Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

Guest Jersey Couple

Hi All

First of all thanks for the replies, any info is appreciated.

I read the original post re the documentation needed and I can provided that no problem at all for our Subaru. I also noted the tax.

So its 10% import tax on a value of £5k (or is it Aus value $16 - $18k)

Then 5% Stamp on the estimated Aus value ($16k - 18k)

What are the additonal costs on top of that, and rego, further stamp duty, inspection charges

Thanks

Rob

Hi Iron Chef,

Thanks for starting this very informative thread.

we plan to move over early in 2011 and have been wondering if we should bring over our car as we would only get about €8000 for it here in Ireland.

We have owned it since new,Its a VW Passat 2006 I.6FSI manual gear box, it only has 55KM on the clock so seems a shame to sell it so low.

I had a look at red book and i see that passat's are sold in oz but they seem to start at a 2Lt engine and all seem to be automatic, do you think its worth bringing.

If so have i got this right its 15% in taxes of the value of the car which on a 2Lt auto(nearest i could find) is about $20,000 so about $3,000 in charges plus shipping costs.

Thanks a mill,

Maria.

Hi All

First of all thanks for the replies, any info is appreciated.

I read the original post re the documentation needed and I can provided that no problem at all for our Subaru. I also noted the tax.

So its 10% import tax on a value of £5k (or is it Aus value $16 - $18k)

Then 5% Stamp on the estimated Aus value ($16k - 18k)

What are the additonal costs on top of that, and rego, further stamp duty, inspection charges

Thanks

Rob

You just reminded me - the customs value of your car is determined in Australia by an authorised vehicle valuer. Please note that the Customs Value is NOT market value.

What the valuer will generally do is take into account the purchase cost, depreciate the vehicle over how many years you've owned it, then reduce the value further to account for the fact that - in the eyes of the general public (not enthusiasts) - a personally imported vehicle would be considered worth less than one that's locally delivered.

Hi Iron Chef,

Thanks for starting this very informative thread.

we plan to move over early in 2011 and have been wondering if we should bring over our car as we would only get about €8000 for it here in Ireland.

We have owned it since new,Its a VW Passat 2006 I.6FSI manual gear box, it only has 55KM on the clock so seems a shame to sell it so low.

I had a look at red book and i see that passat's are sold in oz but they seem to start at a 2Lt engine and all seem to be automatic, do you think its worth bringing.

If so have i got this right its 15% in taxes of the value of the car which on a 2Lt auto(nearest i could find) is about $20,000 so about $3,000 in charges plus shipping costs.

Thanks a mill,

Maria.

Hi Maria, because of the engine size as much as anything else, I wouldn't advise bringing it over. I would've thought €8000 wasn't too bad. I suspect you'd be better off selling it and taking the loss, then getting another one over here.

Hi

I was after someone to sort out all the paperwork to import my car and bike apart from the import licences. I have applied for them already but need all the other bits sorted out in Brisbane, any recommendations?

Thanks

Michael

Please PM me

does the car after be in the name of the main visa applicant ?

In 99% of cases yes - like I said before, in some circumstances they allow a husband and wife combo to have a car registered in, for example, the husband's name while the wife applies for it in her name, seeing she has been the main driver of the car.

Guest allieanddermo

Hi Iron Chef,

just wondering do you know anything about importing a motor-home into Australia.

Its a 1999 LHD Fiat Ducato 7 Sleeper.

Looking on different websites they seem very expensive to buy over there and its rare to find anything

that sleeps more than 4.

Any information would be great...

Thanks

Allie

Hi Iron Chef,

just wondering do you know anything about importing a motor-home into Australia.

Its a 1999 LHD Fiat Ducato 7 Sleeper.

Looking on different websites they seem very expensive to buy over there and its rare to find anything

that sleeps more than 4.

Any information would be great...

Thanks

Allie

Hi Allie - if it were RHD, I'd say do it, but a LHD camber would have to be converted to RHD before it could be registered here. Not worth it.

There are cheaper ways to get campers than retail, I do them in reasonable numbers ex-Japan, a lot of people will actually import Toyota Coasters then get them fitted out as a camper to their specs once they get here.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice in this thread. I'm just in the process of shipping my car from the Uk to Melbourne.

Can anyone recommend an insurace company who can provide temporary cover for approx 1 month while the car is unresitered and being driven to roadworthy tests etc ?

Guest kingofthedesert

A huge thanks to IronChef for all your valuable info..b4 i thought of arriving into WA with my clothes

and my classic..sans paperwork, now i know theres much more to it! If u don t mind i have 3 q.

1. do i need to pay any customs duty, sales tax etc

2. does the car need to be roadlegal while its o/seas such as insurance,road tax?

3. its got r12 now but i can retrofit r134a. should i bother?

many thanks in advance for your input and pls accept my gratitude for your answers elsewhere and

links as well.

desertking

sorry i edited later. car is 1974 alfa romeo coupe

You caught me online!

In order:

1. Yes, all cars coming into the country are subject to 5% Stamp Duty on the value of the car (not market value, customs value, which is lower) + shipping costs, then 10% GST on the value of the car + shipping costs + stamp duty (yes you actually pay a tax on a tax).

2. Not really, no, although DIT may ask for some kind of proof that the car isn't stolen when you apply for the import approval, in which case old registration documents can be handy to have.

3. Nope, just degas it and regas it with R134a once it's here.

Guest kingofthedesert
You caught me online!

In order:

1. Yes, all cars coming into the country are subject to 5% Stamp Duty on the value of the car (not market value, customs value, which is lower) + shipping costs, then 10% GST on the value of the car + shipping costs + stamp duty (yes you actually pay a tax on a tax).

2. Not really, no, although DIT may ask for some kind of proof that the car isn't stolen when you apply for the import approval, in which case old registration documents can be handy to have.

3. Nope, just degas it and regas it with R134a once it's here.

Ironchef, thanx a whole bunch & have a nice & safe xmas ahead.

Guest Scottish84

Some good useful information here.

I'm currently in Brisbane on a 457 visa and didn't plan to take my car over with me however i've had virtually no interest in selling my car in the UK despite it having low mileage and being in very good condition. Garages are now selling the same car for less than 10k so i reckon i'd be lucky to get 9k at most for the car. Also with the pound being so weak the money i make on the sale and transfer over here really won't go too far on a car in Brissie.

The same car is selling in OZ for somewhere between 25-32k from what i've researched and so it seems almost worth importing the car.

My Car is a Honda Civic Type R GT late 2007 model. The same car can be bought in OZ and is actually built in the UK so there shouldn't be any difference in the build.

Only question i have is about the safety fixings for child seats. I read somewhere that Australia does not recognise the ISOFIX on cars and you have to fit something else instead. Can anyone confirm if this is still true?? Or is it only in some states?

Guest Scottish84

Thanks for the fast response.

I figured it would make sense as i believe there are not too many Type Rs over here and Honda have announced they are stopping production of them in Europe due to strict new car emissions rules. I think that may go some way to explaining the drop in UK price at the moment.

Iron Chef, I think i remember reading that you were based in Brissie? I have your email address and will make contact to get some quotes from you as i've heard many positives about your service.

I know importing on a 457 is not so clear cut, however, i have the aussie bank account, private medical insurance, Aussie drivers licence. Only things i can't provide evidence on are the electricity bills and lease as it's taken out under my mates name. From what i can see on the import forms, the more evidence the better but it also says that evidence from each source is not required.

I'm based in Adelaide, but I handle cars Australia-wide. I have people in Brisbane who can get your car ready for registration without any problems.

With the evidence, they have a 100-point system they use to meet the requirements for showing you're legitimately moving here, so feel free to submit it if you've already reached 12 months of ownership - they will come back to you if they need more info.

Guest Scottish84

Ok Thanks Iron Chef.

Already over here in OZ now so will have to get my old man to organise the UK side of things. From what i hear the cheapest way to transport is RORO. Doubt they do RORO from anywhere in Scotland so i guess deperature point would have to be Southampton.

I did notice the 100 point system on the forms and i have over 100 points where required so i should be ok on that front.

Iron chef Thanks for all the info

Can you tell me how someone who has just received visa can attain 100 points.

I have shipping quotes but no definitive agreement yet. I meet ownership and insurance criteria.

Plan to move to Melbourne in June 2011.

Also what do you think of the resale of 1991 Nissan Figaro in Aus

If you have a look at the application document (see the link in the first post of this thread), you'll see the documentation they're looking for with point values alongside them. Don't get me started on how ridiculous I think it all is!

There are a small number of Figaros here in Australia, but they sell for pretty good money, so yes it's worth bringing it over.

Really helpful post Iron Chef...

It got me to register so I could ask your thoughts on my situation. I'm coming over in mid Jan and like Scottish84 my car is not seeing any interest right now. Its a BMW 2005 E90 330i, with loads of extras (leather, auto, satnav, xenon lights, bluetooth, etc) and 68000 miles. However I'd be lucky to get £8-9k over here whereas I see they go for around $40000 private in Sydney, where I'll be heading.

Is this a no-brainer to bring it across? FYI I am on a 457 visa but my wife and 2 yr old daughter are Aus citizens, although car only registered in my name. Also I will be getting LAFHA so wouldn't want to jeapordise that. Reading through your advice the hard part seems to be how I prove that I will become PR.

If its worthwhile then is it much hassle if I have to do it all after I arrive? I haven't applied for anything yet although it being the holidays that probably doesn't matter. I could leave it with my parents so at least I don't have to worry about that.

Thanks!

Hi mate, there's no problems applying for it after you leave - in fact many people HAVE to do it in order to get the paperwork they need to bring it in. You have six months from the time you arrive to send off your application, but given how notoriously slow DIT are, I'd advise submitting it as soon as possible.

And yes, I'd definitely bring it over. Man I'd kill for a 330 at £8-9K...if you feel like selling to me for what it owes you to bring it into Australia + £10K let me know (insert evil laugh...).

And DIT aren't back till Jan 4, so there's no urgency, although I'd advise sorting as much paperwork as possible before you leave.

As a general rule, government departments here don't talk to each other unless they have good reason to do so, and I suspect the DIT wouldn't give a rat's tossbag about it, but don't go using me as an expert when it comes to tax advice! That's why I have an accountant!

See if this is of any help - LAFHA Australia – Living Away From Home Allowance

Hi Ironchef-I have a Renault Megane Cabriolet, 2006 with 36K miles on the clock. UK secondhand price looks around 7-8K so I am tempted to take it with me but can't work out all the costs-the guy with the Porsche was quoting £14000! Would you think I could do it for less than £4000?