Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

Guest Guest67761

It's not common for approvals to be issued before the 12 months ownership criteria has been satisfied, and certainly do not expect that they will issue it sooner otherwise there is a good chance that you will be disappointed. The best advice would be to prepare a bulletproof application with all of the correct information, supporting documentation and a detailed cover letter and give it your best shot, however I would not normally suggest submitting an application sooner than about 11 months ownership unless you have seriously good reasons.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SkippyPilot

Hello all,

I started looking around the internet some months ago about shipping our Audi TT to Perth from the UK. At first I struggled to find anyone else with the same car and situation. So I thought I'd contribute my story and maybe it'll help someone.

Yesterday (27th Sep) we had our car (and household goods) loaded into a 40ft container and off it went to the dock to be shipped to Perth in Australia. Very strange situation walking back into the house when it's all gone.

Anyway, the first questions I wanted to know was-"is it worth it and can I do it?" I spent a lot of time working out the math and how it would work out if I sold in the UK or Oz. Then I found a couple of calculators online that helped with that. The best one I found was the Iron Lady Imports excel calc. I also contacted Craig at ILIs and asked the same question. Unfortunately we bought the car brand new so we took the hit on the depreciation so the calculator and Craig said it would break even- not making money but we would be better off taking it as we lose less if we sell it in Australia rather than the UK. We'd be losing about £1000 pounds if sold in Oz after all the costs of shipping it out to Oz. If we sold now in the UK we would be losing around £9000 so it was a no brainer. The car also has some sentimental value for my wife and I so we would be crazy not to take it

When I bought the car I had no idea we would be heading to Australia. In hindsight if I'd known we were heading to Oz I would have bought something else like a Porsche or higher spec car that isn't available in Oz.

After finding out if it's worth it I had to know if I could. This is where the scenario gets tricky. The car is registered in my wife's name but when we bought it she wasn't my wife. I'm an Australian citizen and the visa for my wife was not approved at time of export enquiry. We were also planning on leaving before the 12 month period was complete. With all this we thought there was little chance we would get export approval. The criteria states there must be evidence that you will be staying in Australia. i.e.: citizen, PR or work visa etc. My wife didn't have any of that. Of course I did as an Australian citizen but the car wasn't in my name. If we changed it to mine then we would have to wait another 12 months before we could export the car.

We decide to wait until we were married in June 2012 before applying which would make things easier.

So after the wedding once again I contacted Craig at ILIs and came up with a plan. I felt it was very worthwhile employing Craig to put the application together. As it turned out, if I had done it on my own with such a complicated scenario I doubt we would have got the approval. Craig put the application together and submitted in the way the DIT prefer. It was also submitted in a 'joint' kind of way. We said that although the car was in my wife's name I paid for the car and of course the car was solely for our use in the UK. I work overseas for six months of the year so that added another dimension to the situation. As it was work based it didn't count towards the 6 weeks they allow for personal trips out of the country.

Our departure date and the 12 month period was tight. In fact the car left yesterday which is about 2.5 weeks under 12 months ownership. The application though stated that due to work I had to leave the UK before the 12 month ownership period. We applied around the 18th August and I received the approval at my address in the UK on the 24th September, two days before the packers came...pheww, it was close. :err:

But really the case was complicated and the application had to go to the top of the DIT to be approved but they granted approval. Again I put this down to having Craig submit the application but also, Craig was able to check with the DIT to see how it was going. I believe he gave it 3 weeks before enquiring as the DIT need time to get through all the applications.

Knowing what I know now I should have applied earlier but I was concerned it was too early, long before the 12 month ownership period. I'm sure as it was 2.5 weeks until the 12 month ownership they applied some discretion to the the decision. So really, the guys at DIT are not so bad. :biggrin:

The next phase will be once it lands on the dock in Fremantle sometime around mid November 2012. i'm fortunate that the car is in the container with the household goods and is sole use so will be quicker than shared. Craig will be taking care of the customs and registration of the car once it gets there. I believe he has the best connections for the valuation process plus the compliance checks etc.

So I'll post again once that second phase is complete and will post the costs paid to get the car on the road in Perth, Western Australia. I've heard it's the most complicated state so we'll see how that goes.

Cost for the container? Well if I had shipped the car on it's own with the company we used it would have cost £1,265.

Current costs to date:

DIT Export Approval: AU$50

Iron Lady Imports fee: AU$990

Container: £1,265 (if it had gone on it's own but thankfully it went with the house goods so cheaper.

I hope my ramblings help someone. Now the waiting starts.

another question for Craig

Regarding the A/C degas- do we have to pay AU$400 for the pre-charged Equipment Licence?

Thanks

No you don't - personal importers meet the criteria for being given an exemption from getting a PCE licence, it's usually just a matter of supplying much of the same info you supply DIT for the import approval. Basically, if you've managed to get an import approval, you'll get an exemption from the PCE licence.

Hi Craig

We are planning to move to Perth in Late Jan 2013. I'd like to bring my Landcruiser LC3 which is 3 years old, in a great shape. I owe it for the last 1.5 years. I already filled form on ILI website but to-date not received any reply. Can you please help in this regard?

Thanks

Yasir

Hi Craig

We are planning to move to Perth in Late Jan 2013. I'd like to bring my Landcruiser LC3 which is 3 years old, in a great shape. I owe it for the last 1.5 years. I already filled form on ILI website but to-date not received any reply. Can you please help in this regard?

Thanks

Yasir

Sorry meant to say I 'own' it for 1.5 years.

Yasir

Guest Guest74865

If I were to ship my Car from the UK (ford focus), could there be problem when I come to sell the car? Are imported cars looked down upon by car dealerships and individual buyers?

Hi Craig

Thanks

Yasir

Hi Yasir, Craig is actually over in the UK at the moment, drumming up business for Iron Lady at the Down Under Live expos in Birmingham and London. The poor bugger is getting hit with a double whammy - no time to answer emails, and masses of new inquiries coming through. His current email tally stands at 29 new inquiries via the site, and another 80-odd direct to his email, and he still has this weekend to go! I'll jump on the website ones and give you some advice in the next few hours.

If I were to ship my Car from the UK (ford focus), could there be problem when I come to sell the car? Are imported cars looked down upon by car dealerships and individual buyers?

In the end it depends on the buyer, some might use it as a way of dropping the price a bit, some might put it in the too hard basket, some might not care at all. I suspect if you pitched it a few thousand dollars below what the local ones are asking, you won't have too much trouble selling it.

Hi Yasir, Craig is actually over in the UK at the moment, drumming up business for Iron Lady at the Down Under Live expos in Birmingham and London. The poor bugger is getting hit with a double whammy - no time to answer emails, and masses of new inquiries coming through. His current email tally stands at 29 new inquiries via the site, and another 80-odd direct to his email, and he still has this weekend to go! I'll jump on the website ones and give you some advice in the next few hours.

Looks like Craig still not free or managed to get through his messages.....lolz

Is he the only one who manages things in ILI or can anyone else answer my query? It's been a week since I posted my original inquiry. Import Oricle very kindly answered me many days ago but not heard again anything. Is everything ok??

Guest Robbiemat

New to this.

I'm importing my Audi A6 2006 from UK.it should be here soon. I can't do any of the paperwork till its on it's final journey from KL to Perth. B4 it gets here I know I need to pay Customs fees etc but Can I do the customs clearance and all other paperwork Myself???

And also can u suggest companies that will sort out the THC for me. My shipping company in UK got me a quote but was told I should find it cheaper paying for the TCH and other port charges this side? How much should this cost. I'm sure other people have asked b4 but didn't have time to read all post.

Cheers for anyone that can help me

My car was supposed to be on the boat this month so we could get it on the road in jan. I've only just found out Craig is in the Uk and he can't tell me if the import permit has been approved.

Can someone from ILI contact me ASAP please

Edited by ukchris

Guest peter11

Hi all

I am new to the forum. We have two cars to be taken to Australia. I am wondering if my wife could get an approval for her car with her provisional licence? or she needs the full licence?

peter11, I think you can only take 1 car per visa, unless you and your OH both have visa's of course. You also need to be able to show that you have been able to use the car whenever you wanted in the past 12 months, if your OH doesn't have a full DL I cant see how she can do this.

I may be wrong though!!

Really interested to see how the Audi gets on!

Just to say that we were also coming up against the 12 month rule. I bought a new car in December 2011, not expecting to emigrate for a few years. Unexpectedly Mom died in January and we were able to bring forward our plans. (my wife is Australian and I have a spouse visa). We wrote to the Transport Dept, explaining that we might be short of the 12 months rule when the car left here, but over it when landing in Perth and they were very helpful and fair and issued the permit allowing us to ship it anytime from October.

Apologies in advance for the epic post coming here...

hi iam on the understanding that because you owned the car for 12 months you no longer have to degas ??

i rang them up and asked too

check here

http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosphere/ozone/licences/vehicle-import.html

Nice post Iron Chef.

Cheers.

It's a little more convoluted than this but basically, if you've shipped personal effects (and have evidence to prove it) you won't need to get a personally imported car's air-con de-gassed. I might update the earlier posts to reflect this at some point.

Looks like Craig still not free or managed to get through his messages.....lolz

Is he the only one who manages things in ILI or can anyone else answer my query? It's been a week since I posted my original inquiry. Import Oricle very kindly answered me many days ago but not heard again anything. Is everything ok??

My apologies Yasir, I'm covering Craig's workload as well as my own till he gets back - I'll go through and try and answer as many quotes off the website as I can today :) He'll be back on deck tomorrow, currently in Dubai waiting to catch his next flight home.

New to this.

I'm importing my Audi A6 2006 from UK.it should be here soon. I can't do any of the paperwork till its on it's final journey from KL to Perth. B4 it gets here I know I need to pay Customs fees etc but Can I do the customs clearance and all other paperwork Myself???

And also can u suggest companies that will sort out the THC for me. My shipping company in UK got me a quote but was told I should find it cheaper paying for the TCH and other port charges this side? How much should this cost. I'm sure other people have asked b4 but didn't have time to read all post.

Cheers for anyone that can help me

1) what paperwork are you referring to? I seriously hope you're not referring to getting the import approval.

2) I would HIGHLY advise against doing the Customs clearance yourself. I've been doing this job since 1999 and even I rely on customs brokers, for a couple of hundred dollars it's very cheap insurance. Get it wrong and you will cop bills in the thousands.

3) The costs you are referring to is a 'how long is a piece of string" question.

4) I appreciate that you're trying to do things on the cheap, but if you don't have time to read through the reams of information already provided in this thread, how are you expecting to have enough knowledge to clear and register your own car? I really hope you have things in order if your car is about to land, but you've given all the signals of train wreck about to occur.

hi iron chef , do ya have the form for de gasing please

Hi Rich, it depends on the gas in the system already. Isn't it somewhere in the link you attached in your last post?

How long would it take to get our car on the road in Perth from the date of shipping.

In Perth, allow two weeks just to get the car off the docks, then another two weeks to get it registered. That's assuming everything runs like clockwork...

My car was supposed to be on the boat this month so we could get it on the road in jan. I've only just found out Craig is in the Uk and he can't tell me if the import permit has been approved.

Can someone from ILI contact me ASAP please

Chris, PM me your details and I will call Canberra to chase it up. Craig is back on deck tomorrow.

Hi all

I am new to the forum. We have two cars to be taken to Australia. I am wondering if my wife could get an approval for her car with her provisional licence? or she needs the full licence?

If she has the correct licence to drive the car, it doesn't matter if it is provisional or regular.

peter11, I think you can only take 1 car per visa, unless you and your OH both have visa's of course. You also need to be able to show that you have been able to use the car whenever you wanted in the past 12 months, if your OH doesn't have a full DL I cant see how she can do this.

I may be wrong though!!

^^That's all correct. If she gets her full licence before she applies for the import approval, that should remove any doubt. Even on a provisional licence, if she's legally allowed to drive the car, she'll be fine.

Really interested to see how the Audi gets on!

Just to say that we were also coming up against the 12 month rule. I bought a new car in December 2011, not expecting to emigrate for a few years. Unexpectedly Mom died in January and we were able to bring forward our plans. (my wife is Australian and I have a spouse visa). We wrote to the Transport Dept, explaining that we might be short of the 12 months rule when the car left here, but over it when landing in Perth and they were very helpful and fair and issued the permit allowing us to ship it anytime from October.

Wow that is VERY lucky! I suspect they've also budgeted for the fact that, by the time your actually lands in Australia, it will be pretty close to your twelve month ownership period. Either way, you've done very well with that. I might PM you at some stage to discuss it further.

Hi...thanks.....actually when I asked in March, you guys said they would not allow it.....and they did not put any restriction on the permit when issued in August......by the way I am still waiting for a reply to an e mail from over 2 weeks ago...I have re sent it...I am concerned about comments here from Craig about the time it takes for you to reply. That was my experience in March as well. We have 2 cars to send and I am about to entrust the first one to Robinsons and the second one will go in January....what are the benefits of using Iron Lady...or the pitfalls if I don't?

Edited by fosseboy
missed something off

Guest fishbulb23

HI

Looking at taking our 2006 ford galaxy 5 door 7 seater 1.9 TDI air con with 85,000 miles on the clock back to australia. Is it worth it?We are Australian citizens relocating from the UK.

Many Thanks

Iron Chief

My Import approval should have been sent back to yourselves, I have sent you a PM with all my details on it.

I am still waiting to be contacted!! Can someone please find the import approval what I have paid for and give it back to me, I think I should use a different shipping company as it does not look like my car will be going this October does it.

I am still waiting to be contacted!! Can someone please find the import approval what I have paid for and give it back to me, I think I should use a different shipping company as it does not look like my car will be going this October does it.

?? I sent you a response two days ago via PM on here?? Craig will email you this afternoon to arrange shipping, and yes, it will still go in October.

?? I sent you a response two days ago via PM on here?? Craig will email you this afternoon to arrange shipping, and yes, it will still go in October.

Sorry I have to book time from work, arrange a hire van and driver to follow me to the port (4 hours drive) etc. I need a little notice for these.