What's worth taking, what's worth buying over there?

desreb

Hi Folks,

I had a quick run-through of this forum, but couldn't see any similar questions, nor could a search come up with anything (I couldn't find any decent search terms).

What's worth taking over to Oz, and what's worth selling, and buying afresh?

Basically - we're a youngish couple with no kids, so don't have huge amounts of possessions, or that much of sentimental or high value - most of our furniture is Ikea - so we can afford to sell and buy again, if it's more cost-effective.

- So, on one hand, we can pay shipping for the items we want to take over, plus insurance, etc, and then wait 3 months for it to arrive.

- On the other, we can simply sell all our old stuff on eBay over here, then go over to Oz without, and buy various stuff on eBay/equivalent, or some new stuff, once over there.

So, what would people say is worth taking, or worth selling, for stuff like:

• Writing Desk
  • Ikea Chest of Drawers
  • Washing machine
  • 10-year-old motorbike!
  • 2 Decent wooden-framed beds and mattresses
  • 3-year old 42" LCD TV
  • Old computer monitor
  • etc?

I'm generally favouring selling/leaving over here, but it could be the case that with exchange rates, buying something over there would be more expensive than keeping and shipping the UK item. It might even be worth buying new items over here (such as a futon that we might need for our new small flat), and importing them for that purpose!

What did other people find?

Thanks!

D

i'll be very interested in any reponses to this too D,

We're the same as yourselves: young couple with not very much (OH rents and i live with my parents while saving) so at most we're thinking of taking a Tea Crate of bits and bobs and also the big lcd tv (which is certianly working out cheaper to ship than sell and buy new in Oz!)

From the small amount of research i've done it does seem like furniture is pricey enough if buying new and as most rentals are unfurnished we're expecting to be buying majority of the contents of a house upon arrival which will be a big chunk of change! :(

Do some research of prices to ship and then check out the prices in Oz of similar things and see what works out best i suppose?

Did anyone sell everything and then regret it as soon as they arrived? or did people bring the kitchen sink and wish they hadn't?

Caz

Added:

Just found this thread, it's quite similar:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/household/33393-ship-not-ship-furniture.html[url=http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/household/33393-ship-not-ship-furniture.html][/url]

I think it really depends on exactly what you have.

Like you we have a lot of ikea stuff, I literally went through Ikea aus webbie and costed up replacement for our beds, mattresses, dinner service and then looked at harvey norman for a comparison on electricals. Popped it all in excel and compared that to shipping quotes i'd seen on here for a 20ft container.

You have to remember all the small stuff too as it all adds up.

For us it will be slightly cheaper to get new, and of course we have the bonus of it being new and a chance to upgrade to something better quality.

BUT, having done overseas moves before it's a real hassle on top of everything else to go out and but an entire home set up of new - you end up settling for stuff you're not keen on or paying over the odds because you don't know better/have time.

For our aus move we're opted to ship no big furniture (so no container) but to ship boxes of essentials instead as a balance.

We too are in the same position and would appreciate any ideas, we're young couple with no kids. We bought our furniture a few years ago (knowing well we would be moving to oz so we didn't buy the best as we wern't planning on shipping it over). I have however been considering shipping bits over (same as you basil, no big items) as then we could take a few more of our personal items and wont have to have an extra baggage allowance. But i dont have any idea as to where to start looking for this any recommendations?

Havnt researched containers tbh,is it about £2,500 for a 20ft box? not sure tbh,in ours we have built in robes so no pricey stag minstrel gear to ship like i used to have,they "might" have been worth shipping.

So a leather suite,plasma telly and white goods to ship and bits and bobs thats all really,nah not worth it for me,cba with it all tbh,loads of horror stories with shipping as well,so hopefully a first time buyer will buy our hse and drop us a few conkers for the stuff,if not we'l give it away to family,we'l be docking with a cpl of grips each thats all

We were able to get a nice rental property in the 2nd week we we were there, We found that we had to buy all our white goods, and cooking utensils, Basically everything has the house was empty, including a table and chairs etc, We shipped over all our beds as they were pine and really nice quality, so only purchased airbeds and some cheap bed linen to see us through till our shipping arrived!

Thanks folks,

Since we're moving from a 3 bed house to a small flat, probably, we may either sell our UK stuff, or store it at parents - and buy replacements in Oz Once we get settled, we might decide what we do want to ship, if anything, and do so.

I'm a master of eBay, so am not afraid :-). Is eBay popular in Sydney? Do they have Freecycle?

D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ozzysteve

We have been here 1 month now, i would say bring as much as you can from the uk.

we are waiting for our stuff to arrive, we have bought BBQ fridge washer cups plates and forks, oh beer and a esky lol, body boards and a couple of hats !!!

TVs are really cheap at the mo in christmas sales, the only thing i would say, the choice in brands is not the same as the UK. Alot more unheard of makes, mostly from china/korea

well known brands demand more $$$, but then your a pom ! you can afford it :biglaugh:

Guest stuart

bring as much as you can your car included if you can afford it. just buy everything over there and ship it over you willthank your selves when you come over...........stuart

Guest headinabox

I'd agree. Bring it over.

The cost of shipping will probably cancel out the cost of selling and re-buying everything, but the added bonus of having your own familiar furniture around you when you are in a 'strange land'. That's priceless.

The only thing I wouldn't bother with is wardrobes. We are in QLD and so pretty much EVERY house we've lived in or viewed (Brisbane/ Gold Coast) has had built in wardrobes.

Also, Aussie fridges are more powerful (apparently) and they do seem to be much bigger, though you could always stick your UK one in the garage for beers.

All electrics are the same her so you can just swap the plugs over.

I don't know what paperwork is involved in bringing a car, but I have to say that could easily pay for itself, as cars appear to be more expensive here, though they do keep their value longer (probably something to do with not having grit/salt on the roads in winter.

You will need to buy a few things when you arrive of course - like a massive BBQ, outdoor dining furniture etc!

Guest guest30038

You would have a hard time chasing warranties if you had a problem with any of the stuff you bring over.............how long have you had it?...........what mileage is left in it?...........how much to ship it? ................what could you get for it if you sold it? Add the last two together and that's what you would have to go towards buying new here if you didn't ship...........complete with warranties and after sales service. It's simply a matter of doing your sums, deciding if you have an emotional attachment, or whether you would like to start off with all new stuff.

If you do ship, you can buy camping chairs/bed or an outdoor table and chairs (which you will likely need anyway) to see you through (indoors) till your shipment arrives

good luck.

kev

Guest Toorak Trev

If your young with no kids I would come as you are.

You have a few years to start collating "quality" items for the house. Stuff that has a useful life of 3 to 5 years (Ikea junk) then if its already at that age????

Plenty of places to buy quality second hand furniture (and of course buy your mattresses bed linen brand new).

If you place a big order for whiteware you can haggle a good 30% off as well as be more demanding with delivery times.

Archived