one more question on suburbs.

wishfulthinking

Depends on your $$$$, as Beaumaris (I was there yesterday) is the 'posher' end if you like to call it that. They are all good, handy to city access freeways, you have a big shopping strip at Mentone (and nice fish and chip shop !), good beach there. Mentone Girls Secondary College is a great school just for your interest. Also there is a massive shopping complex within reach,Southland Westfield, for everything you need with shops, large cinema complex within etc. You can't really go wrong, but it is price which could decide for you.

Parkdale, Mentone beach side because you can get near to the railway station, especially at Parkdale. Hence easy transport.

Beaumaris is a little further over so would have to drive to the station.

Mordialloc I am not that keen on mainly because its near to industrial area on the one side and very exposed to the bay on the beach side.

Have a look at the Metlink site and follow the Frankston train line and you will get a better idea of where I am talking about.

You are right about that Geoff, but given that costs and transport play a big part in choice, we were giving answers based on some of those important things. Mentone has most things you'd want - beach, transport, shops, accessible to most things. There are plenty of nice places to live around Melbourne, you are right in that it is best to get into the car, drive around and have a look. I am only 25 minutes to drive to the beach from the outer east here, and don't need to work in the city, so it suits me, but won't suit others. You and I both know how big the place is, as locals what is down the road to us, could be 'too far' for someone from an English 'village'.

Hi northernpommy, we landed in melbourne in nov 2005 but after 3 months hubby couldn't find work and we heard on the grapevine that perth was having a boom, so we went there. Stayed south perth for 8mths but prefered north perth. We actually left perth on xmas day last year and came back to england (been in perth for 4.5yrs altogether) but now we want to move back to oz but to melbourne as we found perth a little too quiet for us. The beaches and the weather were the only things we liked overall, we prefer a lot more going on and we know melbourne has that to offer. But you never know with us we might get there and do the same thing all over again. We have 4kids (13,10,6 and 3) and the youngest was born in oz. The kids miss the lifestyle of oz and being back here in the uk has really confirmed it for us that oz is definately home for us.

Cause we started off in melbourne we have friends in Rowville but we moved to Berwick and as lovely as Berwick was then with actually living in Perth and being near to the beach(we lived in Butler(north)) we know we have to live near a beach in Mel but not too sure on the areas as yet. With have the kids as well we have to find nurseries, primary and secondary to suit all the kids and in the catchments and be in a family, friendly neighbourhood.

Good luck with yr move to perth, hope it all works out for you.

Natalie

Archived