Long stay tourist visa in the meantime?

nickyc88

Hi,

We're contemplating heading over to Oz before our visa arrives. We want to travel around for a few months before we settle down and get jobs. My OH is worried that we won't get a long stay tourist visa if we're in the queue for a 176. Will this be an issue?! I know that once our visa arrives we'll have to leave the country and reenter in order to activate our visas.

Cheers,

Nicky :biggrin:

Hi Nicky

I read somewhere on DIAC site that you have to be outside australia when 176 visa granted.

I don't think you are long away from getting your visa if they have requested Meds & PCC. I would sit tight if I were you and just go when you get your visa.

I will have a look to see if I can find the info I found and post. Sure someone else will be along soon though to confirm if what I said is right or not.

Ta

claire

Here it is:

Application and grant of offshore visas

You should inform the department if you travel (either to Australia or from Australia)

during processing of your application. This is because your application may be refused if

you are in the ‘wrong place’ when a decision is made.

If you are applying for an Offshore General Skilled visa, you must be outside of Australia

when the visa is granted except if you are a New Zealand citizen and you hold a Special

Category (subclass 444) visa, in which case you and all secondary applicants included in

your application, may be in or outside Australia at the time a decision is made on your

application.

I got this from Page 44 of this booklet on their website --- > http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf

So actually you may be able to go but you definitely have to let them know you are there.

Good luck

Claire

Archived