Plumbing Licence

Bee Jay

Hi

Could anybody please advise how my husband goes on about gaining his plumbing licence?

We have recently been granted our visas (after being stuck in the system for a very long time!) and we are going out in April to validate them.

My husband is a plumbing and heating engineer by trade (he had his skills assessed by the TRA) and he is hoping to find work in this area when we make the move - to either Queensland or South Australia.

He has been looking at vacancies on the internet, but they are looking for licensed people. Are there seperate licenses for plumbing as well as gas?

Many thanks

Bev

Guest Tallywag

Hi iam a spark from the UK, and Plumbers and sparks have to do the same crap here??

GET THE OZ licence for the trade. no ifs and buts. You have to put your dollar in, and each state is different with the licence, you have to transfer interstate.

Its hard work. GOOD LUCK

Guest sh7t man no way

i think theres a plumbers thread on jobs/careers--they may help you-its been a while since ive seen it though--you could start your own thread--good luck

It is very difficult for plumbers and electricinas with the licencing. It can take months and costs quite a whack to. Regardless of your UK qualifications chances are you will have to attend at least one college course and of course pay for that too.

A good friend has been in QLD for over 6 months and despite constant chasing, phone calls and college courses he is still not fully licenced.

You must definately budget for this before arriving and also consider the possibility of doing some un skilled work until you can secure a job in your proffesion.

Sorry to sound negative but i have seen one to many new arrivals caught out because they were unaware on the hoops you have to jump through to get the licence, good luck with everything

Cal x

Guest Laura G

I can only speak for QLD as my husband is a plumber.

you will need to contact the Plumbers & Drainers board in Brisbane.

You should be eligible for a provisional license this cost approximate 150 bucks

This license will allow you to work for a Plumbing Company as a supervised worker.

If your employed you will be paid an hourly rate plus 9% Super, you will also get sick and holiday pay.

If you are going to be a self employed contractor you will need to apply for an ABN from the tax office and you will also need public indemnity insurance.

Upside your hourly rate is more

If looking at QLD for example look at either Gold Coast Tafe or Skillstech Tafe they have information on the course you can sit to be eligible for full license.

My OH never bothered applying for full license, he just renews provisional each year.

Good luck

Hi

Could anybody please advise how my husband goes on about gaining his plumbing licence?

We have recently been granted our visas (after being stuck in the system for a very long time!) and we are going out in April to validate them.

My husband is a plumbing and heating engineer by trade (he had his skills assessed by the TRA) and he is hoping to find work in this area when we make the move - to either Queensland or South Australia.

He has been looking at vacancies on the internet, but they are looking for licensed people. Are there seperate licenses for plumbing as well as gas?

Many thanks

Bev

Hi bev, out of interest, which visa do you have? I didn't think QLD were taking plumbers or do you have a 175?

thanks.

Guest plumbobs

Hi,

Im a plumber in WA, I had no trouble at all with the Plumbers Licensing Board. When i got here i went,showed my paperwork and was issued a tradespersons licence within 7 days, I had to do a migrant course within 6 months which cost $600, and books were another $250, the licence which lasts for 3 years cost about $200. to be a contractor you have to go to TAFE for 6 months to study part time and pass exams then pay $500 for your contractors licence. Gasfitters need to go to energy safety and TAFE to take their gas exams again and you need senior first aid too.

hope this helps. Pete

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pipkins

Hi There

We've just come across this post - it is an issue VERY close to our hearts at the moment.

We've been here in QLD, Brisbane, for 6 months and I have to say we are struggling at the moment. The information you've been given about the licence is pretty spot on and we were well informed before we arrived about the process of getting from a provisional to full licence.

What we didn't know was how hard it would be to find work on the provisional. OH is subbying at the moment, but things are quiet and he is struggling to get anything full time, subbying or on wages. The feedback I'm getting from the QLD Government (who sponsored us) is that they have had problems getting companies to employ English plumbers on provisional licences and that is why they don't sponsor them anymore.

My OH has been a plumber for over 20 years and whilst he is happy to go and do the licence, he would really like to stay in plumbing while he does it - it is what he is good at and the course is better if you can put theory into practice. The other problem is that the course is quite long, at least a year at TAFE nightschool and he starts work (when he's got it) at 6am and finishes at 4pm ish, so it is already a long day. TAFE runs from 6-9pm. The system in Perth seems a lot fairer, but we didn't know that at the time.

Hate to seem like a whinging pom, there are so many things we love about being here, but we are finding this patch tricky and would welcome any advice from those of you who have been here longer!

Guest AndyandYvonneD
Hi,

Im a plumber in WA, I had no trouble at all with the Plumbers Licensing Board. When i got here i went,showed my paperwork and was issued a tradespersons licence within 7 days, I had to do a migrant course within 6 months which cost $600, and books were another $250, the licence which lasts for 3 years cost about $200. to be a contractor you have to go to TAFE for 6 months to study part time and pass exams then pay $500 for your contractors licence. Gasfitters need to go to energy safety and TAFE to take their gas exams again and you need senior first aid too.

hope this helps. Pete

How do Plumbobs, did my Vetassess with you at Accrington College in Lancs in 2008, what you up to and which state are you in? PM me

Guest AndyandYvonneD
Hi There

We've just come across this post - it is an issue VERY close to our hearts at the moment.

We've been here in QLD, Brisbane, for 6 months and I have to say we are struggling at the moment. The information you've been given about the licence is pretty spot on and we were well informed before we arrived about the process of getting from a provisional to full licence.

What we didn't know was how hard it would be to find work on the provisional. OH is subbying at the moment, but things are quiet and he is struggling to get anything full time, subbying or on wages. The feedback I'm getting from the QLD Government (who sponsored us) is that they have had problems getting companies to employ English plumbers on provisional licences and that is why they don't sponsor them anymore.

My OH has been a plumber for over 20 years and whilst he is happy to go and do the licence, he would really like to stay in plumbing while he does it - it is what he is good at and the course is better if you can put theory into practice. The other problem is that the course is quite long, at least a year at TAFE nightschool and he starts work (when he's got it) at 6am and finishes at 4pm ish, so it is already a long day. TAFE runs from 6-9pm. The system in Perth seems a lot fairer, but we didn't know that at the time.

Hate to seem like a whinging pom, there are so many things we love about being here, but we are finding this patch tricky and would welcome any advice from those of you who have been here longer!

Was in the same boat 18months ago when we got here, focused on the QLD Gas Licence instead, at the time it was easier, and now have a decent job. Considering the money spent on doing Vetassess assessment (900 quid) as a General Plumber, once we landed here it meant dic*. The TAFFE course can cost up to $4000, and then you still need a BSA number if you set up a business.

Know a few lads who've just kept their provisional and work for firms, the moneys not brill in comparrison to a fully qualified bloke but they get by.

Now I believe the Gas Licence is going the same way as the Plumbing Licence, the QLD Gas Inspectorate have decided to farm the license assessment out to a body simmilar to TAFFE which no doubt will be a money spinner!!!

Guest Pipkins
Was in the same boat 18months ago when we got here, focused on the QLD Gas Licence instead, at the time it was easier, and now have a decent job. Considering the money spent on doing Vetassess assessment (900 quid) as a General Plumber, once we landed here it meant dic*. The TAFFE course can cost up to $4000, and then you still need a BSA number if you set up a business.

Know a few lads who've just kept their provisional and work for firms, the moneys not brill in comparrison to a fully qualified bloke but they get by.

Now I believe the Gas Licence is going the same way as the Plumbing Licence, the QLD Gas Inspectorate have decided to farm the license assessment out to a body simmilar to TAFFE which no doubt will be a money spinner!!!

You're right about the gas licence - got to do that at TAFE as well now. Not even sure if I can get an interim licence on my VETASSESS as they didn't cover all the modules required for the interim. Really can't work out if it is all a money spinner or just more red tape.

We are definitely thinking that we might have to head back to the UK, didn't think this would be the reason why and only 7 months after we arrived, gutted really, but don't want to run up a huge debt as I really can't get enough work to sustain us all (got 3 kids). Reckon maybe I should have done this 10 years ago when we had fewer mouths to fee and the Mrs could work full-time too.

Archived