Cost of living in mackay; Tax etc

Guest ANDREA WRIGHT

there's a significantly cheaper rent to be had in northern beaches/ Eimeo/Slad point etc, simply because there's a moderately long commute to the CBD/industrial area south of the river if you can't be flexible with times; not a long distance but traffic tailbacks as there's only a couple of bridges to funnel traffic over.

For reference I rent my places for $690 p/w (4 bed, 2 bath new build, Ooralea close to industrial area), $680 p/w (5 bed, 3 bath new build, Rural View close to northern beaches), $300 p/w (2 bed unit, West Mackay close to main drag to town, but that's way below market rate as my friends are in it). My own place would go for about 400 p/w (3 bed 1 bath '70's crap box in South Mackay, close to industrial area).

Food, I don't pay more than $250 per week for 3 of us, electric is never more than $300 per quarter, but friends will get bills of up to $800 depending on how much they run their air con and whether they have a pool, which really chew through the power.

Water, I pay about $100 per half, though my tenants run up to $700 which we are in dispute with them over as that really is excess water usage. No mains gas, it's all bottled here, fuel is currently about 1.37 for standard unleaded, 1.44 for diesel and 1.55 for RON 98

$132 for a week's groceries in Woolies last tuesday for the 2 of us.

Last leccy bill was about $230.

Cheers, Bobj.

Shopping yesterday in Woolies, total cost was $96.25 for this week's groceries.

Cheers, Bobj.

• 3 months later...

I'm finding this forum to be so helpful.....thanks to everyone for posting info. We're looking to move from Melbourne, already made the move from the UK 5 years ago but finding that Melbourne just isn't for us. Hubby has been offered a job in Mackay and is doing a reccie on Thursday, work and cost means that we can't all go, so we're trusting his decision!! We're a family of 4, 2 boys (12 and 14) and all wanting a bit more of a laid back lifestyle which we are hoping Mackay will offer? Extremely apprehensive, and I've lost a lot of sleep over this decision but ultimately my gut is telling us to go. I think our biggest concern is the housing situation - is it as bad as we've read? We'd be looking to rent for 6 months if possible and then buy but from my research there does appear to be a shortage of rentals, we're looking at North Mackay area.

Can anyone allay my fears over the housing?

Thanks, Di :-)

• 1 month later...
I'm finding this forum to be so helpful.....thanks to everyone for posting info. We're looking to move from Melbourne, already made the move from the UK 5 years ago but finding that Melbourne just isn't for us. Hubby has been offered a job in Mackay and is doing a reccie on Thursday, work and cost means that we can't all go, so we're trusting his decision!! We're a family of 4, 2 boys (12 and 14) and all wanting a bit more of a laid back lifestyle which we are hoping Mackay will offer? Extremely apprehensive, and I've lost a lot of sleep over this decision but ultimately my gut is telling us to go. I think our biggest concern is the housing situation - is it as bad as we've read? We'd be looking to rent for 6 months if possible and then buy but from my research there does appear to be a shortage of rentals, we're looking at North Mackay area.

Can anyone allay my fears over the housing?

Thanks, Di :-)

There are always places on the market, it just depends on what you are looking to pay and how many are open to you.

Myself and my gf moved to Mackay in July and lucked out, getting a nice place in Shoal Point almost straight away. We love the place, and you will certainly enjoy the relaxed attitude and beautiful surroundings.

Anywhere North of the river is what most would recommend, ignore the talk about traffic. Even from Shoal Point I am in town in around 20 minutes.

I work in engineering and see much of the planned development. Mackay can't expand any quicker than it is now, yet the demand is high so it will be the same story for many years to come. So long as you have the time to put into applying, you will find a place, just nobody can guarantee how soon it will be

Archived