Eltham. Ferntree Gully, Berwick or Cranbourne?

Bobths

We arrived from Scotland 2 weeks ago. Currently staying in Highett, but considering viewing some rental properties in Eltham tomorrow. Do you recommend the area for a 6 year old who will attend the local school? We also have acollie cross, who is currently in quarantine.

Good luck with the viewings, 6 year old should be fine in any area as being so young easy to slot in at school. Its teenagers who are hard in my view.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest nicky0

Hi I hope you don't mind me mailing you. We are moving to Melbourne in November and we are really stuck about where we are wanting to move to. Eltham sounds really nice. We also like the look of Berwick but then I have heard that it is really big cul-de-sacs - which really I would rather get away from. Can you tell me a bit more about Eltham please. My husband will proably be working in the CBD. I am a Massage Therapist for Human and horses so would ideally like to have a few yards (equestrian centres) near by. We have two kids aged 5 & 8 so we will be looking for a good Primary School aswell.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Nicky Ogilvie

Eltham is a very nice suburb and has a lot of arty type people in the area and nothing bad to say about it. I would live there but too far from the beach for me. I would prefer it to Berwick.

If you join the Britvics site there is a member who lives in Eltham on the forum not sure whether she visits this forum.

It depends which part of Cranbourne, there's nothing wrong with it generally, and it's gettable to the Mornington Peninsula and Eastlink/Princes Hwy/Sth Gippy Highway etc, lots of housing estates popping up, but that's life, people have to live somewhere, and all out that way is Victoria's huge growth corridor, nothing wrong with that. Eltham is lovely and not far from Warrandyte and the outer Yarra Valley and Diamond Valley where there are lots of horsey places for your work (there are horse riding centres in Warrandyte)

Dont live in Cranbourne, its a total hole. Eltham and Berwick are both lovely.

Thats a mighty confident statement your making there about Cranbourne. What grounds do you have to make it?

I have to say there are many PIO posters who live in Cranbourne and would argue your point whole heartedly and im sure would agree that you are talking rubbish.

I assume from your profile page that you live Greensborough way. Well having lived there myself for 12months when we first landed I can say in my opinion that Greensborough is far more of a hole than Cranbourne. The only thing it has going for it is the road out of there. Lack of family friendly environments, rude local and international residents, poor schools......It depends on what your looking for I suppose

In answer to your question about broadband (which only those who look at your profile will see by the way) is that yes there are many internet companies that provide it in Greensborough. All of them i believe. due to the price of the contracts and little download, we found going with a PAYG 3 dongle worked until we joined a contract

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hammfam

Hi I work for Nillumbik Council which covers Eltham and know a bit about all the areas being discussed. It obviously comes down to personal preference. Cranbourne is largely a new town, it has good facilities and is closer to the beech as you will have already seen. Eltham is an older and more established town. It has a large ex pat population and is a leafy suburb. The facilities are not so new but it would be quicker to get to the CBD than Cranbourne. Ferntree Gully is a fire risk area and while the risks this year are quite low this is something you would need to be very aware of. The property prices are higher in Eltham than any of the other areas mentioned and it is well sought after with some well renowned schools. I have a friend who has some two bedroom townhouses available for rent in nearby greensborough. If anyone is interested please let me know. You can sometimes experience some difficulty with renting if you have never rented before and the rental market can sometimes get very competitive.

Guest jeza

Cranbourne is a controversial area, because it is one of the fastest changing areas in Melbourne. People who live there, and in the surrounding areas such as berwick and lyndurst, lynbrook etc know this...others outside of the immediate area often hold an outdated view, and think the whole area is run down. The area of cranbourne is huge...there really are good and bad parts...this is reflected in price and age of the house. The new areas are actually 70percent second home buyers and over the age of 35. There are reports that you can goggle on this. Why is this you ask when it s quite far from the city? The reason is that the developers have designed the developments extremely well...with lots f open spaces, walking tracks, lakes, shops and schools that are a very easy walk. This greatly appeals to young, middle aged and old.

Berwick is considered the better area out this way...but many think it is over priced...especially with brand new estates in cranbourne becoming more and more popular. And at 80 thousand or so less.

We thought we would buy in berwick, but all it has that cranbourne north and east does not have is the name. Cranbourne north...where we bought has easy access to all of berwicks resources...and contributes many more of it's own.

Some of the properties in a few of the berwick estates are on slightly larger sites...but then you lose the easy walking distance advantages that cranbourne estates have...and you pay so much for it now!

Berwick has a main street that some like....we are having to much fun all over Melbourne to bother with it much....it's about 100 meters long...but ok.

There are nice neighborhood cares all over cranbourne and berwick, it really is a great area with many many brand new resources...pools parks, shops, walking and biking tracks, huge beautiful lakes, movies etc etc. Solo much to do here, we are never bored!

A big consideration in choosing cranbourne north over berwick for us is losing so much on the exchange rate...why over extend ourselves when berwick and the newer parts of cranbourne really are not all that different.

In regards to schools...berwick secondary, although fine and ok, does not have the greatest reputation among berwick parents...it's considered just ok, and no better than any other local school. Many berwick parents are now opting for the very new Alkira secondary school, which is considerably more strict that berwick secondary. Alkira boarders on berwick...but s smack in the middle of a cranbourne north estate....so there is a strong example of changing attitudes towards cranbourne.

Is cranbourne a bogan area? Well, if you want to live somewhere where everyone is dressed up tp the nines...then you need o live very close the the city. The Newer areas of Cranbourne is a laid back jeans and tea shirt style...people generally drive nice cars....they come from all kinds of occupations. Older areas may have more people struggling I think. But as I said, cranbourne s huge and each estate is quite separate from others and have their own feel.

Don't write cranbourne off...it has great resources, is still well priced, nice communities...and it really is a 30min drive to the city...40km at 80km per hour =a 30min drive. (the monash is actually a100km freeway) so on a good run...even less time. I have travelled the mo ash at 7.30am...very busy, 8am...not too bad at all, and 9am...free ride the whole way! Good luck with making your decision! And if you choose to settle in cranbourne...let us know!

Guest jeza

Sorry about the errors...this iPad of mine likes to try and correct things that are actully right...very annoying 'feature' indeed!

Me personally I would look at older established suburbs, my reasons are Services with a capital S.

Older areas have less strain on kindergartens, schools and infrastructure. Also older areas have good internet cover which is not available in a lot of the new estates. Relying on wireless cover for internet is hit and miss and depends on how near to an antenna you live to have good cover. If you are on the outer rim as soon as the area becomes clogged the outer people drop out.

I do not like the acres and acres of new housing because I think the blocks that the houses are set on are way too small these days. The streets are also too narrow and if you have friends over this can cause problems with parking.

Double story houses get very hot in the summer upstairs so they cost a lot more to heat and cool. A lot of the new houses have no eaves on the roof therefore the brick walls heat up in summer as no shade.

Transport is a problem in any new area, mainly because its lacking and also if it is there, there is huge demand for it.

You can buy a house in an older area on the fringe for a couple of hundred thousand less often, might need renovation but the land will be bigger and the services are there.

Food for thought.

Guest jeza

Older house in old berwick starts at 400 thousand and will be very small. This area has very tight small streets. The new areas have slot more park land spaces so yes, small land, but plenty of places to walk to. Petal makes a good point about parking for friends in the smaller streets...we have bought in a wide street....so not a problem. Most old and new estates have many tight streets, and inner Melbourne which is very established is even worse! can hardly move around there!

What services do you think are missing petal? The services are the best part! We have a choice of endless primary schools, and 3 secondary's. I feel spoilt for choice! We have doctors and restaurants and a small supermarket right on our estate. 1 min away is a huge new shopping complex, 10 mins is fountain gate. Buses run through the estate and the motorway and train station are both a 5 min drive. Work in dandenong is 20 mins away, and the city is 1/2 an hour....40 km on a 100 km motorway takes less than 30 mins. I can't speak for kin day as my kids are older. Infact recent report claim 70 percent of the estate is families with parents over 35 years of age...not first home buyers at all!

Really, new estates are affordable, have great services and the very new one have fibre optic networks for Internet. Even in berwick we had wireless and it was fine. So.....

I am Australian, born here and am old enough to have watched Cranbourne go from an outer rural farming/orchard area only 30 years ago to a booming residential outer suburb of Melbourne, so much has it changed over the years. The thing is, people have to live somewhere, and these housing estates had to be built for young people to have a home. There have been some teething problems, yes, infrastructure a bit slow sometimes and trees and greenery needing to grow, but Cranbourne being the large area it is is a good living area for commute to Dandenong and the Mornington Peninsula etc. I am moving house, and have already decided on where I am going, but I did look at the Hunt Club in Cranbourne East and quite liked it. Like everything it all depends on your circumstances - if you have plenty of money you can live wherever you like, but if you are on a reasonable budget, Cranbourne, Langwarrin, Hastings, etc are all a good buy.

Guest jeza

As a CRT teacher, I find the public schools in older areas are atrocious! I would not leave my dog in most of them. Melbourne is largely made up of these old, post war housing estates...with unsuitable schools to match. Tiny classrooms, dark and dingy with small windows. New schools are open and airy, and very well resourced. I tend to find all the services in olde areas to be of the post war era...much to our disappointment. So manta areas with horrible very old highly outdated housing in frankly, dangerous areas. I'd choose a new suburb any day...even if I di have to travel 10 mins more...and many other second home buyers are also choosing this. It's not all first home buyers in the new suburbs...far from it!

Older house in old berwick starts at 400 thousand and will be very small. This area has very tight small streets. The new areas have slot more park land spaces so yes, small land, but plenty of places to walk to. Petal makes a good point about parking for friends in the smaller streets...we have bought in a wide street....so not a problem. Most old and new estates have many tight streets, and inner Melbourne which is very established is even worse! can hardly move around there!

What services do you think are missing petal? The services are the best part! We have a choice of endless primary schools, and 3 secondary's. I feel spoilt for choice! We have doctors and restaurants and a small supermarket right on our estate. 1 min away is a huge new shopping complex, 10 mins is fountain gate. Buses run through the estate and the motorway and train station are both a 5 min drive. Work in dandenong is 20 mins away, and the city is 1/2 an hour....40 km on a 100 km motorway takes less than 30 mins. I can't speak for kin day as my kids are older. Infact recent report claim 70 percent of the estate is families with parents over 35 years of age...not first home buyers at all!

Really, new estates are affordable, have great services and the very new one have fibre optic networks for Internet. Even in berwick we had wireless and it was fine. So.....

I do not think services are missing, I think they are under stress because of the average age of the inhabitants of newer areas. Because of the baby bonus etc there will be a lot of children coming through at the same age and the infrastructure is just not there to accommodate them. People will find it harder to get places in kindergarten and the school they want etc. Also later on it puts pressure on services for older children leading to vandalism etc as both parents working to pay the mortgage. Its happened before and it will keep on happening if we build such huge sprawling estates with no services. Services are services if you can walk to the shop, school, doctor etc, if you have to have two cars, budget is hit and isolation sets in for any mums who are unfortunate to be at home.

Therefore if I was a new migrant I would want to live in a more established area and I did when we migrated. We did not live in the outer suburbs when we first moved here we lived in Elwood and Caulfield. We only moved out after much research and living in the country for years, in fact we had been here eleven years before we moved to the Peninsula.

I also have no problem with old schools etc, its the education that is provided that is the most important thing. The school my son teaches is in dire and needs replacing but that does not mean it is not a good school, it just means the gov have not got around to fixing it.

Where I lived and where my children grew they could walk to the tennis club, walk to the footy club and cricket club. Get the train or the bus. No need to rely on mum's taxi except at night. My son rode his bike to school, if they were stuck they could walk home from school. Those are the facilities that were important to me, not the look of the place.

Guest jeza

Ok, sports are well coverered in all the new estates cranbourne way with Casey fields which is huge... Biggest in Melbourne I believe and a 5 min drive from our place. Walking to sport.....not a problem... Netball cricket football all offered right across the road, between two joining estates. The thing is, you can buy a really cheap first home in an estate, but 70 percent of buyers are over 35 and half of those are over 50 years of age. This makes for a very diverse community, and most are building big homes, not first homes at all. I understand that you would think there are no services when you first drive through, but that is not the case in the case of cranbourne estates... They are all well catered for, possibly in the past that was the case, but in the last 3 years many many brand new facilities have been put in.everything is well within walking and that is the best paRt.

Guest jeza

Many new migrants choose these estates...everyone is new... Great chance to make friends with people looking for friends too. New mums at home...plenty of baby groups on offer...with other mums looking for local friendships as we are all new!

Guest The Pom Queen

The Hunt Club estate in Cranbourne is in an excellent location, walking distance to schools, the 37million dollar Aquatic Centre, bowling, library, it's also walkable to the town centre. It also has a Fibre Optic connection.

Guest jeza

I think a very important consideration these days is ...if you want to buy a house in the area in Afew years time ....will you be able to afford to? Most of the bays areas are completely out of everyones budget, especially when you consider downgrading of jobs and taking a hit from the exchange rate.

So, with this in mind, you have 3 choices.... Assuming you have 500,000 or so to spend. You have the choice of a new estate 30 mins from the city... I still can't believe this is actually possible! In ten years it will be impossible. Second choice... A very old very small run down, possibly attached house in areas that are currently considered a little dangerous. Yes, closer to the city by 10 mins .... Possibly a good buy if you know you will be working in the city. Finally, a house way way out on country land or near the coast, and even then, it wont be a decent side Bobbie farm or anything... Just a house lot .

When we first came over I felt terrible that we could not afford the suggest areas in the bays. Then I began to realize that actually, all the normal hard working people live in one of the above 3 options... The vert wealthy live in the bays, or those who are happy to have a big mortgage.

New estates are good options. There are all the services people desire these days. Good decent normal working people live in then... Not people who 'have to live somewhere' or first home buyers only, or mums with little buns only. All of the 3 options are great choices.

Guest jeza

He he little buns is mention to say little bubs. Other errors you will all have to work out yourself... I blame the stupid spell check on every apple product you can buy... Anyone know how to switch it off?

Guest jeza

I think a very important consideration these days is ...if you want to buy a house in the area in Afew years time ....will you be able to afford to? Most of the bays areas are completely out of everyones budget, especially when you consider downgrading of jobs and taking a hit from the exchange rate.

So, with this in mind, you have 3 choices.... Assuming you have 500,000 or so to spend. You have the choice of a new estate 30 mins from the city... I still can't believe this is actually possible! In ten years it will be impossible. Second choice... A very old very small run down, possibly attached house in areas that are currently considered a little dangerous. Yes, closer to the city by 10 mins .... Possibly a good buy if you know you will be working in the city. Finally, a house way way out on country land or near the coast, and even then, it wont be a decent side Bobbie farm or anything... Just a house lot .

When we first came over I felt terrible that we could not afford the suggest areas in the bays. Then I began to realize that actually, all the normal hard working people live in one of the above 3 options... The vert wealthy live in the bays, or those who are happy to have a big mortgage.

New estates are good options. There are all the services people desire these days. Good decent normal working people live in then... Not people who 'have to live somewhere' or first home buyers only, or mums with little buns only. All of the 3 options are great choices.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived