Police crime site

Guest chris955

Guest chris955

I came across a new UK Police crime site that I found to be very interesting. For anyone returning to the UK to perhaps a different area to the one they left or even the same area but years later it can make good reading or indeed it could be bad news. We have put in various villages we are looking at and some returned no recorded crime for the month of December, others are in single figures and others may show moderate crime figures.

What is interesting at least in the places we have looked at the amount of what can be considered serious crime is negligible.

Police.uk - Local crime and policing information for England and Wales

Of course if you are going back to a large town or city the figures can look scary but obviously that would be true anywhere in the world and we don't usually get to see totals for all crimes which include shoplifting, grafitti and getting abusive outside the pub.

Guest chris955

It's like I said, you may put a town into the search and it says there were 1000 incidents in December, that sounds terrible but it literally includes everything. As I said we put a few places in and some came back with zero incidents. If I could do the same here I wouldn't want to step out the front door because we don't normally see the full picture.

Exactly, needs to be used sensibly. Would be interesting to do it here, we live in a nice quiet place but who knows what goes on around the corner!

Guest chris955

That's it, you can look at these figures for your area and not understand where all the trouble is as you don't see it. Take our situation, we live in a lovely quiet area but last weekend we had the brawl I mentioned in my thread right outside our house. I have since found out from my Police friend that the incident wasn't logged in the incident report for that night so it makes you wonder what is considered serious enough to rate a mention ?

It's like I said, you may put a town into the search and it says there were 1000 incidents in December, that sounds terrible but it literally includes everything. As I said we put a few places in and some came back with zero incidents. If I could do the same here I wouldn't want to step out the front door because we don't normally see the full picture.

There are two stats on crime for UK. The one you mentioned, which is reported crime to police, then the is another stat provided by the British Crime Survey. I think there would be quite a difference in figures. So you don't see the full picture there either Chris!

Guest rayman1

When i lived in Brisbane alot of crime wasn't mentioned in the press. Local crime and crime in the city seemed to be covered up. Good thing or bad? Unsure. Perhaps if the UK press focused on the millions of positives that this country has to offer then people wouldn't think that the grass is greener. The Aussie press have got it right as in the opinion 'out of sight, out of mind.' Don't want to knock Australia, and maybe only reporting good things would be better.

I don't think crime is covered up in the press. The question I think though is what is considered newsworthy. General theft and muggings might not be newsworthy at a City wide level, but would probably be covered in the local newspaper.

The only thing where I believe there is a media agreement not to report is suicide, as this is thought to encourage others to take the same action.

Push bike thefts and burgled sheds make the newspaper around here along with the daily car crashes around and about,, so not much escapes the public eyes around here,lol

Chris,,, i wonder if the incident you refer to was not recorded as no-one seemed to be hurt? I also wonder if the owners had registered the party as you are told to do,,maybe its a seperate register / log of incidents??????

Cal x

Guest chris955

Judging by what the little scrote walking past our place said on his mobile the bloke he had an 'encounter' with was hurt BUT of course chances are he wouldn't still be hanging around waiting for the cops to show up. I have never heard of registering a party, is this in Brisbane ?

Chris,,, i wonder if the incident you refer to was not recorded as no-one seemed to be hurt? I also wonder if the owners had registered the party as you are told to do,,maybe its a seperate register / log of incidents??????

Cal x

Yes , you are supposed to register your party with your local police so they can keep an eye out for gatecrashers (they drive past a couple of times) and know excatly where the party is IF it does kick off. I think its a great idea.

By someone being hurt, i meant if no ambo was called, but only guessing,lol.

Cal x

If you look in your area free newspapaper in the UK all the small crimes are reported from a garden gnome being stolen to a pushbike being stolen, free newspapers report any crime going as bad news is good news when it comes to papers.

Archived