six months and 26 days in Perth!!

loubylou475

I'd love to say I'm an avid PIO follower but truth be told I'm not. I love to pop on now and again and it's been great for opinions/advice. After trying since early 2008, we eventually reached Perth on a 457 visa. I just wanted to share a few moments of our momentous journey! Job offer 31st March, uk house on market 8th April, sold (no chain) 15th April. 457 processed (employers choice of relocation agents) following week, granted 29th April. Left uk for WA (via Dubai) 24th June. Rented furnished for 10 weeks in East Vic Park. Applied for FIRB approval and bought house SOR August, moved in Sept! Kids at local state Primary, loving it, really impressed. I began applying for Admin work (ex-NHS) in November, applied for 6 jobs, offered 5 (!!) of them, accepted the most recent and loving it at one of the city's largest hospitals. Expected Christmas to be full of tears and homesickness but quite the opposite. Enjoyed a traditiona turkeyl lunch, Santa still came on time and spent the evening toasting friends and family on skype!! All in all we're having a fantastic time in Perth and all the hardship and past disappointment has been more than worth it. Negatives?? Never been so skint in my life. Poached eggs on toast have become a family favourite! But hey, it costs nothing to wander along the banks of the Swan or to sit and watch the sun setting over the ocean..... to wander the few steps upto the school sports field and play cricket with the kids.... I'd never say we'll 'Never' return to the uk but for now, Perth is our home and we're loving it, we're a very close family and this move has brought us even closer.... follow your dreams and if it's meant to be then it will be.

Guest Guest47308

Perth is where we hope to end up, so its great reading about your experiences.....

Thanks for posting, and all the best for the future.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Life can and is tough for alot of migrants and alot of wether you suceed or not can be down to ones ability to be positive and to see things in a better light and clearly you are a positive type of person. We are well off in the uk and for months we have done very little, stuck in doors because of the freezing cold weather, we have just booked an holiday for next month to the Canaries and this is what we look forward to most, getting into the sun and as you say, nice weather means you can do things that cost nothing at all and its alot better lifestyle for you and your kids and i hope things pick up financially for you to make it even better, best of luck.

Thanks for the lovely post. Hope to be in Perth ourselves in next 8-10 weeks.

Liz x

Hi Liz, just looking at your timeline, seems you too have been 'Waiting Awhile' to get here! Good news that you're on your way soon, stay in touch if you fancy meeting up when you arrive, it can be tough in the first 3 months. Best wishes to you all, Lou

Hi Lou. Yes it was a long wait. In fact we had given up on ever getting a visa, of course thats when it happened. Am starting to panic a little now we are getting removal surveys done and hoping to book our flights next week. Everything is happening so fast now. Will definately keep in touch. Hope to see you over there.

Liz x

Archived