compared to many states - plus things are also moving very fast with Cat 2 (state sponsored applications at the moment).

Check this thread on the PIO sister site for Adelaide

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/adelaide-migration-issues/21769-sa-state-sponsored-timeline.html

If you go state sponsored - you commit to live and work in the state for 2 years - potentially if you spend 2 years in SA you may still get to move to Sydney faster than you would have done if you had gone for family sponsorship which has dropped appallingly in priority over the last few years.

The other thing might to wait to see what is on the NSW SMP - or check what was on their previously to try and guess whether you r occupation is - I think they have a very short list though.

VickyMel

It is coming as a bit of a shock as to how long family sponsor takes. I don't think there is any chance of chosen profession being on the new NSW SS list (whenever that comes out!).

I am taking everything you all say onboard.

We could have the option of getting employment sponsored in NT Groote Eylandt. Family member is head master there. Its proper out of the way though, crocs everywhere! Might be too much of a culture shock for us!

We could have the option of getting employment sponsored in NT Groote Eylandt. Family member is head master there. Its proper out of the way though, crocs everywhere! Might be too much of a culture shock for us!

just keep the garden gate locked and you should be fine from the crocs!!

The wife secured NT state sponsorship along with a visa this month after 30 odd months of waiting!.. So we'll be moving over there May this year pratically 3 years since we first applied!

anyway, I wish you and yours all the best which ever route you take! good luck.

- 4lan.

It is coming as a bit of a shock as to how long family sponsor takes. I don't think there is any chance of chosen profession being on the new NSW SS list (whenever that comes out!).

I am taking everything you all say onboard.

Yes but what an adventure.......and employer sponsored would be much much quicker. I personally would prefer a permanent sponsorship as opposed to a temporary sponsorship so a 121 visa (permanent, but tied for 3 years) or if you are in the middle of no where you may be able to get a 119 visa (permanent, but tied in for less time,2yrs) or 457 visa (temp, but tied for 3 years, although you can change employers within the 3 years, at three years you have to re-apply for another visa,(just couldnt cope with the insecurity myself)) (and note that you dont get quite the same benefits as if you were a permanent resident).

Otherwise as you say, try for S.S. and if that fails you can fall back on Family sponsored..........

Oh and p.s. if you went the P.R. employer route you would have P.R. for keeps and I believe it cant be taken away, so if things didn't work out in the sticks you can just move on without the worry a temp visa gives......

Good luck

Carlos

Guest splendid

hey,i think that the state sponsor visa is alot quicker,i went down the skilled sponsored visa as my brother lives in perth,and my visa took twelve months.i looked in to state sponsor while i was applying and it looked more of a speedier process,as it turned out mine was quite quick.good luck!

Quick question: If my wife is the main applicant and we have 2 children, is she classed as having 3 dependents (include me or not, even though I work)?

I ask because on SA SS it looks like for 3 dependents we need AUD$40,000 and AUD$35,000 for 2.

Also, can anyone confirm if they will continue SS after July when the new system comes in?

• 3 months later...
Guest Walshy73

Hi,

Just wondering how you are getting on, we are in a similar position, OH is a science teacher i potter about with the kids and work a bit, i was looking at Adelaide and State sponsorship as its much quicker but ive never read about having to have visited before, we have covered Sydney to Cairns and even got married in OZ. I really want to live on the Sunshine coast but i dont want to be in limbo for up to 3 years waiting for a GSM visa.

cheers

carl

Further to the SS I think we are going to go for independent family nominated visa. I have't checked recently but the last I heard SA were not sponsoring any more and to be honest thats where we want to go so if we go independent and get it we can go there.

Although, it is looking more and more like teachers have to 'do their time' in an out of the way school before they can get a job in a more 'desirable' location.

Guest Walshy73

Where did you hear they were not sponsoring anymore? I looked on the SA government site last week and teachers were on the wanted list? We have just had to send some additional documents to the AITSL this week for the assessment so we are a bit behind schedule, its worth contacting SA directly, i have been chatting to a lady at the QLD gov about regional sponsored visas and they are very helpful.

Archived