One Month Update from Canada

twinsmom65

Well hard to believe that it will be one month tomorrow since we left Australian Soil.

Boy has it ever been a busy month for me... never one to let grass grow under my feet, I hit the ground running. Within the first week of arriving, organized my Ontario drivers license, brought a car and started at my "old" job.

Christmas was lovely this year... no tears for anyone in the family !!... Christmas day was spent with my brother and his partner and my mom and dad... first time in 2 years we had all been together.

Weather has been a bit of a shocker !!.... bloody cold and snowy... oh well it is winter and it is Canada eh lol !.... had to get used to driving in winter conditions, however, must say that Canadians know how to look after things in the winter... most roads are cleared and salted straight away. It has been very cold here, temps in the -10 region with colder windchills, however, it is toasty and warm in the houses.... I always used to tell people in Australia that I never felt so cold as I did in an Australian winter... their houses are just not built for cold.

Prices of things in Canada are so cheap.... it really opened my eyes !!.... simple things like bras and undies are so much cheaper here for some reason. Also I can't get over the cost of a breakfast for eating out... I still remember buying our first breakfast out in Australia... cost us $80 for the 4 of us..... here you can get a full breakfast for $3.99 each... just doesn't make sense.

We are still living with my brother until my OH can secure employment. He has worked a couple of days so far, and had an interview today and looks to start work in January.

My timing of moving back could not have been better. One of my best friends has a beautiful old victorian house in Ingersoll which is about a 7 min drive from my brothers. It just so happend that when I came back, she got offered a job in Windsor which is about a 2 1/2 hour drive away. She is going to be moving down there, and we are in talks with her and her partner about possibly renting the house or even buying the property with her partner holding the mortgage for us.

Am I missing anything about Australia since moving back.... sure, I miss the warmth right now, and missing some of my friends, however, to see my girls back to their old normal self just reinforces that I made the right decision to move back.

Will update at 3 months ... hopefully we will be in our own place by then... which will make everything perfect !!

Cheers

Karen

• 4 weeks later...

Archived