First Time Home owners Grant

k8bug79

Hello, me and family are hoping to move to Melbourne sometime in the near furture. We would go on his citizenship and me on spouses visa (prob permanant as we have 3 children, been together for 5 years and married for 3) we really want to own a home something we can't do here. We have read about the FTHO Grant and the regional boost. We need to work in Melbourne but wondering if anyone knows where is classed as regional, we have seen there are new builds up around POint cook and slightly further out on the live in Melbourne map it looks like these don't come under the Melbourne zone, so does this mean they are regional??? Of course this all depends whether they are offering these when we get there lol

Thanks

Guest TaniaandRob

General info

Overview

list of areas for the regional bonus (bearing in mind this bonus expires june 2011)

Eligible Regional Municipalities

i think point cook is part of Wyndham City Council -Which is not on the list sorry...

Good luck - we were hoping to take advantage of this too but don't think we will be ready to build before june...

General info

Overview

list of areas for the regional bonus (bearing in mind this bonus expires june 2011)

Eligible Regional Municipalities

i think point cook is part of Wyndham City Council -Which is not on the list sorry...

Good luck - we were hoping to take advantage of this too but don't think we will be ready to build before june...

Thanks we won't be ready by June, we are just hoping that, looking back over previous years they have introduced a new system each June, they will do the same again. Everything crossed

Good luck to you guys to

Thanks we won't be ready by June, we are just hoping that, looking back over previous years they have introduced a new system each June, they will do the same again. Everything crossed

Good luck to you guys to

God you would hope not, the Home owners grant "contributed" heavily to the current housing bubble, the jury is still out if the bubble is going to go "pop' over the next 4 years best case is no growth if the economy is lucky. It was Ridiculous government meddling in the housing market. Not sure gaining 15K on the grant and loosing 200K+ on equity is great maths should they be stupid enough to try that again.

I worked in legal and had a lot to do with real estate as part of my work. The Home Buyers Grant did make house prices rise. The new grant was just added on by the building and development industry and along with the GST they put their prices up considerably. I remember it was one day a house was under hundred grand a few months later it was quite a bit over.

Bad move, destabilized the whole thing, it was done not to help first home buyers but to keep the building industry in work as its a major part of our productive economy in the cities.

Sad but true in my opinion.

Woah you've lost me there :err: I will put my hands up and say that I am not very politically minded. I can appreciate that the FTHOG put prices up. Any builder would when faced with a whole host of people suddenly being "given" money to pay on a house, particuarly with the abillity to use it towards a deposit. I must admit that we are new to the whole Aus dream (well almost 18 months into the adventure) so we don't have the advantage of historical information short of going hunting for it. To us the housing market looks good, but I guess thats becasue we come from an are where we can borrow £90K on a mortgage because the average wages are £12K and the average house costs £200- £250 and is a shoe box. Over there we can earn about $70K and borrow (if we wanted to ) £600K and buy a house that well outdoes our needs for around £400K so understandably it is one of our main incentives for moving. Yes having said that we have herad about the cheap property proces of before and as we are 1 nowhere near ready to go and 2 nowhere near able to afford to buy just yet I guess what will be will be both in terms of grant and terms of house prices.

I guess the selfish part of me says its a great scheme and of course we want to benefit from it but I can see that an "established" home owner does not like the inevitable changes it causes to the market

Woah you've lost me there :err: I will put my hands up and say that I am not very politically minded. I can appreciate that the FTHOG put prices up. Any builder would when faced with a whole host of people suddenly being "given" money to pay on a house, particuarly with the abillity to use it towards a deposit. I must admit that we are new to the whole Aus dream (well almost 18 months into the adventure) so we don't have the advantage of historical information short of going hunting for it. To us the housing market looks good, but I guess thats becasue we come from an are where we can borrow £90K on a mortgage because the average wages are £12K and the average house costs £200- £250 and is a shoe box. Over there we can earn about $70K and borrow (if we wanted to ) £600K and buy a house that well outdoes our needs for around £400K so understandably it is one of our main incentives for moving. Yes having said that we have herad about the cheap property proces of before and as we are 1 nowhere near ready to go and 2 nowhere near able to afford to buy just yet I guess what will be will be both in terms of grant and terms of house prices.

I guess the selfish part of me says its a great scheme and of course we want to benefit from it but I can see that an "established" home owner does not like the inevitable changes it causes to the market

Its hard to compare UK housing to Aus/NZ housing as most houses in Aus/NZ are on fully detached private sections, so i do think you get a ton more house for the cash down under largely agree.

But when you compare Aus house prices to what you can now buy in many US cities its a bit of a worry. Australians are told "there is a housing shortage" but thats the same spin heard in Ireland and many parts of the US and no one needs to point out what happened there. Cities like Perth have already seen very tangible falls with others cities slowing.

if you plan to buy and sell in the same market and stay put for a long time there is really not much of a issue, except "maybe" you can buy a house 20% less in a few years time which may have a impact of when you make the move, sucks to buy near the peak.

Its just something to consider on the money side of the move decision.

otally know what you mean about buying at the peal. I owned my own place almost 10 years ago it almost doubled in price in 6 months, I was lucky. Sadly I had to sell the place due to a split with ,y then husband and used the money to clear debts and set myself up again. Planned to use what was left to buy again but prices here rocketed once more so didn't. Thank God as many of my friends bought at the same time and are now stuck. It is just so difficult to predict what is going to happen. I think you can only do what is best for you at the time and time will tell you whether it was the right thing or not

Archived