Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

iron chef, cheers for the advice

Ii am in the middle of exporting my car.Iit leaves in 2 weeks, 3 days before I do. I am keeping a diary of dates and costs which I will post on this thread when done so you can all see how pain(ful)/free it has been.

Ii am exporting from Taunton, UK to Perth, WA.

The customs bit doesnt worry me, getting it registered with all the inspections, etc fills me with dread

mark

I'd say it was the other way round. Inspections & registration was very simple as long as you have the paperwork to hand. The garage that does the inspection will know exactly what to do so nothing to worry about and will advise you and keep you in the loop. Customs processing is all waiting and wondering, no control at all.

Hi all, do any of you know how to gain the 100 points for importing a vehicle when not in OZ to apply for TFN and Medicare, we have a 1964 Lambretta owned since 2007.

We have the OZ bank account, Visa and obviously owned for more than 12 months, but not adding up to 100 points. ARGHHH we fly in June so I need to get this started, also do we have to send original log book over as proof or will photo copy do. Thanks Sharon

Ma son now wants tae bring his MK 1 fiesta 1.1? its a 1982 model? what ya think ? cheers stevie

If he has some completely inexplicable love for it, or can find someone here who does - aside from that, I would be struck by a bolt of lightning if I said there was even the slightest reason to consider bringing it over ;)

Hi all, do any of you know how to gain the 100 points for importing a vehicle when not in OZ to apply for TFN and Medicare, we have a 1964 Lambretta owned since 2007.

We have the OZ bank account, Visa and obviously owned for more than 12 months, but not adding up to 100 points. ARGHHH we fly in June so I need to get this started, also do we have to send original log book over as proof or will photo copy do. Thanks Sharon

If you're only bringing the Lambretta, you don't need to go through the personal import scheme at all - it can come in via the pre-1989 rule, dead easy, no ownership time limits or reams of documents to provide :)

Edited by Iron Chef
Spelling error!

Hi Iron Chef, what paperwork do we need to fill out for this. OH rubbish with paperwork so left to me. ARGHH. I just want to get it right 1st time. Sharon

If you're only bringing the Lambretta, you don't need to go through the personal import scheme at all - it can come in via the pre-1989 rule, dead easy, no ownership time limits or reams of documents to provide :)

Guest Team I

Mark

im in the process of sending my van over, am waiting for my import license, and also dread the registration side of things! are you in a container with possessions or roro?

Gareth

Ii am in the middle of exporting my car.Iit leaves in 2 weeks, 3 days before I do. I am keeping a diary of dates and costs which I will post on this thread when done so you can all see how pain(ful)/free it has been.

Ii am exporting from Taunton, UK to Perth, WA.

The customs bit doesnt worry me, getting it registered with all the inspections, etc fills me with dread

mark

Does any of you know the answer....

We are bringing our car with us which we will have owned and used for 12 months on March 16th 2013. Is there any. Have that I would be able to book my flights and come over on the 1st March?? I know it's only 2 weeks but I wondered how tight they where on this rule. Do you think I would get away with it??

Jo

Guest msouth5000

Gareth

I am sending mine in a 20ft container by itself. Car is being shipped in to Fremantle.

Mark

If anyone can point me in the right direction of who to contact for registration in Perth I would appreciate it.

Guest nmpuk

My First post here.

A good friend of mine has moved to Perth, and lived there now for four years. We still keep in touch, however, when I mentioned to him that I was looking to sell my car, he said he'd take it, but no we need to figure out how to get the car over there and whether its worth the cost. My car is a Porsche 911 (996) 2002 C4S. Off course, as the car is not currently his, he would be importing it into the country, so this would be different to taking your car with you as you migrate. Anybody able to explain what the costs are likely to be, and if its worth the hassle?

Thanks

nmp

Hello,

I would like to know if the 12 month ownership rule applies to older vehicles. We would like to buy a VW Kombi that will have now doubt been made in the late 60/70's, but would like to move to Melbourne well within the next 12 months. Would I still have had to have owned this for more than 12 months before I can bring it over? VW Kombi's ar pretty expensive in OZ. Thank in advance for any advice.

Regards,

P.

Guest Guest67761
My First post here.

A good friend of mine has moved to Perth, and lived there now for four years. We still keep in touch, however, when I mentioned to him that I was looking to sell my car, he said he'd take it, but no we need to figure out how to get the car over there and whether its worth the cost. My car is a Porsche 911 (996) 2002 C4S. Off course, as the car is not currently his, he would be importing it into the country, so this would be different to taking your car with you as you migrate. Anybody able to explain what the costs are likely to be, and if its worth the hassle?

Thanks

nmp

Welcome to the forum.

Assuming you have owned and used this car yourself for at least the past 12 months in the UK and that you can provide evidence that you are moving to live in Australia then you could most likely obtain approval to import the vehicle, then once its in Australia you can sell it to your friend without any restriction. On the other hand if you have not owned the car for that long and/or you are not actually moving to Australia then you will not get approval to import it.

If you could get approval then it would be a great car to import as almost all Porsche models are worth substantially more in Australia than they are in the UK. If you believe that you could meet the criteria to get import approval then please let us know more details about the car so we can run the numbers properly for you.

Hello,

I would like to know if the 12 month ownership rule applies to older vehicles. We would like to buy a VW Kombi that will have now doubt been made in the late 60/70's, but would like to move to Melbourne well within the next 12 months. Would I still have had to have owned this for more than 12 months before I can bring it over? VW Kombi's ar pretty expensive in OZ. Thank in advance for any advice.

Regards,

P.

The 12 month ownership requirement only applies to vehicles built from 1989 onwards. Anything built in 1988 or earlier is allowed for import to Australia without restriction so getting an import approval is basically just a formality and really quite a simple process.

There will still be costs involved to get the Kombi into Australia including import approval application fee, shipping costs of course, tax and some basic requirements for road registration - however being over 30 years of age this vehicle would not incur import duty as with newer models.

Guest nmpuk
Welcome to the forum.

Assuming you have owned and used this car yourself for at least the past 12 months in the UK and that you can provide evidence that you are moving to live in Australia then you could most likely obtain approval to import the vehicle, then once its in Australia you can sell it to your friend without any restriction. On the other hand if you have not owned the car for that long and/or you are not actually moving to Australia then you will not get approval to import it.

If you could get approval then it would be a great car to import as almost all Porsche models are worth substantially more in Australia than they are in the UK. If you believe that you could meet the criteria to get import approval then please let us know more details about the car so we can run the numbers properly for you.

Hi Kakimoto,

thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I have no plans to move to Oz, though I have owned the car for about 5 years. I read earlier in this thread that my mate could buy the car here and import it, so what would be the costs involved there?

As you mention, my mate has been looking for a Porsche in Oz and its prohibitively expensive, but he said he'd offer me a good deal, to buy it from me.

Any suggestions around whether this is feasible and if its cost effective would be great!

Many Thanks

nmp

Guest Guest67761
Hi Kakimoto,

thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I have no plans to move to Oz, though I have owned the car for about 5 years. I read earlier in this thread that my mate could buy the car here and import it, so what would be the costs involved there?

As you mention, my mate has been looking for a Porsche in Oz and its prohibitively expensive, but he said he'd offer me a good deal, to buy it from me.

Any suggestions around whether this is feasible and if its cost effective would be great!

Many Thanks

nmp

If your mate purchased the car from you in the UK then he would not meet the requirements for a "personal import" as he would not have owned and used the car himself overseas for 12 months prior to returning to Australia. There are only 2 ways around this and neither would be easy or ideal:

1. You obtain a suitable visa and move to Australia and apply to bring the car with you. Before giving approval to import they will require good evidence that you intend staying in Australia, however you could sell the car and decide to head back to the UK at any time.

2. Have your friend come to live with you in the UK for a year and put the car in his name as soon as he gets there, then he can bring it back to Australia when he moves back. He would need to actually live in the UK to qualify and they will check.

Sorry there is no magic way around the laws otherwise everyone would be doing it.

Let me know if you need any more information at all.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest Team I

Just received my personnel import license for my vito dualiner van, pretty painless, was missing some information and they emailed me with the list, sent it over immediatley and left it 2 days, phoned them up and they were very helpful and implied a decision will be made in 2 further days then documentation sent out.

received it today ..../ 15days from application to process, email at day 17, replied same day, chased day 19, result day 21!!

delighted to say the least as my business owns the van, however it is registered at my home address, and my name is on insurance.

one happy bunny..... container time!!

Gareth

Hi all,

Hope you can shed some light on the Australian Customs Service AQIS form.

Just looking to fill in the AQIS 'Unaccompanied personal effects statement' where they ask if you're bringing in a car ...

They ask for description, 'price or estimated price $AUS' and date ....

Are they asking for original purchase price (converted to $), current market value in UK (converted to $), a rough redbook guide, or is it the value you get from having it assessed when you get to Aus (in which case do I leave it blank for now)? If it's either of the first two presumably I can use current exchange rates? Not sure what to put down ...

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Guest Rah Rah

Iron Chef have sent you an email to your ironlady address, hope this is the right one? I have a motorbike to import and I have booked my flights for the 1st May 2012. Its a 1997 Kawasaki ZX7R and I need to get a steer on costs left to pay and what are my next steps.

Guest svenright

Hello Iron Chef,

I am still considering importing a car to Oz having being living here for the past 6 months on the 457 visa, and claiming LAFHA. As it stands I qualify as a temp resident, with 3.5 years left on my visa. After reading Section 162 - Import Declaration Required/VIA Required my query is:

1: Do I still have to have owned the car for 12 months prior to importing even tho I am classed as a temp resident, and considering at time of import it will be my intention to export the car again?

I understand that I will have to put down a security deposit and export the car again, however if I become a permanent resident I will have to pay duty & tax etc.

2: If during the course of my 457 visa if I was to secure permanent residency, can I then apply to keep my car in the country? & pay the relevant charges taxes etc.

Therefore avoiding the need to own the car for 12 months prior to importing.

3: Which government agency would be best to secure confirmation of this in writing prior to commencing any importation process. (Department of Transport and Regional Services? )

For what its worth, I could make the argument that I drove a company car for 6 years in Ireland, before getting my redundancy. I will be back home on 2/3 occasions in the next 12 months and can provide evidence of this to support my claim that I am living between both countries while on my 457 visa.

Thanks for your help and I look forward to your response in due course.

Edited by svenright

Please can someone help or clarify for me please.

We will have owned our car for 12 months on 16/03/2013 and want to fly to Perth on the 17/03/2013. Some people I have spoken to said there is no way I can even apply until the 12 months is up. I am so confused as we need to leave ASAP but also really wanna take our car out with us as well.

Anyone who has any advice or been in a similar situation would love to hear from you.

Thanks Jo