skilled visa

firebladebally

Hi all, i am a motor mechanic on a working holiday visa in oz. I have just been looking on immi.gov.au and have noticed the points test has changed. WShen i left england i was on 120 points and now only 115 which is too low. I dont understand all this "pool" stuff, what it my best option, visa wise as i dont want to go back to england ? any help appreciated, cheers.:biggrin:

Forget about the 'pool'. If you can't make 120 points, you have no chance of getting an independent visa. Also, the points test changes again from 1 July 2011 and as a tradie, you'll probably find that one even more difficult to pass.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-fact.pdf Proposed new points test - pass mark 65

In any case, even if you still scored the required points, you would only be eligible to apply for an offshore 175 visa and could only stay in Australia for the 2+ years it will take to be granted if you could find an employer willing to sponsor you for a 457 Temporary Business (Long Stay) visa. Without a 457, you would have to leave Australia and wait offshore for your 175.

Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)

It comes down to the fact that with or without 120 points (or 65 on the new test), as far as I can see, the only way you'll be able to stay on in Australia after your WHV is to find employer sponsorship.

If you work on a 457 for 2 years and your employer is then willing, they can sponsor you for a permanent 856 ENS visa.

Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 121/856)

If you can find an eligible and willing employer and can meet a number of other requirements (3 years experience, 3 year offer of employment, positive skills assessment and others), you would be able to go staight to an 856 without the interim 457 step.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1131.pdf Sponsored Migration booklet 5

Thanks alot of that, i cant believe how often these things change. so now i have to be tied in to an employer which i didnt want. Do you know how long you have to work for the employer who sponsors you ? thanks alot ozmaniac

Are any states sponsoring your occupation? That would reduce the points requirement o 100 from 120. Have you taken the new points test, it helps some people, doesn't help others.

Not an idiot at all, you just went for it and in my book that is gutsy. You may want to see what the criteria is for skills assessment, sorry I mean do you have to do it before you find sponsorship or, can you do it on the job? Hope someone knows this. There is a couple on the mechanics thread who both work in Victoria he is a mechanic and she works in the office (I think). They did say they would try and help if they could, maybe drop them a PM and see if they know. Leila x

Thanks alot of that, i cant believe how often these things change. so now i have to be tied in to an employer which i didnt want. Do you know how long you have to work for the employer who sponsors you ? thanks alot ozmaniac

If you go the 457 then 856 sponsorship route, you must work on a 457 for 2 years and must have worked for the 856 sponsor for at least the 12 months before they 856 application.

Once you have an 856, that is a permanent visa and there is no DIAC requirement for you to stay with that employer - you are a free agent as far as DIAC is concerned. If however the 856 sponsoring employer requires you to contract to work for them for a specific time, that's another matter and you would then be bound by the terms of the contract. It's worth considering the possibility though that even if you didn't have a contract and left as soon as you had your 856, I guess the word could get around the Ford dealer network to your detriment.

The state sponsorship under a State Migration Plan route is worth pursuing but keep in mind that it will take a considerable time to get skills assessment and sponsorship (and probably IELTS), all of which are required before you can lodge a visa application. If you can't lodge a visa application before 1 July next year, you will be subject to the new points test so make sure you can get the required 65 points before going too much further with that option.

Archived