Eltham. Ferntree Gully, Berwick or Cranbourne?

Bobths

Guest my3152

Sorry, I seem to have lost the plot here. Are we having a go at one anothers suburbs or are we trying to help those that really want and need some help????????? I think some folk need to re read their opinions and try to put themselves in the position of the person who is to some extent relying on what folk here say. It is hard enough moving to a strange country without those that are there having a cat fight about their suburbs. A bit of empathy would not go astray :hug:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, I seem to have lost the plot here. Are we having a go at one anothers suburbs or are we trying to help those that really want and need some help????????? I think some folk need to re read their opinions and try to put themselves in the position of the person who is to some extent relying on what folk here say. It is hard enough moving to a strange country without those that are there having a cat fight about their suburbs. A bit of empathy would not go astray :hug:

Different views are very relevant for newcomers. Its no good sending them off to somewhere they are going to be completely isolated, have no public transport and unsatisfactory internet when they are probably going to be using Skype to keep in touch with back home.

By having different points of view the people can then think about what they want and the kind of life they want to lead and make an informed decision.

Its not "cat fighting" as you seem to think.

Have a read through all the forums and you will see that there is a lot of very good information given by a lot of people and I only wish we had had that when we first came to Aus.

Guest my3152

I too wish I had been given more info before I landed here, but things llike this forum were not available waaaay back than. Having said that I would have wanted constructive comments had it been available, hence my comments :chatterbox:

Cat fight? No, everyone has different experiences, it's important to share them! Petals opinion is different to mine on new suburbs,but I have still learnt a lot from her over the years. She loves where she lives, and I love where I live. She is right that some new burbs to seem to be in the middle of no where...ours isn't but lots are! And she is right that the plots are getting smaller and smaller! These are just things that one needs to consider, that's all.

Cat fight? No, everyone has different experiences, it's important to share them! Petals opinion is different to mine on new suburbs,but I have still learnt a lot from her over the years. She loves where she lives, and I love where I live. She is right that some new burbs to seem to be in the middle of no where...ours isn't but lots are! And she is right that the plots are getting smaller and smaller! These are just things that one needs to consider, that's all.

So true Jeza. Its not that I am against new build estates or not but I try to think of where the person is coming from to live here in Aus. Its so different, living in a village in UK which is considered as "living in the country" usually turns out to be a short drive to Tesco in the nearest larger town etc. That does not happen here. Its so vast and our planners are so useless in my view that they do not think about where they put estates and how people are going to access the things that make life good. They are getting better but there is still a lot of improvement needed. For example, take the Westernport Highway, they spent millions putting the road over the train line to stop the South Eastern from blocking up with the trains. City of Casey comes along and puts an estate at Lyndhurst, then goodness me we cannot access the road, oh put in some lights just a couple of hundred metres from where millions were spent to keep the road running smoothly. Now its grid lock again and more grid lock, no forward planning, just one example.

Big estate hundreds of people mostly young two years later oh we might need a school. Totally useless planning again. The right hand does not know what the left is doing that is the problem.

I appreciate that this is the case with many estates. But I have to say that as the op was asking about cranbourne I am so impressed with cranbourne north and east too. Shops and school right on the estate and for us 1 min th bigger shopping centre sport fields galore and 5 min to train that goes to beaches and city. I appreciate that you have a greater knowledge than me about where the person is coming from and respect that. So your knowledge there is very useful indeed. My big worry was the kind of people living in cranbourne. In the new estate the people are lovely so no worries there. In regards to Internet we have had to pay to lay optic fibre and this is compulsory for every household, but please, if Anyone is considering any new estate it is your responsibility to double check that everything is on and hooked up. I really tried hard to get apicture of different places to live before co

Ing over... As you know petals! But at the end of the day everyone really has to look for themselves. My idea of good services for example is different to yours. Nothing wrong with that. We are all free to speak as we wish so long as it doesn't get all personal...which I dont feel it ever has.I'm happy as you are to say it how they see it. It's just an opinion after all.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi, I haven't been around the same over the past few days but am I missing a post? I don't see any "cat fights" going on just sensible discussions about different areas in Melbourne. What we have to remember is that everyone is different and what may be paradise for one may be a slum for another, however, it is nice to get different views on areas.:wubclub:

The reality is that if you have 500,000 or there a bouts to spend you will have to make choices. Each option has it's pros and cons. I wish areas closer to the city had a better reputation, but no one on here would disagree with me that the areas closer to the city for under 500,000 are a little dodgy with very old housing and possibly not the safest areas. Going down the coast is another option but it is really far down before you find something affordable. Growth areas are another option...and the one we chose...but then you are 30 mins to a beach and 1 hour on a train. I don't mean to sound negative about any areas, it's hard having to adjust to reality! but in my opinion, what is on offer in all 3 options is still a superb unique and exciting lifestyle...coast, city, new housing...your choice!

Dodgy is possibly a strong word....they look ok safety wise to me actually. Older housing yes, but easy access to a fantastic city!

Guest Fate will decide
Dodgy is possibly a strong word....they look ok safety wise to me actually. Older housing yes, but easy access to a fantastic city!

Hi, I have just read the whole of this thread and found it really useful!

Would you mind me asking if where you are in Berwick would be suitable for a young family with three little ones? Are the public primary schools ok?We looked at Point Cook, but am worried that there doesnt seem to be much to do for a stay at home mum. (I may be wrong, but did a few google.au searches, same as i would in the UK)

My husband plans to work in the CBD and is slightly concerned about the 1hr commute, but we like big modern housing estates.(Not everyones choice I know but its what we're in in the UK!)

Any help/advice gratefully received!

I do not live in Berwick however its a nice area lots of new housing around about. You need to check what type of internet connection you can have though as a lot of the newer estates are short on good connections.

Lots of people with young children around the area. There are a lot of threads in the Victorian Suburbs forum about different areas and Berwick and schools etc. Just have a read through.

Access to the city is fine out of rush hour but in rush hour if going by car it can take a while.

The western suburbs are closer to the CBD for your husband's work.

• 3 months later...

I know a major factor, at least for us, in selecting an area is the distance/time to travel to the CBD and the beach. I would find it really useful if someone could post approx. times to both the CBD and the closest beach from Eltham, Ferntree Gully and Berwick (car or train).

Out of the suburbs you have selected Berwick is the closest to the beach and about an hour by train to the CBD. Its on the Dandenong line which is a very busy line.

The others you mention you would have to take the Eastlink Tollway and the closest beach would probably be Carrum.

The Port Phillip Bay Beaches, Edithvale, Chelsea, Bon Beach, Carrum, Seaford then you get to Frankston. These are all bay beaches.

Also can get to the Peninsula beaches easy from Berwick, Point Leo is one where we used to take the kids body boarding.

Avoid Gunamatta beach on the Peninsula it is a very dangerous beach and a lot of people have drowned there as the rip is bad.

Just reading in the paper today that Frankston is one of the suburbs to watch if you want to make capital gain on property, it has all the services an older town and the train, beach and all that goes with it. Of course us locals know all this and really do not want it to be yuppified.

I am not sure about seats on the train from Berwick, hope someone else may be able to help you there but going home its the luck of the drawer whether you stand for a while.

Yes we do have surf beaches and Gunamatta is one of them. Pont Leo is a surf beach and quite popular. The surf beaches are the back beaches at the entrance to Westernport Bay really, Portsea, Sorrento back beaches. Rye back beach. These are not really suitable for young children though.

The Australian leg of the World Surfing Competition is held every year here in Victoria at Bells Beach which is on the other side of Melbourne Torquay, Jan Juc way.

Phillip Island is also popular with surfies and you get the surf report every day in the paper and on the tele.

If you are really keen on being at the beach then you probably should look at living in the beach side suburbs as petrol being the price it is and the tolls on the freeway can make the trip to the beach expensive.

As Petals mentioned there are the city beaches (bay beaches) and Peninsula beaches, which are really the most popular closer to the city (especially St. Kilda beach) and most of the best surf beaches are around the Surf Coast near Geelong - Great Ocean Road etc. Phillip Island is well over an hour's drive on the freeway, but it is a lovely place to visit and surf.

They are a little bit of a drive from the city though. You may have to check them all out to find your favourite. My favourite beach on the Peninsula is Mornington, has a paddle beach there for the kids near the pier. There is not as much of a 'beach culture' here as say Sydney or Queensland, but we do love our beaches in the summer.

dont get me wrong a the beaches aren't the be all and end all, we are coming to melbourne for all it has to offer not just the beaches, but it is helpful to get your opinoin, as locals, on what to expect - especially when researching suburbs.

so does living somewhere like Eltham make a trip to the beach, say St Kidla (if thats the closest), a bit of a task???

The inner city beaches have another problem: Parking the car :laugh:

There are beaches all the way down from Melbourne, Pot Melbourne, South Melbourne, St Kilda Elwood Brighton, Sandringham, Black Rock, Mentone, Parkdale, Mordialloc, Aspendale, Chelsea, Edithvale, Bon Beach, Carrum,Seaford, Frankston, Mount Eliza, Mornington, Mount Martha and on and on, just take your pick.

For me living on the Peninsula we like Balnarring Beach not that I ever go in the water but just to walk on etc. Somers is also ok.

Thanks for the info.

When you a 'very busy line' would this mean standing for a 1 hour commute???

Are there any surf beaches within a reasonable distance of Berwick or is surfing really not big with the people of melbourne?

In the morning as Berwick is quite near the beginning of the line you should easily get a seat - the train gets more chaotic after Dandenong which is a huge interchange area with lots of bus routes feeding into the station. In the evening would depend on where you get on - if you are in the city you are pretty much OK but a few stops out and it is standing room only. However people are getting on and off all the time and it would be very unlikely that you would have to stand all the way to Berwick.

Archived