Taking an FM radio to Oz??

Goochie

We have a lovely Roberts FM radio which we'd like to take to Oz (WA in particular) - But will it work?

Are Aussie FM radio stations on the same range as here in the UK?

Also, are there plans to switch off FM in the coming years in favour of digital?

Your FM radio will work fine in Australia--the frequency range is the same.

Although there is some digital in the main cities, it's not as far advanced as in the UK and I don't know of any plans for an analogue switch off of FM.

Bob

Your FM radio will work fine in Australia--the frequency range is the same.

Although there is some digital in the main cities, it's not as far advanced as in the UK and I don't know of any plans for an analogue switch off of FM.

Bob

Bob is correct .... Your FM radio will work , no worries at all .

As for digital , the protocol in Australia is DAB+ , in the UK it is just DAB . The only way a digital radio from the uk will work in Oz is if you downlaod a patch via the internet and reprog the radio . It's not worth the hassle , just buy a digital radio on arrival. I have a digital radio . We are on the borderline for reception being 60miles from a major centre . It works most of the time , but not always .. Hope this helps .

Dave C

I took the OP's query as being whether an Australian analogue switch-off plan could render their FM set as useless rather than wanting to bring a DAB radio along, but I could have been wrong.

However, for anyone considering bringing a DAB radio with them, it's worth noting that a good many radios now sold in the UK are DAB+ capable since Ofcom announced a while back that the UK will eventually move in that direction. Alas, this makes the situation a bit like TV where some sets work and some don't--and manufacturers aren't always completely clear in the specifications they provide.

However, as Dave53 says, the key phrase is "DAB+" and if any radio says it's compatible with that you should be okay as long as you move to one of the capitals. Out where I am in the wilds of Toowoomba, I have a choice of analogue or analogue!

Bob

Its 1976 in WA so don't forget this when tuning in. Suits me to be honest, but if you want it more modern, good luck.

Or tune in to TripleJ.

I find that the radio stations here are aimed at certain age brackets and you have to find one that suits you.

I really enjoy listening to Alice Coopers program but it's on a bit late. He knows his stuff, knows a lot of people in the industry and has some funny stories to tell. Most of all though his banter is to do with the music the is playing at the time, so relevant.

The stations in the morning really get on my nerves with "DJ's" crapping on about themselves mostly, or some stupid competition. Hardly mention the music or artists. Probably wouldn't know much about them anyway.

To get a job in radio I reckon it helps if you are:-

1. Gay

2. Had a stint on Big Brother.

If you've got both quals. you would be in for sure.

When I left the UK it was Radio 1 or..........Radio 1. Both of them crap.

LOL...guess I'm old but it's Radio 4 I miss. I can listen at home on my PC but that's not really very helpful when most of my radio listening is while driving!

ABC Radio National is about as close as I can get--sometimes good stuff but other times pretty naff.

Bob

I think Triple J is great - they swear and everything. Hard to believe when you consider that its owned by the ABC, but that's the great thing about Australia!

I listen to Robbie Sheperd's Take the Floor on Radio Scotland on the internet - I can't cook on a Saturday night without it! (I understand that won't mean very much to many people....)

• 1 month later...

Breakfast without Nicky and Shelagh on R5 will be unbearable, will just have to have them at night instead.. and OH always has the Shipping Forecast and "Sailing By" on before sleep... now he'll have to wake up to them! We'll just get used to it... it'll be the lack of MOTD on Saturdays.. the football shows in Oz just aren't the same..

Archived