Bank Account

sneeze100

Been granted my visa will leave in may hopefully my question is this when can I open a bank account is there a time period before I enter australia and one final random question chucked in for good measure how do I go about getting a tax number I would apreciate any help.

Guest Guest31881

Most Australian banks have a facility to open on line before you arrive, I know the NAB do and i think ANZ do as well. Your TFN (tax file number) you can apply on line once you arrive, takes a few seconds to apply and sent out by post.

Westpac also let you set up an account beforehand. I seem the remember there was a bit of paperwork that had to be certified by a UK bank which turned into a pain, but other than that it was OK. I would suggest may be doing it a month or two beforehand unless you really need it sooner.

See www.westpac.com.au/migrantbanking

and Start banking with Australia's first bank. - Westpac

I had a TFN from a WHV in the 90s so can't help on that front - my experience involved standing in a hot ATO office for a few hours. Sounds much simpler these days.

Good luck!

We were at an Emigrate show and opened an ANZ account there, and just activated it when we got here. If you contact one of the banks in London (if in the UK) they'll prob be able to help you. Make sure you ask about account fees. Ours was waived for 12months on opening. ($5 a month) or waived if you get a morgage with them. NAB I think has accounts that are fee-free. I think these are stated online, unsure if you can apply outside the country on-line.

Guest Guest31881

Most Banks will drop any charges if you challenge them, I am with ANZ and it was a $5 a month charge. I simply asked them if they wanted my business or should I move to another bank, The charges were removed and its never been mentioned again.

Most Banks will drop any charges if you challenge them, I am with ANZ and it was a $5 a month charge. I simply asked them if they wanted my business or should I move to another bank, The charges were removed and its never been mentioned again.

Yes - you have to bargain/haggle here. Even on mortgage interest rates.

I opened a WestPac account before moving over here, I had a Barclays account and they have a relationship with WestPac. it was a very simple process. I would suggest talking to your existing bank to see if they are in partnership with a local bank here.

Can I just ask, did you do this in person, or over the phone?

Thanks

Guest Guest31881

I popped into my local branch, there is always someone who will talk to you at a private desk. I said how much trouble is it to close the account, because i do not like paying fees when other banks will run my account free, and you want $5 a month, so if you want to charge me i will have to change banks.

Guest The Pom Queen
We were at an Emigrate show and opened an ANZ account there, and just activated it when we got here. If you contact one of the banks in London (if in the UK) they'll prob be able to help you. Make sure you ask about account fees. Ours was waived for 12months on opening. ($5 a month) or waived if you get a morgage with them. NAB I think has accounts that are fee-free. I think these are stated online, unsure if you can apply outside the country on-line.

Yes you can open a NAB account from the UK, one thing I like about the NAB accounts is that not only do you have no monthly fee, if you sign up before you leave the UK your cards will be waiting for you when you arrive. They really go out of their way to offer that personal touch. I have also clients who use Westpac which is ok although there are the fees and you have to wait 5 working days for your cards to arrive once you get here which can be a pain especially if you are in temp accommodation.

Guest Nigel at NAB

Hi

You can apply for an account up to one year before you arrive in Australia with nab and although I am a little bias it's pretty simple. It's also personal as we provide all our customers with a personal named banker. We also feel that the products we offer are market leading with no monthly account fees on our Classic Banking account and the ability to transfer funds directly into our online savings account NAB iSaver where you will earn competitive interest.

As per other comments you need to apply for you TFN when you arrive in Australia via the ato site Australian Taxation Office Homepage

For info on the nab offering please feel free to visit http://www.nab.com.au/movingtoaustralia.

Warm regards

Nigel

Archived