Category 4

Bluecatcollectables

Hi All,

It's been a while since I've posted. But I check these forums regularly for any news and development. Big Congrats to all of you who recently received a CO! And of course to you who received a Grant! Fantastic. It's so nice to hear Good News!!

Anyway, I am now in Category 4 - family sponsored - Marketing Manager - IELTS 8. I lodged my visa on 16 December 2008. It has been a bit of a wait, wouldn't you say?!

(pl. ignore my sarcasm...)

Thelatest developments, however, give me, dare I say it, a little hope. It seems to me that Category 1 will be small in numbers compared with the other categories. Also category 2 (victoria SMP) seems to be quite skimmed-down and has some stringent requirements, ie. ielts test results and length in occupation. So again I don't think too many new applicants will be able to rush into this category, especially since Vic have applied a CAP. This leaves Category 3. Again the new SOL is rather slimmed down from privious number of occupations. What makes me hope that Category 4 will get 'a look in', is that new applicants might be discouraged a little by the terrible exchange rate and the incredible rise in house prices over in oz. If you were to do your research now, prior to applying, you may well not be as eager to apply, given this criteria.

So, as DIAC have recently been ploughing their way through applicants in the queue (CAT 3), the list will be going down all the time. I also note that there is an allowance of 3,500 places made for family sponsored. Surely when they finally get to this, they will look at the oldest in this category first?! How many of us Dinosaurs are there under this category I wonder? I understand it goes back to 2007? Any info will be highly appreciated, especially for anyone now in Category 4 Family Sponsored. This is why I posted this new Thread. ( I know there was one a while back, but I can't find it anymore)

Let us not loose hope here. If DIAC has an allocation allowance under this category surely they will eventually have to look at us?! I also think that DIAC are aware that backlogs are no good, whichever way you look at it.

Hi All,

It's been a while since I've posted. But I check these forums regularly for any news and development. Big Congrats to all of you who recently received a CO! And of course to you who received a Grant! Fantastic. It's so nice to hear Good News!!

Anyway, I am now in Category 4 - family sponsored - Marketing Manager - IELTS 8. I lodged my visa on 16 December 2008. It has been a bit of a wait, wouldn't you say?!

Thelatest developments, however, give me, dare I say it, a little hope. It seems to me that Category 1 will be small in numbers compared with the other categories. Also category 2 (victoria SMP) seems to be quite skimmed-down and has some stringent requirements, ie. ielts test results and length in occupation. So again I don't think too many new applicants will be able to rush into this category, especially since Vic have applied a CAP. This leaves Category 3. Again the new SOL is rather slimmed down from privious number of occupations. What makes me hope that Category 4 will get 'a look in', is that new applicants might be discouraged a little by the terrible exchange rate and the incredible rise in house prices over in oz. If you were to do your research now, prior to applying, you may well not be as eager to apply, given this criteria.

So, as DIAC have recently been ploughing their way through applicants in the queue (CAT 3), the list will be going down all the time. I also note that there is an allowance of 3,500 places made for family sponsored. Surely when they finally get to this, they will look at the oldest in this category first?! How many of us Dinosaurs are there under this category I wonder? I understand it goes back to 2007? Any info will be highly appreciated, especially for anyone now in Category 4 Family Sponsored. This is why I posted this new Thread. ( I know there was one a while back, but I can't find it anymore)

Let us not loose hope here. If DIAC has an allocation allowance under this category surely they will eventually have to look at us?! I also think that DIAC are aware that backlogs are no good, whichever way you look at it.

Dear Bluecatcollectables

I too am a family sponsored cat 4 applicant dating back to 2007. Dont get u r hopes up. They have a backlog of 40000 applicants in the family sponsored cat 4 category and they will first finish the applicants who are in cat 3 from the family sponsored quota. That quota of 3500 will definately be exhausted by cat 3 family sponsored applicants.

Dear Bluecatcollectables

I too am a family sponsored cat 4 applicant dating back to 2007. Dont get u r hopes up. They have a backlog of 40000 applicants in the family sponsored cat 4 category and they will first finish the applicants who are in cat 3 from the family sponsored quota. That quota of 3500 will definately be exhausted by cat 3 family sponsored applicants.

Where did you get that exact figure from??

Guest garynhelen
Hi All,

Thank you for the positivity, I started to feel hopeful again until I read a later post :(

We are cat 4 176 family sponsored, applied in June 2009, so a little after you. The exchange rate is shocking right now, so It's probably best that we don't get our visa's just yet anyway! And we could do with the house prices in the UK to pick up a bit. I don't mind waiting at all, If I had some guarantee that we'd get processed at some point with all our children still allowed on our visa! (one is 18 next May, so we'll have to keep and prove her dependency on us)

I do like your theory, it's helps to not feel so dependant on being on a SMP,

thanks,

Helen

I got it from a post by one of the migration agents.

Hi there,

Just curious to know if you also have a figure for Family sponsored applicants from Cat 3 waiting in the queue - or any idea where to get that information from? If it's anywhere near as large as the numbers you quote for Cat 4 we really need to re-think our options.

Cheers.

Guest VickyMel

Hopefully any family sponsored in the Cat 3 queue would come off the "Cat 3" quota rather than the "Family" quota so the more there the better as it would hopefully reduce the numbers waiting.

Thanks for that ray of hope Vickymel! Not sure I totally understand though. Have you heard somewhere that the the Cat 3s have a separate quota? I mean, if we were lucky enough to be processed before July 2011 would we not take one of those 3,500 family sponsored places? Sorry, I'm so confused by now (probably this is a question that no-one can answer at present). Thanks anyway for your encouragement.

Guest VickyMel

Yes Cat 2s and Cat 3s now have quotas.

DIAC announced it a couple of weeks ago one of the agents posted it.

I can't remember the figure for Cat 3 possibly around 35,000??? Cat 2s was about 23,000.

So I just assumed that Cat 3s that are in Cat 2 will come off the Cat 2 quota and by the same reconning that anyone with a family visa in Cat 3 might come out of that quota.

I suppose we won't know this for sure and it will be up to DIAC to allocate. Some of the old 176 SS applicants that had previously applied for 175 visas were processed as 175 even after switching to 176 so I suppose DIAC shuffles the figures accordingly?

But hopefully it should favour family visas - you family applicants certainly deserve a break.

Yes Cat 2s and Cat 3s now have quotas.

DIAC announced it a couple of weeks ago one of the agents posted it.

I can't remember the figure for Cat 3 possibly around 35,000??? Cat 2s was about 23,000.

So I just assumed that Cat 3s that are in Cat 2 will come off the Cat 2 quota and by the same reconning that anyone with a family visa in Cat 3 might come out of that quota.

I suppose we won't know this for sure and it will be up to DIAC to allocate. Some of the old 176 SS applicants that had previously applied for 175 visas were processed as 175 even after switching to 176 so I suppose DIAC shuffles the figures accordingly?

But hopefully it should favour family visas - you family applicants certainly deserve a break.

Oh VickyMel you are definitely giving me hope now. You don't by any chance have a link to that agent's post (don't worry if you don't, it you're anything like me you are reading so much stuff it's coming out of your ears)? Allan Collet posted the link to the projected allocations which included the 3,500 for us fam spons but I sincerely hope you're right about us being generally included in cat 3.

I think you're Cat 2 now? And heading to Vic? Hopefully you'll hear something positive soon. I seem to remember you've had quite a long wait. We also hope to end up in Melbourne as I've got 2 sisters, aunty/ uncle and cousins there but to be honest I think we'd go anywhere in Aus initially if there were jobs for us!

Good luck and thanks again for keeping the hopeful fires burning!

Guest VickyMel

Hi

Gosh I hope I haven't got your hopes up when I shouldn't have?

I'm assuming for a family visa applicant to be in the Cat 3 they would have to have an occupation on the SOL. You could maybe send DIAC a PLE and ask them to confirm that given you have an occupation on SOL are you are being considered as priority 3 - then you would know for sure.

I really don't know as it really is just something that went through my mind when reading your post.

This was the link

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/96651-state-migration-plans-planning-levels.html#post875252

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/98286-state-migration-plans-act-victoria-going-live-together.html#post894793

Yep hoping I am in Cat 2 - but given all th ecahnges over the last couple of years I have been in high priority, then middle, then the bottom and I will not be sure of anything until I have a visa in my hands. The way thing have been going I could easily be down at the bottom again in a few months.

Hi

Gosh I hope I haven't got your hopes up when I shouldn't have?

I'm assuming for a family visa applicant to be in the Cat 3 they would have to have an occupation on the SOL. You could maybe send DIAC a PLE and ask them to confirm that given you have an occupation on SOL are you are being considered as priority 3 - then you would know for sure.

I really don't know as it really is just something that went through my mind when reading your post.

This was the link

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/96651-state-migration-plans-planning-levels.html#post875252

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/98286-state-migration-plans-act-victoria-going-live-together.html#post894793

Yep hoping I am in Cat 2 - but given all th ecahnges over the last couple of years I have been in high priority, then middle, then the bottom and I will not be sure of anything until I have a visa in my hands. The way thing have been going I could easily be down at the bottom again in a few months.

Hi VickyMel, don't worry I'm used to the roller coaster of emotions! And we're in the early stages compared to some on here ...

Reading over the info in those links you kindly sent, I think that we would be considered within the quota of 3,500 for family sponsored but at least we are in Cat 3. I mean this discussion with you has helped me to understand that the Cat 1 & 2 won't have any family sponsored applicants (doh! I'm a bit slow you see) so being in Cat 3 on the SOL is an advantage.

So, thanks for that. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find yourself in Cat 2 shortly. All the best, x

Hi All,

Hey Bluecatcollectables,

Thanks for being optimistic. I do not know what made you to believe that Category 4 Family Sponsored. It sounds good. But it is not true. Category 4 Family Sponsored will never be processed. This category is specially made to be capped and ceased. I agree with Rahul. We are onto this roller coaster for last 39 months. We were made to beleive that Family Sponsored applicants without any priority will be ever processed. So I do not know what made you to believe this that this category will be ever processed. These are your assumptions which are far from truth.

But I believe this would be true because that's what we are doing for last 39 months of waiting.

Hi Virtual,

There have been a lot of changes recently, as we all know. I also believe there to be quite a few people in CAT 4, as they have shrunk the SOL to such a large extent and a lot of people would not be able to simply map their occupation onto this list. As to the cap and cease, can you imagine the Oz government wanting to give all this application money back? I can't see this, as it does not make economic sense. I firmly believe that now things are moving again, that they will try to clear the backlog. Being Family Sponsored must account for more than being independent and in Cat 4 (appologies to all of you who this affects), as we come under the 'sponsored' category. Naturally, if I had my way, all backlogs would be at least assigned a CO. But if you do the maths, there are now less people applying, it has got to be thus, as the SOL has been skimmed down to such an extent. I did my maths, which may be of course wrong, but when I applied a Family sponsored visa was estimated to take between 9-12 months. So the changes ref priority which came in were in September 2009. This would mean that anyone applying for Family sponsored dating September 2008 would at least have been processed. If not, why not?? There may have been small changes, but surely the biggest change was the priority processing, with the Critical Skills lists etc. Before that it was first come, first served surely. Comments welcome. I know I am an optimist, but you have to be to migrate to another country. You have to have a 'can do' attitude, despite how difficult the situation, otherwise you will become very, very miserable. Being in this queue myself since December 2008, I know what I'm talking about. Fingers crossed now for better news! Come on DIAC - keep up assigning COs and Grants!

Hi Virtual,

There have been a lot of changes recently, as we all know. I also believe there to be quite a few people in CAT 4, as they have shrunk the SOL to such a large extent and a lot of people would not be able to simply map their occupation onto this list. As to the cap and cease, can you imagine the Oz government wanting to give all this application money back? I can't see this, as it does not make economic sense. I firmly believe that now things are moving again, that they will try to clear the backlog. Being Family Sponsored must account for more than being independent and in Cat 4 (appologies to all of you who this affects), as we come under the 'sponsored' category. Naturally, if I had my way, all backlogs would be at least assigned a CO. But if you do the maths, there are now less people applying, it has got to be thus, as the SOL has been skimmed down to such an extent. I did my maths, which may be of course wrong, but when I applied a Family sponsored visa was estimated to take between 9-12 months. So the changes ref priority which came in were in September 2009. This would mean that anyone applying for Family sponsored dating September 2008 would at least have been processed. If not, why not?? There may have been small changes, but surely the biggest change was the priority processing, with the Critical Skills lists etc. Before that it was first come, first served surely. Comments welcome. I know I am an optimist, but you have to be to migrate to another country. You have to have a 'can do' attitude, despite how difficult the situation, otherwise you will become very, very miserable. Being in this queue myself since December 2008, I know what I'm talking about. Fingers crossed now for better news! Come on DIAC - keep up assigning COs and Grants!

You can be as optimistic as you want and I hope things work out for you. But what Virtual Bajwa is telling u is supported by our experience with DIAC and the labor party minister since 2007. They have consistently tried to axe and prune the applicants as they deemed fit and also capped and ceased a large block of preSeptember 2007 applicants. While legally they could not do the same with family sponsored 496 preSeptember 2007 applicants they were trying to get an act passed by parliament which would have given the minister powers to cap and cease applicants as they deemed fit. There is no guarantee that the new minister will not try the same thing to deal with the backlog and finish of the applicants they do not want and return the money. If something else comes up which runs to the contrary of what me and Virtual Bajwa expect we would be the ones extremely pleased but at least I do not expect any decent outcome for cat 4 applicants who are not being processed.

Hi Virtual Bajwa so what happens to someone like me in Cat 4 I first lodged 175 in Nov 08 and the occupation was on the MODL this being 2 years ago then went for a State Sponsor as occupation was on QLD list to speed up things this i got Dec 09.

Regards Tania

Hey Tania,

Wait for the Qeensland SMP or your application will also be axed..(Capped and Ceased)...

Hi Virtual,

Keep you mathematical skills going. Hope some day this will work. I will be the first person to be benefited, if your mathematical skills go right.

Hey Tania,

Wait for the Qeensland SMP or your application will also be axed..(Capped and Ceased)...

Hi My occupation (Fitter) will not be on the SMP as QLD informed me but i do know its on the regional but not an option for us as we want PR , so what you are saying all those not on the SMP or the SOL will be Axed! does anyone else support this.

Regards Tania

yes, don't give up hope. I actually think that Australia has made a big mistake in cutting immigration down like this. A lot of Economists are already voicing their opinions on this. Australia needs migrants to keep the economy prosperous. Let us see what will happen with this argument. Don't forget also that new would-be applicants might also be put off by the very high house prices over in oz and the terrible exchange rate. And these are important matters to consider when thinking of migration. A lot of people simply want a better life, not putting themselves in a worse position!

Hey Tania. Don't worry too much about this capping and ceasing. I believe that there will be considerably less applicants lodging new applications, thus giving the Case Officers more time to sort out the backlog, and this includes Cat 4.

If you think about it, it kinda makes sense. Anyway, I believe this forum is a very good place to keep our spirits up and help each other through these rather trying times. Keep thinking positive and good things will happen, that's my motto anyway.

Hey Tania. Don't worry too much about this capping and ceasing. I believe that there will be considerably less applicants lodging new applications, thus giving the Case Officers more time to sort out the backlog, and this includes Cat 4.

If you think about it, it kinda makes sense. Anyway, I believe this forum is a very good place to keep our spirits up and help each other through these rather trying times. Keep thinking positive and good things will happen, that's my motto anyway.

I believe the same as you as it's not as easy to meet the requirements and now you don't get points for being on the SOL also to cap and cease all Cat 4 would be allot of refunds don't you think, I also think they will make changes again in the future as since I lodged 2 years ago I am sure at least every 3 months or so they would change things, and yes being positive!! is the best way to be.

Archived