English spelling and grammar

KY9

Guest Working to fish
I wonder if it's generational thing. In my day (after I'd walked the ten miles to school barefoot in the snow) we had spelling and grammar drummed into us so much that I don't really have to think about it.

From what I saw of the modern educational system in the UK when my (now grown) kids were in school, they got little or nothing of this. They weren't even marked down on exams or essays for glaring errors. We certainly were.

I try not to judge but I find it easier to take seriously a post with good spelling and grammar. It's certainly easier to understand what they're trying to say.

Bob

When i was at school i was left handed ,i could not cut with scissors ,as they were for right handed kids ,in the end they cut off my left hand :cry:off

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest30038
I wonder if it's generational thing. In my day (after I'd walked the ten miles to school barefoot in the snow) we had spelling and grammar drummed into us so much that I don't really have to think about it.

From what I saw of the modern educational system in the UK when my (now grown) kids were in school, they got little or nothing of this.

Wot! :shocked: You mean you didn't make 'em walk barefoot? :shocked: You little softy you. :wink:

kev

Guest Working to fish
I wunder hoo they be then? :shocked:

Bloody hell Kev i was doing my best to draw attention away from you mate

:cool:

Guest guest30038
When i was at school i was left handed ,i could not cut with scissors ,as they were for right handed kids ,in the end they cut off my left hand :cry:off

You lucky bugger..............in your "quiet moments", alone in bed, I bet you thought someone else was doing it :biglaugh:

kev

Guest Working to fish
You lucky bugger..............in your "quiet moments", alone in bed, I bet you thought someone else was doing it :biglaugh:

kev

It was all good mate ,1st sit on your hand for 30 seconds wait for it to go dead ,then all was good

Sorry to all for Kev bringing down thread :shocked:

From what I saw of the modern educational system in the UK when my (now grown) kids were in school, they got little or nothing of this. They weren't even marked down on exams or essays for glaring errors. We certainly were.

I try not to judge but I find it easier to take seriously a post with good spelling and grammar. It's certainly easier to understand what they're trying to say.

Bob

My mum might be about the same age as you Bob, as she was taught the same way. She's very clever, picks things up really quickly and reads more than anyone I've ever met - but she can't spell for toffee :laugh: It doesn't mean she's as thick as mince though, as the OP seems to suggest, she simply can't spell, that's all.

I agree that there doesn't seem to be as much emphasis in schools on spelling and grammar as there used to be, and I do think that it's the wrong approach in an educational setting - but for the OP to single people out on a forum where things are more relaxed is a bit unfair I think.

There's no one on here who can't spell to the extent that no one understands them (except Mally and that's because he usually doesn't know where his glasses are and he doesn't care what we think about his spelling anyway) :laugh:

Guest Working to fish
My mum might be about the same age as you Bob, as she was taught the same way. She's very clever, picks things up really quickly and reads more than anyone I've ever met - but she can't spell for toffee :laugh: It doesn't mean she's as thick as mince though, as the OP seems to suggest, she simply can't spell, that's all.

I agree that there doesn't seem to be as much emphasis in schools on spelling and grammar as there used to be, and I do think that it's the wrong approach in an educational setting - but for the OP to single people out on a forum where things are more relaxed is a bit unfair I think.

There's no one on here who can't spell to the extent that no one understands them (except Mally and that's because he usually doesn't know where his glasses are and he doesn't care what we think about his spelling anyway) :laugh:

What about steve ,i have no idea what he says

Guest Working to fish
I always picture Frankie Boyle when I'm reading Stevie's posts, then it just comes naturally (the being able to understand him, I mean) :elvis::laugh:

rabsy nesbitt

for i :wink:

Guest Working to fish
Och, I'd forgotten about old Rab and his string vest...so who is right I wonder, is "Oor Stevie" a quick-witted, sharp-suited dresser like Frankie or is he a.....well, is he more like Rab? :eek::laugh:

um what you trying to say :wink::biglaugh:

I think a large amount of spelling mistakes are exactly that, mistakes, its not because the author is fick its maybe just because they cannot be bothered to go back and put it right. Also their are a few members that suffer dyslexia so maybe we should keep and eye on some of their posts and check their grammer:no:

Also i frequently type words that i have had no problem with before and then look at them and cannot decide wether its right or not but cant be arsed to spell check. Is that just me or does anyone else get that? Or maybe i am just a ficko biulder!:cool:

I think a large amount of spelling mistakes are exactly that, mistakes, its not because the author is fick its maybe just because they cannot be bothered to go back and put it right. Also their are a few members that suffer dyslexia so maybe we should keep and eye on some of their posts and check their grammer:no:

Also i frequently type words that i have had no problem with before and then look at them and cannot decide wether its right or not but cant be arsed to spell check. Is that just me or does anyone else get that? Or maybe i am just a ficko biulder!:cool:[/QUOT

I do that as well , saying that i really can not be bothered :sad:.

Guest Working to fish

Also i frequently type words that i have had no problem with before and then look at them and cannot decide wether its right or not but cant be arsed to spell check. Is that just me or does anyone else get that? Or maybe i am just a ficko biulder!:cool:

I would say yes your a thick biulder ,

Are you dyslexia suffer ?:err:

Guest sunnyday
I think a large amount of spelling mistakes are exactly that, mistakes, its not because the author is fick its maybe just because they cannot be bothered to go back and put it right. Also their are a few members that suffer dyslexia so maybe we should keep and eye on some of their posts and check their grammer.

I can't believe anybody would waste time and energy getting wound up about it but it takes all sorts I suppose. I think the majority don't care as long as they/we get the meaning of the post they're reading/writing. I don't always correct spelling mistakes because its PIO not an academic piece :goofy:

Guest Working to fish
Dont you mean fick as sh1t!:biglaugh:

dont know mate ,you know what my spelling is like :unsure::embarrassed:

Archived