Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

I have a slightly strange question. I have a 2009 Kawasaki ninja bought new but never used. This has been available for us to use if needed but we never needed to. Would we have any chance of bringing it in with us.

Cheers steve

Only if it is currently registered for road use, as they will ask for the V5C as part of the documentation.

Send me a private message about this one and I will explain what needs to be done.

Just a note on import permits I applied 27th January and received the permit today which was approved 10/02/16

My permit though is for an Australian plated vehicle originally taken from Oz to UK to return to Australia

They did only email the pink form and said they will send hard copy of a blue and white form to an address in Australia -luckily my family are all there so have such an address

I did think though what if it was a new immigrant with no Ausssie address what happens then?

Only if it is currently registered for road use, as they will ask for the V5C as part of the documentation.

Yes bike is fully registered. Bought new for wife but she never took test with one thing or another. So it has just sat in garage sorn after first years tax ran out.

I mi am also considering bringing my car which is a freelander 2 SE TECH. It will be about 5 years old by the time we get there so just trying to work it if it's worth buying at end of PCP in 18 months or not.

Any my ideas would be much appreciated. We have decided prob not worth bringing wife's car as its a seat leon and doesn't appear to be available out there.

Cheers steve

Yes bike is fully registered. Bought new for wife but she never took test with one thing or another. So it has just sat in garage sorn after first years tax ran out.

I mi am also considering bringing my car which is a freelander 2 SE TECH. It will be about 5 years old by the time we get there so just trying to work it if it's worth buying at end of PCP in 18 months or not.

Any my ideas would be much appreciated. We have decided prob not worth bringing wife's car as its a seat leon and doesn't appear to be available out there.

Cheers steve

If the bike is registered, you'll be fine. The Land Rover is worth considering, for sure. Leave the Seat behind though ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi What's you opinion on having a wheel alignment before the or car leaves the UK We are taking a Holden Captiva back to Adelaide and it will need to be checked to register it again Looking at new tyres in the UK as they are cheaper but thinking if we get a wheel alignment would it after being shipped possibly need another wheel alignment after it's been on board ?

Hi What's you opinion on having a wheel alignment before the or car leaves the UK We are taking a Holden Captiva back to Adelaide and it will need to be checked to register it again Looking at new tyres in the UK as they are cheaper but thinking if we get a wheel alignment would it after being shipped possibly need another wheel alignment after it's been on board ?

Definitely do the tyres in the UK, especially if you want more expensive brands like Michelin or Pirelli, but leave the wheel alignment until you get it to Adelaide. They barely get driven during shipping, so even if the alignment is out, it won't be much of an issue. Congrats on picking the best city in Australia ;)

Definitely do the tyres in the UK, especially if you want more expensive brands like Michelin or Pirelli, but leave the wheel alignment until you get it to Adelaide. They barely get driven during shipping, so even if the alignment is out, it won't be much of an issue. Congrats on picking the best city in Australia ;)

Thinking Hankook can get them for 125 quid fitted and wheel balance it has Hankook on paid 355 aud in 2013

We ' belong ' Adelaide we returned to the UK in 2013 to retire but miss family and place so hey ho it's off we go

we have the import permit for the car to come back and will get a permit to get wheels aligned and into Regency hopefully will be fine

Thinking Hankook can get them for 125 quid fitted and wheel balance it has Hankook on paid 355 aud in 2013

We ' belong ' Adelaide we returned to the UK in 2013 to retire but miss family and place so hey ho it's off we go

we have the import permit for the car to come back and will get a permit to get wheels aligned and into Regency hopefully will be fine

It's not quite as simple as rolling into Regency with your papers in your hand, you need to get a statement of requirements from them and go through all the checklist with a mechanic then have a tier 2 inspection (unless you had the car here and took it with you to the UK, in which case, no dramas).

It's not quite as simple as rolling into Regency with your papers in your hand, you need to get a statement of requirements from them and go through all the checklist with a mechanic then have a tier 2 inspection (unless you had the car here and took it with you to the UK, in which case, no dramas).

It's a Holden Captiva LX we owned in Adelaide brought to the uk in late 2013 and will now bring back We figure the cost of bringing back both car and furniture outweighs buying another car in Oz So should it just be a simple matter of it being checked at Regency and then registered Have allreasy contacted Service SA and they said I need a permit to drive it from shippers to Regency I know there is a test centre at Lonsdale could they do the test seeing as it's an Australian approved car anyways

It's a Holden Captiva LX we owned in Adelaide brought to the uk in late 2013 and will now bring back We figure the cost of bringing back both car and furniture outweighs buying another car in Oz So should it just be a simple matter of it being checked at Regency and then registered Have allreasy contacted Service SA and they said I need a permit to drive it from shippers to Regency I know there is a test centre at Lonsdale could they do the test seeing as it's an Australian approved car anyways

If it has already been registered and you still have the old papers and number plates, you don't even need to do an ID check - just re-register it online and away you go :)

Hi Iron Chef,

Had a quote to bring 2 cars over for £4000 approx. Value in UK is £20,000 for the both, in Oz probably $80,000 for the equivalent.

Looking at your breakdown of taxes, I've worked out that it would cost about £12,000 to ship them. Seems a lot but they seem expensive out there.

I can't decide!

its a 2013 VW Passat Wagon Sport diesel 2L, 36000 miles

and 2011 VW Golf Cabriolet 1.4 TS petrol 35,000 miles

Any thoughts?

Hi Iron Chef,

Had a quote to bring 2 cars over for £4000 approx. Value in UK is £20,000 for the both, in Oz probably $80,000 for the equivalent.

Looking at your breakdown of taxes, I've worked out that it would cost about £12,000 to ship them. Seems a lot but they seem expensive out there.

I can't decide!

its a 2013 VW Passat Wagon Sport diesel 2L, 36000 miles

and 2011 VW Golf Cabriolet 1.4 TS petrol 35,000 miles

Any thoughts?

Feel free to email us for a breakdown of costs, but they fall into the right range for being category B cars.

Hi Iron Chef. I've been having a little read through all your posts about importing cars. My parents are currently in the long wait for their 143 visa, and are hoping to bring across a 1964 MGB car with them. It is currently being restored, but should be up and running again soon. Do you think it will be worth importing this car, and is it a costly process? Also, does the car need to be registered currently? Thanks for any help :cute:

Hi Iron Chef. I've been having a little read through all your posts about importing cars. My parents are currently in the long wait for their 143 visa, and are hoping to bring across a 1964 MGB car with them. It is currently being restored, but should be up and running again soon. Do you think it will be worth importing this car, and is it a costly process? Also, does the car need to be registered currently? Thanks for any help :cute:

1) Definitely worth bringing

2) Jump on the website for a quote (see my signature)

3) In the case of this car, it doesn't need to be currently registered

Thanks Iron Chef - I'll chat to my Dad and get him to get in touch with you. I'm very relieved that it doesn't need to be registered - it would be very sad not to be able to bring this car across as it has great sentimental value!

The chance to do an evening drive by the sea with the top down will make it all worth while!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Iron Chef,

I just send you an email for enquiry, I will be moving from Hong Kong to Melbourne later this year and would like to bring over both cars:

94 acura nsx AT with 25,000km owned since 2010

92 eunos roadster v-spec MT with 150,000km owned since 2003

Since both cars under my name and I have transferred the roadster into wife's name on Dec 2015, however we are considering to move there a bit earlier which means a few months shortage for my wife's ownership...would you think that would be a problem?

I know the roadster may not worth the expense to bring it, mostly are the sentimental issue and I have done too much of work on it by myself so I don't want to leave it...

Please advise the cost break down and the procedures in order to make fun of it over there.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Iron Chef,

I just send you an email for enquiry, I will be moving from Hong Kong to Melbourne later this year and would like to bring over both cars:

94 acura nsx AT with 25,000km owned since 2010

92 eunos roadster v-spec MT with 150,000km owned since 2003

Since both cars under my name and I have transferred the roadster into wife's name on Dec 2015, however we are considering to move there a bit earlier which means a few months shortage for my wife's ownership...would you think that would be a problem?

I know the roadster may not worth the expense to bring it, mostly are the sentimental issue and I have done too much of work on it by myself so I don't want to leave it...

Please advise the cost break down and the procedures in order to make fun of it over there.

Cheers

Alan

Welcome to the forums Alan! I'll go into more detail in the email, but no problems getting both of them over for you.

• 4 weeks later...
We are in the middle of waiting for my husband's partner visa. He want to take his 8 yr old Volvo with him. It is not worth much here but it is to him as he has only done 35,000 miles. What are the pros/cons. It is confusing

With such low mileage it's possibly worth considering if you plan to keep it for a while. Email me via the website (below) for a quote so you at least know what you're up for in terms of costs.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Marc Kirsten

I have a 2013 Audi R8 V10 Plus and I was wondering if this would be worth taking into Australia. Considering the duty, GST and the LCT I would assume (depending on the customs value) this would add up quite quickly. I assume it wouldn't need any major modifications to meet OZ standards.

thanks

Marc

I have a 2013 Audi R8 V10 Plus and I was wondering if this would be worth taking into Australia. Considering the duty, GST and the LCT I would assume (depending on the customs value) this would add up quite quickly. I assume it wouldn't need any major modifications to meet OZ standards.

thanks

Marc

Hi Marc, definitely worth bringing over. Aside from the fact that you'll get whalloped on depreciation if you sold it in the UK now, you should still end up well in front if you import it, even after paying the taxes on arrival in Australia (compared to buying the same car here).