Roughly how long for visa ?

dthomp123

Hi there,

I know this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question but can anyone give me a very rough idea i.e best vs worst case scenario as to when to start the ball rolling to apply for a visa to move to Aus. I am trying to see how long we have got left to make a final decision about emigration as due to the ages of the kids / finishing off the DIY etc would really need to move in 2012. (Still deciding about Melbourne v Brisbane v Stay in London)

Situation: Family of 4: 2 adults, 2 children. Ages 42, 40, 8, 7

Would use my skill as controls engineer/bms/HVAC to obtain work. We came back from a 10 week reccie in the summer where I attended 4 interviews in Melbourne and found employment positive ( 2 employers said they had vacancies with right visa, one other hinted at possible sponsorship). Didn't take it further at the time as we weren't 100% sure about emigration and didn't want to mess people around. This mainly due to high Aus property prices, think we would have gone for it last summer if they werent so high.

I have a feeling my work would be on the skills shortage list somewhere as the employers seem to need people but as its a small niche category somewhere under electrician/computer engineer its not actually listed by title. Was given a category by Engineers Australia but may not be the best / fastest one (Computer Engineer)

I know I have to consult a migration agent so if anyone knows of a good one please post back, this will be the next step after this post ! Just wanted some idea before spending money !

Many thanks

Dominic Thompson

Best case scenario - 6 weeks for an employer sponsored 457 temporary visa.

Worst case scenario - Years/Never for a kicked into the weeds independent killed 175 visa.

Somewhere in the middle - For an employer/state sponsored 176 visa.

Really is a how long is a piece of string question, sorry.

I have a feeling my work would be on the skills shortage list somewhere as the employers seem to need people but as its a small niche category somewhere under electrician/computer engineer its not actually listed by title. Was given a category by Engineers Australia but may not be the best / fastest one (Computer Engineer)

Many thanks

Dominic Thompson

You could probably expect more useful replies about this if you publish the ANZSCO code of your Engineers Australia assessment.

Guest VickyMel

Hi Dominic

It really is a piece of string.

When we originally applied in 2009 we were looking at 3-6 months re the type of visa we were applying for.

The regular changes in policy mean that we may get that same visa in the next few months (assuming nothing changes in the meantime - and I trust nothing these days after all the upheavals) - although that is due to having the right occupation in a later change other wise we would still be looking at another 3-4 years (or more/never) as of now.

During the time period in between 2009 our expected time to visa has gone up and down like a yo-yo.

One thing you might consider is that after you have got the visa - you then have (at the moment) 5 years to make the move to Oz.

So if you are eligible you might want to consider the bird in the hand.

New changes are coming in July - you might want to see how they affect your ability to apply as well.

PS You don't have to use an agent - but if you do contact a few for that initial chat many offer and then google the ones you like the feel of (or search on here) to see what others say about them.

Good luck

VickyMel

Archived