Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

Hi guys, sorry for the slow replies, later I'll fill you in on what I get up to while when I'm not replying in here ;)

Hi

Have downloaded the form for importing a car probably later this year/early next and I am a bit confused.

People say you need to give an Oz address but where? It just says "your address" so could I put my UK address here so I will get the approval sent to me. If it physically needs to be in Oz when the car is being transported then surely I can post it or scan and e-mail it there later.

Just seems silly having the approval sent to a mate in Oz when I will probably need the documentation to get it shipped from UK

Also it asks about details of an agent? Iron Chief If I am planning on using Iron Lady when the time comes do I give your details now or can I tell them that later.

What did you other fill in for address then?

I've got a standing deal going with DIT in Canberra that you can use your UK address on the application and add a cover note asking them to send all the original import approvals to my address (PM me if you want it). It saves a lot of hassles later on and I can send them straight to the workshop doing the work for registration.

You only need a copy to take it out of the UK, which is what you'll get from the DIT. Everything is online these days, so you don't even need an original import approval to take it off the docks in Australia. They just ask for a scan then Customs cross checks it with the DIT database.

As promised, this is what happened for me so I hope it will give a good indication to people thinking about importing their car. This is for shipping from UK to Sydney, NSW via Anglo Pacific -> OSS worldwide, so there will be some variances:

31 Oct 2011 - car picked up for shippers

8 Nov 2011 - on the boat and on its way

25 Dec 2011 - landed in Sydney apparently

12 Jan 2012 - customs invoice arrives

27th Jan 2012 - cleared quarantine - no extra costs or steam cleaning requirements :shocked:

3rd Feb 2012 - get car towed to local inspection garage

22nd Feb 2012 - compliance plate attached to car, greenslip purchased

25th Feb 2012 - car registered, number plates attached, woo hoo! :biggrin:

You could easily save 3/4 weeks as I had to fit around my work and mainly had to do stuff at weekends, the inspection/registration is very quick once you have the paperwork so make sure you get all 4 import approval certificates when you arrive in Aus.

Now here's probably the most requested info, the cost of it all. My car was valued around £21000 before it left. AU$ for all figures based upon exchange rate of ~1.5 where I paid in £ as that's what it was at the start.

$50 - import application

$2360 - shipping cost (door to Sydney depot)

$900 - marine insurance to cover the destination market value

$250 - quarantine inspection

$320 - independent vehicle valuation

$6675 - customs duty and GST (based on valuation of $40500)

$850 - customs clearance and handout

$160 - towing from depot to local garage

$86 - compliance plate

$220 - 3x child restraints anchors

$205 - safety and roadworthy inspection (blue slip)

$52 - registration fee

$402 - NSW vehicle tax (based on car weight)

$1215 - NSW stamp duty (based on valuation of $40500)

£400 - euro style number plates (cheaper options available)

A grand total of $13345 or ~£8900 or ~42% of the UK value. Looking at this, I would say you can cut around 5% by choosing cheaper shipping options but also note some items are fixed amounts and do not depend on the value of car.

And before you put the wallet away, there's greenslip & comp insurance on top which is vehicle/individual specific.

Great list, thanks for that! For everyone else reading, just remember pwkl paid a fair bit in tax, so that bumped the price a fair bit. Did you send it in a container or on RORO?

I have been reading this thread with much interest and would like to ask for some advice about exporting my car.

I have a 176 visa and will be relocating to Adelaide some time around September 2013. Wish it was earlier but I have a contract to fulfil :mask:

Anyway, I have a much loved VW Golf GTi MkV 5 Door Manual 50K miles purchased new in 2006 for approx £24K. It has extras fitted such as Leather interior, Bi-Xenons and I wondered if it was worth the hassle of going through the exporting process. If it is would it be possible to ask for a ball park figure for costs.

I think I answered this in the calculator thread yeah? Shoot me an email for costs.

Hi, please could you send me the form the mechanic needs to sign to prove degassing of the air-con system

Many thanks

Are they in the first post in this thread? If not I'll go back and find the link.

If you find one, please let me know, I was asking around for one too.

I did find this site though ....

http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosphere/ozone/licences/vehicle-import.html

Documentary evidence may include:

• A statement issued by the Manufacturer/Supplier (on appropriate letterhead) stating that the equipment is degassed. The statement be dated and signed by the Manufacturer/Supplier representative, and must include the equipment details such as make, model, serial number, etc; or
  • A degassing certificate issued by a qualified Airconditioning/Refrigeration Technician, attesting that the degassing has been undertaken in accordance with the regulations of the country of origin. The degassing certificate must be dated and signed and contain the contact details of the Technician who performed the work; and must include the details of the equipment being degassed such make, model and VIN / Chassis / Serial number, etc.

If the department is satisfied with the documentary evidence supplied, it will approve the release of the equipment without the need for a PCE licence, subject to Customs usual requirements being met.

Hope this helps

P

If your aircon is gassed with R134a you will be OK & do not need to degass - you simply sign a waiver (for a pre-charged equip licence) that the aircon gas meets the requirements.. Most cars within the last 10-15 years use R134a.

Anyone importing a car under PIS can gain an expemption from obtaining a "pre-charged equipment licence" SUBJECT TO the the refridgerant type. R134A are fine and you can sign the waiver

Most cars have a yellow sticker in the engine bay stating the type of gas used.

This isn't quite right - basically you have to have a gas other than R12 (which is virtually all cars these days), and in order to get an exemption from removing the gas, you have to show shipping documents for your personal effects, as well as the V5 for your car and your driver's licence.

Up until recently, it used to be that you could only get an exemption if your car was put in the same container as your personal effects/furniture/etc, but having already done a road test on this, it seems AQIS Ozone don't mind if the car and the personal effects are sent seprately (i.e. if the car comes on RORO and the other gear gets sent in a container) as long as they have the shipping docs for the other stuff.

Mwahahaha (evil grin) ... cheers for that, just managed to track down my sticker (black, on the inside of the bonnet just behind the latch on a E92 3 series beemer) ...

It's R134a, I'm sending the vehicle in a container along with personal effects, so I feel pretty assured with everyone's comments now that I've just saved a de-gas and re-gas.

Cheers

P

If your car is coming with your other personal effects, you'll be fine.

Great list, thanks for that! For everyone else reading, just remember pwkl paid a fair bit in tax, so that bumped the price a fair bit. Did you send it in a container or on RORO?

A container but not individual. I had a flat battery and the operators would not jump start it themselves so they pushed it around the port and depot on a rolling thingymejig. What happens on RORO in that situation?

You'll find they've jump started so many cars over the years, they'd be familiar with the process on virtually every car on the market. Bear in mind that virtually all new cars are shipped via RORO - even they get flat batteries in many cases...

Hi Iron Chef,

Quick one, I applied for my PIS vehicle permit on 9 Feb, which is around 18 working days ago. How long should I give the dept before I start chasing them? I don't want to harass them unnecessarily, but at the same time I'm keen to see my paperwork arrive.

Cheers

P

Feel free to chase them up any time from now - keep an eye on your credit card statements, as they'll take the AUD50 application fee once they start processing it.

Cheers squire, they already did the sneaky buggars ... 21 days ago!

I'm gonna do me some infrastructure bod huntin' ....

Not having any joy on shipping companies though, seems they're fine with complete cars, but they run a mile as soon as they see a kit car chassis/body with no suspension. Too much effort for them methinks :(

P

Guest louisepatrick

Hi there

were looking tio move out to tasmania in the next few months on a permanent resident visa and was wondering if its worth taking our car which weve had two years its a BMW 320i 2006 model any ideas.

Louisepatrick

Please can anyone help?

Does the 12 month ownership rule still apply for taking cars to oz? Also do I pay tax on what my var is valued before I leave the UK or how much it is worth in oz. As here it is only worth £6k but in perth the same car is worth $26,000!! But when we come over we will have only owned the car 9 months.

Thanks Jo

Please can anyone help?

Does the 12 month ownership rule still apply for taking cars to oz? Also do I pay tax on what my var is valued before I leave the UK or how much it is worth in oz. As here it is only worth £6k but in perth the same car is worth $26,000!! But when we come over we will have only owned the car 9 months.

Thanks Jo

If you're planning to bring it in under the Personal Imports Scheme (PIS), the eligibility is:

Ref : http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/pdf/VSB10_info_brochure_july_2011.pdf

Criteria, ownership of the vehicle

Applicants must satisfy each of the following ownership requirements. You must:

• own the vehicle when submitting the application; and

• have acquired ownership of the vehicle from overseas; and

• have owned the vehicle while overseas; and

have owned the vehicle for a continuous period of at least 12 months. This is the “qualifying period”. The qualifying period must have occurred immediately before you (permanently) arrived in Australia.

Criteria, use of the vehicle

The vehicle must have been available to you for use in transport. This means that the vehicle must have been available to be driven by you, at all times during the 12 month qualifying period. The vehicle should be registered (in your name) and garaged (proximate to your residence) throughout the 12 month qualifying period, so that you could, if needed, drive the vehicle. In addition, you must have held an appropriate licence to drive the vehicle overseas.

Normal import costs are 5% duty and another 10% GST, calculated based on a valuation made in Australia. From what I've been led to believe, this valuation is generally lower than second hand prices advertised on redbook.com.au.

Ref: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4371.asp#duty

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/ValuationImportedRoadVehicles.pdf

Hope this helps

P

Thanks PeteD, do you or anyone else on here know if it would be worth bringing over my Mitsubishi Grandis or selling and buying a car when I get over there??

I just cant believe the cose of used cars, I'm just trying to work the actual cost of what it would be to get it over there, mind is boggled.

Thanks

Jo

Guest Shell15
Thanks PeteD, do you or anyone else on here know if it would be worth bringing over my Mitsubishi Grandis or selling and buying a car when I get over there??

I just cant believe the cose of used cars, I'm just trying to work the actual cost of what it would be to get it over there, mind is boggled.

Thanks

Jo

We have asked the same question. My husband has looked on the australian version of ebay and they seem to be worth around $15000-$17000 over there, ours is worth around £4500 here. we have the warrior model on a 54 plate (2004)

Guest Shell15

If you're planning to bring it in under the Personal Imports Scheme (PIS), the eligibility is:

Ref : http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/pdf/VSB10_info_brochure_july_2011.pdf

Criteria, ownership of the vehicle

Applicants must satisfy each of the following ownership requirements. You must:

• own the vehicle when submitting the application; and

• have acquired ownership of the vehicle from overseas; and

• have owned the vehicle while overseas; and

have owned the vehicle for a continuous period of at least 12 months. This is the “qualifying period”. The qualifying period must have occurred immediately before you (permanently) arrived in Australia.

Criteria, use of the vehicle

The vehicle must have been available to you for use in transport. This means that the vehicle must have been available to be driven by you, at all times during the 12 month qualifying period. The vehicle should be registered (in your name) and garaged (proximate to your residence) throughout the 12 month qualifying period, so that you could, if needed, drive the vehicle. In addition, you must have held an appropriate licence to drive the vehicle overseas.

Normal import costs are 5% duty and another 10% GST, calculated based on a valuation made in Australia. From what I've been led to believe, this valuation is generally lower than second hand prices advertised on redbook.com.au.

Ref: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4371.asp#duty

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/ValuationImportedRoadVehicles.pdf

Hope this helps

P

Hi we bought a new vehicle for work which is registered as a company vehicle to our business that we own but not in our personnel name, do you know if it qualifies for us to bring over if we transfer it into our personnel names?

Thank you

Michelle

Thanks

Jo

Shipping cars and parts of cars and the infrastructure/customs hoops you have to jump through are enough to make the mind boggle ...

Check out this thread by Iron Chef

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/138727-worth-bringing-my-car-iron-ladys-trusty-new-calculator-reveals-all.html

Leave your info there ...

Sometimes takes a day or two (Iron Chef has a life too!), but you get your answer :)

P

Guest Megan123

We just wanted to say a big thank you to Iron Chef for all your guidance and support! Our car is now safely with us and the whole process was made so much easier than to you!

Many, many thanks

Megan and family

Guest msouth5000

Hi,

VIA applied for.................if they decide to let me have one is it best to get the aircon degassed? audi a6 2007. says 'CFC free' on the sticker under the bonnet but it doesnt say what gas it is

Mark

Guest Team I

Does anybody have a direct phone number to customs in freemantle or the airport in perth, im in the UK and this number of theirs wont go through (1300 558 287) i just want to speak with them about my KpH not being on my speed dial but shows in digital next to it?

thanks

Gareth

Sorry once again guys - a long weekend here (and a family reunion at the in-laws on the west coast of SA - 7 hour drive each way) plus having to go into hospital for day surgery (nothing major) has slowed me down a little this week!

Hi Iron Chef I've sent you a private email to see if you can start the ball rolling!! That previous quote from Pwkl seems far too much!!!

Hi mate, will send you a reply as soon as I finish here :)

Hi there

were looking tio move out to tasmania in the next few months on a permanent resident visa and was wondering if its worth taking our car which weve had two years its a BMW 320i 2006 model any ideas.

Louisepatrick

The short answer is yes it's probably worth doing - as mentioned the Calculator thread should help in that regard.

Please can anyone help?

Thanks Jo

The rule for 12 months of ownership is pretty much set in stone unfortunately.

We have asked the same question. My husband has looked on the australian version of ebay and they seem to be worth around $15000-$17000 over there, ours is worth around £4500 here. we have the warrior model on a 54 plate (2004)

If you haven't done so already, post this in the calculator thread :)

Hi we bought a new vehicle for work which is registered as a company vehicle to our business that we own but not in our personnel name, do you know if it qualifies for us to bring over if we transfer it into our personnel names?

Thank you

Michelle

Hi Michelle, yes you can apply for the cars even if they're registered to the business, as long as you can demonstrate you either own the business or had the vehicles for your sole personal use for at least 12 months.

Shipping cars and parts of cars and the infrastructure/customs hoops you have to jump through are enough to make the mind boggle ...

Check out this thread by Iron Chef

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/138727-worth-bringing-my-car-iron-ladys-trusty-new-calculator-reveals-all.html

Leave your info there ...

Sometimes takes a day or two (Iron Chef has a life too!), but you get your answer :)

P

I don't actually have that much of a life - too busy answering emails! I'm actually hiring someone else to come and work with me on Iron Lady soon, exciting times!

We just wanted to say a big thank you to Iron Chef for all your guidance and support! Our car is now safely with us and the whole process was made so much easier than to you!

Many, many thanks

Megan and family

My pleasure Megan, glad to hear I helped!

Hi,

VIA applied for.................if they decide to let me have one is it best to get the aircon degassed? audi a6 2007. says 'CFC free' on the sticker under the bonnet but it doesnt say what gas it is

Mark

Hi Mark, there's some discussion on air cons a few pages back in this thread - basically if you're bringing your furniture and personal effects over, you can get an exemption. If you're not, get it de-gassed.

Does anybody have a direct phone number to customs in freemantle or the airport in perth, im in the UK and this number of theirs wont go through (1300 558 287) i just want to speak with them about my KpH not being on my speed dial but shows in digital next to it?

thanks

Gareth

Hi Gareth, don't stress - Customs won't give two hoots about your speedo, and it won't affect getting your car into the country. Remember the process for getting clearance off the docks and getting the car registered are completely separate.

Guest great painter

My son is 9 years of age and he races motorcycles at home. He wants to bring his motocross bike to Oz. It is not and cannot be used as a road vehicle, and it does not have a logbook.Will I still have to pay charges to bring it over?

Hope someone has an answer........... Thanks a million!

Guest msouth5000

iron chef, cheers for the advice

Ii am in the middle of exporting my car.Iit leaves in 2 weeks, 3 days before I do. I am keeping a diary of dates and costs which I will post on this thread when done so you can all see how pain(ful)/free it has been.

Ii am exporting from Taunton, UK to Perth, WA.

The customs bit doesnt worry me, getting it registered with all the inspections, etc fills me with dread

mark