Skiing In Australia

steve robbo

We live in Melbourne and went to the snow last winter, but just went tobogganing in lake mountain, there was some Skiing available but we went more for the kids so didnt bother. We went with a group of 12 and it was a fantastic few days, going back this year for sure. Well worth the 2.5 hour drive but try and stay the night before to get on the slopes early and the night after to recover!

we are in melbourne, the nearest place to here is mt buller (~2.5hr drive) and then mt hottham is a bit further (~4.5hr drive from what i hear).

We went up to mt buleer for a few days in june when we were over on our reccie- we went up the 1st weekend of the season, there was some snow but not too much, there were only a few runs open and some had grass coming through the snow. We were told it would be like that as it was so early in season and the following weekend actualy had much more snow due but we were by in ireland by then.

From what i hear, it is quite good later in the season but probably still not as good as europe.

We are big into snowboarding and went at least once a year when we were in europe and plan to go here too. The other option is take a trip to NZ - we have been there and it is v.good.

Louise.

we used to go to thredbo , the kids loved they would ski i would drink hot chocolate [ worked for me ] the snow was thick we used to have to put chains on the car once we went through jindabyne , took a bullet train and went to perisher blue once , but i found it to crowded i preferrred threadbo

Went to Mt Buller last year and the snow was excellent. Cars were buried under snow drifts and in the week we went, there was at least a metre of snow that fell. The skiing was very good and the slopes start from the town so it makes for a good atmosphere. Loads of accommodation on the mountain with a few bars, cafes, ski hire shops and restaurants. ki school and child care for the kiddies. It's a reasonably big resort. Beginners stuff is okay. Intermediate is good and there are some excellent black runs. It's weird skiing through gum trees rather than fir trees. There are some better European resorts but Buller is above your average European resort.

Downside is that it is very very expensive. You pay to get onto the mountain and you can't drive to your accommodation so you park up near the top and then have to pay for one of the shuttle taxis. The ski passes are also very expensive. Accommodation is expensive although we use the RMIT Uni lodge/bunkhouse which is cheaper and good quality if you don't mind self-catering and a possible bunk room.

Ive been to Austria, Switzerland, Italy, France & Czech republic skiing, and have been here in Mount Hotham.

In comparison, the slopes are not bad, and its not a bad size resort, but because its right on top of the mountain, when the wind is blowing, it can be very cold & if its snowing as well, visibilty is almost zero.

Lift passes/lessons/ski hire etc all VERY expensive for the size of resort & whats on offer, but its also understandable, they need to earn their money in a much shorter season than in Europe. Early & late season bookings can be very hit & miss for decent snow. This year was fine, when we went 2 years ago, there was no snow at all for the first 2 days, then we had a reasonable dump.

I would definitely go again sometime, but cant afford to do it every year like we did as a family in Europe.

General consensus from regular skiiers is for the same/similar money, you can fly to NZ or even Japan an hit some real good slopes. With the US dollar at parity, even a trip to the states might not be that bad either.

Guest The Pom Queen

General consensus from regular skiiers is for the same/similar money, you can fly to NZ or even Japan an hit some real good slopes. With the US dollar at parity, even a trip to the states might not be that bad either.

Yes must admit the locals always said it was cheaper to head to NZ than Vic. Personally never went up as I hate driving in snow.

Thredbo, Smiggins, Perisher are all OK but you can occasionally ski closer to home in Canberra - there has been limited skiing at Corin Forest every now and again. A lot of people I know have time shares in ski lodges but it is possible to do in a day from Canberra.

Guest siamsusie

We skied this year over Christmas in S. Korea where one of my sons lives.. very reasonable and great slopes.:wubclub: As you say Japan is also excellent. Susie x

Archived