Pets that catch spiders

Goochie

We have a Labrador cross and a cat who like to chase spiders in the UK. They act as a tag-team with the dog bopping the spider to render it helpless before the cat moves in the the kill.

Occasionally the dog will part-chew it and spit it out onto the floor.

In the UK this isnt really a problem and keeps the cobwebs down!

However, we're a bit worried what will happen if they take on Aussie spiders?

Are we right to be worried ? Do the nasty pet harming spiders come into the house often?

I don't think so. My friend's dog was recently bitten by a funnel spider but it is not harmful to dogs. I haven't seen a single spider since I got here. But I know they are around as I have seen their webs. :laugh: In a strange way I am looking forward to seeing my first huntsman.

Guest The Pom Queen

Not sure where you are heading, but I wouldn't worry about the spiders, even with the redbacks it's only the female that can actually penetrate the skin, the males mouth isn't large enough.

The things you do need to be more concerned about are snake bites (again depends where you will be living), ticks and heartworm.

Guest Guest31881
it's only the female that can actually penetrate the skin, the males mouth isn't large enough.

There has to be a comment there on the size of the females mouth :wink:

Seriously i would suggest the first thing you do is visit the local vet, They will advise on tick and flee treatment needed in your area. and what vaccinations will be needed. In the unlikley event that your pet gets bitten by something nasty, your local vet will carry the antivenom to treat your pets.

Guest The Pom Queen
There has to be a comment there on the size of the females mouth :wink:

Yes, but you are a gentleman Colin and you know that women are always right (even when they are wrong)

Guest TaniaandRob

I know what you mean about pets that catch things. My cat has presented my mum with many a gift in the last few years. Including a baby tiger snake which was very angry at being brought into the kitchen. Mums solution to a swift safe removal was to hoover it! Not a recommended course of action but it did work well at the time and many a mouse, bug or other critter has followed suit....

If your thinking there arent any snakes in Perth - think again! I saw more snakes in the few years I lived in the suburbs of Perth than I ever did living in the Bush of country VIC. They do like to get in the house and around the garden there too... Not trying to frighten you or anything - as long as you are informed and sensible you should never have a negative encounter with a snake. Have a look at Snake Control Perth - Snake Removal Perth

When it comes to sharks - you will find that through summer the beaches are monitored from the air for sharks with early warning systems in place. If you stick to beaches that are manned with life guards for your family you will be just fine. Mullaloo Beach in particular is awesome and so long as you keep shore side of the reef you shouldn't see any sharks big enough to do you any damage. There is a good dog beach just north of Hillarys Boat Harbour too. If your really interested in the spots to avoid sharks do a bit of a goole search. A number of years ago when dead whales got washed up on the beaches they used to bury them deep on the beach. They don't do this any more because it has been found that a large whale can leach oil into the water for many years and this can draw in sharks looking for a feed.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that you are far more likely to die from a vending machine falling on you than a shark attack. So don't let the idea of it stop you enjoying yourself.

Archived