For anyone coming to Sydney

Guest LongwayDown

And it will get more expensive.

In 1974 my friend was ecstatic that his house in one of the inner suburbs of Sydney, sold for $125,000...The average house price was about $40,000 throughout the rest of Australia.

Lots of people have been cashing in on the Sydney market for many years, selling their homes and buying out in the country towns at less than a quarter the price they sold for.

At the same time, 1974, petrol was 35 cents/litre.

Cheers, Bobj.

Yes,let's be honest,OZ is now a very expensive place to live,but there are ways to get by comfortably,if you use your loaf,just like anywhere else in the World.Never dive in and buy anything,thinking that's the price you pay here,as there is always someone who can beat that price,often by a huge margin,just look around!:yes:

Sydney's rising house prices and rents

This might be of use for some. Make sure you bring plenty of money!!

That's exactly why we have changed our move from Sydney to Brisbane!!! :yes:

For the same price of a small and old 2 bedroom flat 30km from CBD Sydney we will be renting a nice 3 bedroom house with a garage and garden 30km from Brisbane :)

Cheers

B!K3R

Guest Locksley

The newspaper article about $100,000 apartments is a joke.

Most of us would not want to live anywhere near the majority of those suburbs mentioned.

And property investors are why a lot of people in lower income brackets cannot afford to buy a house. Real estate agents have convinced those people that an avearge house is over $400,000 in decent Sydney suburbs.

The investors buy the properties and then charge top dollar for rent, wanting the renter to pay off the mortgage.

Every real estate agent you meet seems to think people only want to buy a house to make a profit.

I know people who desperatly just want a nice house in a nice suburb they can call their own and live in forever...but they cannot afford the monthly mortgage repayments, they just don't earn enough money.

They keep getting told they should widen their options to look at suburbs out west...the heart of darkness as far as a lot of us are concerned.

I'd sooner live in the Congo than Auburn, Parra or Blacktown.

Guest smileykylie

They keep getting told they should widen their options to look at suburbs out west...the heart of darkness as far as a lot of us are concerned.

I'd sooner live in the Congo than Auburn, Parra or Blacktown.

Not all of us are feel this way. There are those of us who have happily lived and grown up in the 'heart of darkness' to be educated and productive members of society - there is good and bad in most suburbs. Being from the west myself (we only recently moved up the mountains) near everyone I know is from the west (Blacktown, Seven Hills, Penrith etc) and they are lovely people who are just the same as most - honest hardworking people who are trying to build lives for their families. Please do not tar all people from the west with the same brush - it is not helpful and perpetuates the stereotypes that obviously extend further than I thought.

It is also amusing that some people on here may be considered to be from less desirable parts of the UK and see coming here as a step up the social ladder and suddenly become quite snobby about places that are similar to where they are from - just an observation.

Archived