1st christmas in OZ !!

cluster13

It is strange at first but we have been here 6 years now and we have got used to it being warm. It is so nice to be able to spend time together outside rather than all being cramped into one small room. We cook on the bbq and generally have a really chilled kind of day. At least not having daylight saving in Queensland it drops dark early enough to enjoy the Christmas lights

That made me laugh! When we went back to the UK a few years ago we called at my Aunts. She still lives on the same coalboard estate as she did when we were kids.

There was me, wife and 2 kids decided to go first. Then my Mum and Dad decided to come. My Aunt had her friend there and rang my cousin (who we hadn't seen for about 15 years). He came up with his 2 kids.

There we were, freezing outside, crammed into the front room with the gas fire on, sweating like pigs. Most people sat on the floor due to lack of seating and room.

Just looked like something off one of the Royle family episopdes. We had a great laugh though as my kids hadn't met my cousin and clan before and everyone has a great sense of humour.

We learnt pretty quickly not to try and emulate an English Christmas. Why bother? It's too hot to be cooking turkey in the middle of the day, that's for sure. We started having turkey and a big meal on Christmas Eve and then Christmas Day we have to please ourselves.

We are all beach and sea lovers too and if the weather is good, I would happily spend the whole day there. Usually the sea breeze gets up around lunchtime so we head off for a prawns on the barbie barbeque. Usual amounts of booze consumed though and most people are in a good mood.

I don't care what the weather is but I don't like just being us 4 but given my only alternative is to hang out with the in-laws ... it's times like Christmas I miss being part of a family most!

this will be our first Christmas too and I am having the dilemma of what to have for dinner, but think we have settled on picnic at beach on Christmas day & traditional (ish) dinner at night.

It feels strange being in malls with beautifully decorated trees and the sun is shining.

Also buying summery gifts as stocking fillers when back home it would be hats & gloves & hot waterbottles. I got a bit teary in a mall the other weekend hearing carols being played & knowing we won't be sharing our Christmas season with family and friends as we would normally do. However I am looking forward to starting new traditions & experiences for our family.

We actually went through our Christmas decorations on a hot day in July, in anticipation of our move, to sort out what could come & what couldn't ......which was strange!

You're in Australia! Go with the flow. I was talking to my Mum in Scarborough this morning our time (I'm on the Gold Coast) and she's had seven inches of snow overnight; 6 inches the night previous. No thanks! I've been here since 1973 and there's nothing I love more than our huge blue, cloudless skies.

Enjoy Christmas.

Archived