Printer toner cartridge

Phil & Vikki

We are looking at buying a Kodak or HP scanner/printer/fax and bring it out with us so that it will help us keep in touch with family and friends back in the UK. We then thought about how easy it would be for us to get replacement cartridges. Has anyone had any problem getting their hands on the newer model cartridges and are the major brand names available out in Oz?

Bought a brand new HP printer, scanner, copier approximate 2 months before moving here. Once here I could not find replacement cartridges with the same product number although I found the exact same cartridges with a different product number for exactly the same printer as mine. I bought them but the printer would not recognize them. I actually ended up buying exactly the same printer here in OZ as the one I bought in UK and the OZ cartridges then worked. interestingly the HP printer here was much cheaper, it was virtually the same in $ as I paid in £.

We brought our HP printer out here too. Scoured the shops for replacement toners and ended up having to get then shipped down from Sydney and even then they were only compatibles. So everytime family have visited, they've brought a few cartridges with them for us. But as others have said, printers are reasonably priced here so we'll probably just end up buying a new one.

T

Official cartridges (and even printers) are often region encoded these days in the same way as DVDs. It means you can either pay less for an unofficial cartridge and risk it not working or pay the full whack once you get to Oz.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the US a couple of weeks ago and printer cartridges were a no-no due to security reasons following the bomb that was secreted in one that was shipped in plane cargo from Africa to US. May be fine for Oz, but might be worth checking?

Not part of the original query but I bought an HP "All in One" network printer here. I'm pleased with the quality and, at least at Cartridge World, the ink isn't badly expensive.

However...and it's a big however...the printer driver software has a nasty habit of upsetting Windows and getting itself shut off. The only cure I've found is a total uninstall/reinstall which takes a good half hour to do. I then get anything in the print queue printed...but then it goes wrong before the next time. Searching the HP support site, this seems to be a very common issue--and fixes are few and far between. So...ask about driver reliability before choosing HP if you want something to sit on a wireless network.

Bob

Archived