Vetassess for trades..have we been conned..

Nick and sez

hi edwards family, hope it all goes well when you go down under. i'd like to ask your advice as to how you got your visa. i contacted TRA over 12 months ago when i first got serious about applying for Oz. i explained that i installed electronic security/fire alarm systems and that i was wondering which ASCO Code to apply under. The guy from TRA said that i didn't qualify as my skills did not constitute a trade in Oz. i asked if i should get sparks papers and go down that route. he advised against this as i would not be able to satisfy the work experience element.

i ignored his advice as i didn't see another route to go down and i've spent a year and just short of 2 grand getting my C&G 2330 Electrical Installation. Now i have just seen the new ANZSCO List and sure as S*&% ther at 324313 is Fire Alarm Tech. Any advice much appreciated, Graeme

Guest tanzag74

Hi all,

I'm a sheet metal worker (first class in oz) and we are in the beginning stages of obtaining our skilled visa, the agen we're using has told me i have to go to Preston for a practical skills test, the test itself doesnt worry me, the fact that i'll have to spend on hotel and travel not to mention using a days holiday.

Question...Do i have to do the pratical or can i save my money (travel, hotel etc) and put it to better use as this is such an expensive move (agent tells us £7100 just to obtain visa)

:confused:

Hi all,

I'm a sheet metal worker (first class in oz) and we are in the beginning stages of obtaining our skilled visa, the agen we're using has told me i have to go to Preston for a practical skills test, the test itself doesnt worry me, the fact that i'll have to spend on hotel and travel not to mention using a days holiday.

Question...Do i have to do the pratical or can i save my money (travel, hotel etc) and put it to better use as this is such an expensive move (agent tells us £7100 just to obtain visa)

:confused:

Mate, i dont know too much about your trade as in qualifications, for most of us tradies the Vetassess has been the only route untill now..

As for the money its not cjeap if you want to go for it, i personally did it all on my own and found it no probs...

Advice on here is good, but only you can make the choice to spend on the visa.. If you can do it as in the new TRA way with technical interview over SKYPE then you could save your self some hard cash...

Good Luck... Cheers Nick:jimlad:

I live in Essex, and had my Vetassess booked for Accrington, but then they changed it to GLASGOW. Was not too pleased, and it just seems the goal posts keep moving. BUT, I did pass as a Carpenter/Joiner, and now the it is in the past. Just hope this grand effort seems to be worth it all in the end.

Keep on plucking away, nothings easy anymore!

I live in Essex, and had my Vetassess booked for Accrington, but then they changed it to GLASGOW. Was not too pleased, and it just seems the goal posts keep moving. BUT, I did pass as a Carpenter/Joiner, and now the it is in the past. Just hope this grand effort seems to be worth it all in the end.

Keep on plucking away, nothings easy anymore!

Christ mate, i thought mine was bad from West Sussex to Accrington, but yours was unreal...

It pees me off as now the bloody assessments are in North London..:confused:

Mind you if you have read my posts i would rather just sit in front of a computer than spend 3 days back and forth plus cash etc to a college bloody miles away..:biglaugh:

Still mate we passed.. Cheers Nick..

• 1 month later...
Guest julie09

Hey

Does anyone know if my oh has to do the skills test if he gets sponsored by company in melbourne?? He has plumbing boss willing to sponsor him but far as I can see he will still have to pay that crazy money and sit the test (defo the vic uni one though as we are 8 hours drive from accrington in North scotland) I just hope the UK are making any ozzies coming over here do the same but lets face it I very much doubt it.

Hi Nick,

Sorry, I've only just seen this thread (I'm a bit behind). Thank you very much for venting the feelings of many. I was quite shocked to learn recently that the trades no longer had to do a practical assessment :shocked:. I haven't told my OH that this is now the case as I'm sure he'd be gutted having spent a fortune on the paper assessment and booking the practical and then like many having to travel across the country (Brentwood, Essex to Preston, Lancs) to do the practical on a working day! It's very unfair that they've changed the assessment :mad:. I think it's to get more trades through the system before the new points are introduced as I don't think many tradies would be able to score the 65 passmark. The only satisfaction I have is that the my OH did some bricklaying while he was in Oz on a WHV and he said the standard of work was very very high, not like UK sites. So anyone who does blag their way through the assessment might be in for a nasty shock when they get kicked off an OZ site after one day!

Thank you again, I hope you do decide to go to Oz after all the stress, strain and bankruptcy of the visa process :wink:.

All the best, Hev.

Guest sharkbiscuit
we fully agree....my hubby is a spark. Vetassess cost the same, had to go to the same place by the sounds of things, hotel etc, loss of earnings...it all adds up!

now he has a job offer and going as a fire alarm technician (which is what he does in the uk), if we want PR after our 457, hes got to now do TRA for his new job description. Another cost, expense, time etc.

we feel your pain....feel free to rant!!

Hi I have looked to into this for some time now as im in the same situation. I have heard so many bad things about the Vettasess process regarding there services and costs! Did you know as your going on a 457 after 2 years you can apply for PR without a skills assessment at all! :wink:

Hi Nick,

Sorry, I've only just seen this thread (I'm a bit behind). Thank you very much for venting the feelings of many. I was quite shocked to learn recently that the trades no longer had to do a practical assessment :shocked:. I haven't told my OH that this is now the case as I'm sure he'd be gutted having spent a fortune on the paper assessment and booking the practical and then like many having to travel across the country (Brentwood, Essex to Preston, Lancs) to do the practical on a working day! It's very unfair that they've changed the assessment :mad:. I think it's to get more trades through the system before the new points are introduced as I don't think many tradies would be able to score the 65 passmark. The only satisfaction I have is that the my OH did some bricklaying while he was in Oz on a WHV and he said the standard of work was very very high, not like UK sites. So anyone who does blag their way through the assessment might be in for a nasty shock when they get kicked off an OZ site after one day!

Thank you again, I hope you do decide to go to Oz after all the stress, strain and bankruptcy of the visa process :wink:.

All the best, Hev.

Thanks Hev, youre right about the blaggers, trouble is love that by the time they are on the Oz site working they have already got their visa and maybe a better Tradie could not get his as the quota was full...:chatterbox:

Still what a raspberry pavlova as my Daughter would say, maybe im just :arghh: because in FEB they did it in ........London.... still ive got it now...

What does :arghh: me is that it took months to get a practical date last May 10 in Accrington and then i read people did the paper and practical in 8 weeks..:arghh:

it just P@:>~# me off that i could have done this via the Vic way etc over Skype, although it cost the same it was like most the travelling over 2-3 days cost,loss of wages etc...Mind you i got to see Accrington Stanleys ground( WHO ARE THEY..EXACTLY)(TV advert from the 80-90 's..

Its good to here that the standard is high in AUSTRALIA... I Wouldn't want to show 'em up when i get their..LOL:biglaugh:

BE HAPPY NOT CRAPPY..LOL NICK THE PLUMBER(STILL ON CALL):radar:

Hi I have looked to into this for some time now as im in the same situation. I have heard so many bad things about the Vettasess process regarding there services and costs! Did you know as your going on a 457 after 2 years you can apply for PR without a skills assessment at all! :wink:

I THINK WHICH EVER WAY YOU CHOSE IT COSTS THE SAME, BUT IF YOU GO THE VETASSESS ROUTE YOU ARE GOVERNED WHERE AND WHEN THE PRACTICAL IS.. THEN THIS BECOMES FINACIALLY LESS ATTRACTIVE ..

IE IF LIKE ME YOU LIVE ON THE SOUTH COAST AND THE PRACTICAL WAS IN ACCRINGTON,LANCS THEN BLOODY HELL ITS COST AT LEAST 3 DAYS LOST MONEY, MANY MEN I MET CAME FROM SCOTLAND,DEVON ETC BLOODY MILES AWAY..

THE VIC TAFE WAY IS YOU HAVE TO DO THE WRITEN ETC, BUT INSTEAD OF THE PRACTICAL YOU DO AN INTERVIEW FROM PROBALY YOURE OWN HOME AND DONT INCUR THE HEAVY COSTS...

NO BRAINER REALLY..:biglaugh:

WITH A PANTS EXCAHNGE RATE AND ALL THE VISA COSTS ADDED UP ALL THE MONEY YOU CAN SAVE IN GETTING TO OZ IS WORTH IT...:skeptical:

:idea:LOL NICK...

Guest sharkbiscuit
I THINK WHICH EVER WAY YOU CHOSE IT COSTS THE SAME, BUT IF YOU GO THE VETASSESS ROUTE YOU ARE GOVERNED WHERE AND WHEN THE PRACTICAL IS.. THEN THIS BECOMES FINACIALLY LESS ATTRACTIVE ..

IE IF LIKE ME YOU LIVE ON THE SOUTH COAST AND THE PRACTICAL WAS IN ACCRINGTON,LANCS THEN BLOODY HELL ITS COST AT LEAST 3 DAYS LOST MONEY, MANY MEN I MET CAME FROM SCOTLAND,DEVON ETC BLOODY MILES AWAY..

THE VIC TAFE WAY IS YOU HAVE TO DO THE WRITEN ETC, BUT INSTEAD OF THE PRACTICAL YOU DO AN INTERVIEW FROM PROBALY YOURE OWN HOME AND DONT INCUR THE HEAVY COSTS...

NO BRAINER REALLY..:biglaugh:

WITH A PANTS EXCAHNGE RATE AND ALL THE VISA COSTS ADDED UP ALL THE MONEY YOU CAN SAVE IN GETTING TO OZ IS WORTH IT...:skeptical:

:idea:LOL NICK...

Hi Nick,

How do you mean the VIC TAFE way?! sorry not aware of this, am I being thick lol?! :err:

Guest tiddywiddy

Am I correct in thinking that if you go on a 457 visa, you still have to do the Vetasses skills assessment? O/h has been offered the above visa via an employer sponsor for a full-time position, he is an Electrician, so this would be great news if he didnt have to do it!!! Also Vic uni does not allow you to do a skills test on a 457 visa, this can only be done via Vetasses........ Any light that can be shed would be brill.

evening/mornin all,

So who is going to do the skype interview? I would rather do the prac but it is miles away from me, have read up on the prac test for joiners and it looks piss easy, but wondered how long it skype interview takes and what kind of Q's they will ask????

Any joiners out there who could help me on the last point will be much appriciated!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I am not sure how true that is about doing skype from your home. I think with trades you have to be assessed by either vetassess or Tra dependng on your trade. My partner did a technical interview last week in North London with vetassess. This was a face to face interview but they do also offer technical interviews over web conference, however you can not just sit at home and do it, he would of still had to go to the college or somewhere as it has to be a supervised venue, and they are still $1400/$1500. With the vetassess technical you can not blag it or learn it from a book, unless you know what your doing and have the experience you wouldn't pass. My partner wanted to do the practical but it wasn't till late May for his trade and we are up against the July changes, so they contacted us 8 days before technical interview to invite us to the North West college of London where practicals were being undertaken for other trades. Now we are glad it was a technical interview, it took no more then an hour and didn't have to waste the day there. He was even told off the record he had passed!!:jiggy:

hmmmmm. I have just booked a Vet parctical for joinery on the 7th may at the college of north west London, it is only 15 mins from me so getting there is a piece of cake, not bothered about doing the test as it looks like a walk in the park as its what I do day in day out, the thing that annoys me is that they said that I could only do a face to face in Melbourne? and the skype dates she was not sure of, think they try to push the prac test to get more dollar! still no dramas, get that passed then get our Family sponsored 176 in ASAP!!!

Archived