What's the best Visa / Plan for us?

Goochie

My wife and I are looking to move to Oz in the next 18 months, however I'm not quite sure which Visa would be best for us?

I'm a degree qualified mechanical designer and my with is a veterinary receptionist. Therefore we'd be using my background as the basis for our visa application.

We've yet to decide on where we would like to live in Australia.

My employer in the UK has a sister company in Melbourne which could be a reasonably easy option, if they're interested in taking me on of course.

So, what are the options on Visas? Which do most people go with?

Am I right in saying that with some visas, you have to leave the country if you are made redundant of change employer in Oz?

I dont want to put everything into a life changing move, on the back of a job that may turn out to be unbearable after a few months.

As you can tell, we're in the early stages of all this, but as with anything I do, it'll be meticulously planned before anything happens LOL! Expect many more posts.

Guest scottech

I opted for visa subclass 175 (Skilled Independent). I can go anywhere, work as anything, totally unrestricted. I am a teacher, but if I can't get a job teaching right away it wont affect my visa. It might be for you.

My wife and I are looking to move to Oz in the next 18 months, however I'm not quite sure which Visa would be best for us?

I'm a degree qualified mechanical designer and my with is a veterinary receptionist. Therefore we'd be using my background as the basis for our visa application.

We've yet to decide on where we would like to live in Australia.

My employer in the UK has a sister company in Melbourne which could be a reasonably easy option, if they're interested in taking me on of course.

So, what are the options on Visas? Which do most people go with?

Am I right in saying that with some visas, you have to leave the country if you are made redundant of change employer in Oz?

I dont want to put everything into a life changing move, on the back of a job that may turn out to be unbearable after a few months.

As you can tell, we're in the early stages of all this, but as with anything I do, it'll be meticulously planned before anything happens LOL! Expect many more posts.

Beware of paralysis by analysis.

Thanks.

Given the long wait for permanent visas and our desire to get out there ASAP, it is OK to apply for permanent now and then a 457 in a couple of months, before the first application has gone through?

Hello Goochie,

This is actually quite a common strategy and a good idea. Please note though that at the time of your GSM visa grant you will need to go offshore. A short trip to NZ/Fiji etc is all that is required.

Regards

Just had another thought...... If we apply for a permanent visa, but decide NOT to go on a 457 before it is granted, at what point will I have to tell my current employer? Do I have to provide proof of work experience?

Proof of employment would be easy to prove with pay slips etc. but showing what I've been doing for the last 4 years since I started there is impossible without asking my employer.

Archived