Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

HI Iron Chef,

Top quality info thanks for all your help! I have a 1968 Mini Cooper S and wondered whether there is a link to info for importing this to Aus, as it looks like after over 3 years our application may be on the move!

Thanks in advance for any help

PJ

Hi Iron Chef

To relay our own experiance, our car was passed with just the ISOFIX child seat anchors. No additional child seat anchor points were required. Maybe the regulations are moving, ..... or maybe the inspector was having a good day :)

K

You struck an inspector who had just met a new girl....was it a Friday afternoon when you went in??

Iron Chef

send you a email for costs etc, i have attached a couple of photo's, one is for the child anchour points and the second is about the dial / digital Km/ph? I hope this explains, don't need the agrivation of tring to get a new speed dash.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12462[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12463[/ATTACH]

Ugh it's a bit hard to make a judgement call, to be honest, as an inspector may well disagree with me - it's his/her opinion that's going to matter. Worst case scenario, both things can be remedied fairly easily here if the transport authorities don't like it.

Hello Iron Chef,

First, let me say how fantastic this thread is and how grateful I am for the valuable information you offer.

I am a dual Australian/UK citizen living in London. I have been living here for the last 10.5 years after relocating from Sydney. My wife and I are looking to migrate back to Sydney in about 2 years time and I am thinking of buying a new car in the next month or two to eventually ship to Australia when we move. We currently own a 3 year old Mini Cooper which we are likely to sell when we move. The car I am looking at is a new Audi TT 2.0 TFSI (petrol) auto quattro coupe. Brand new I think the cost will be something like £33,000. I know the equivalent car sells for something like $85k - 90k so based on the current GBP/AUD (circa 1.48) exchange rate, the car is quite a bit cheaper in the UK.

My question are:

1. Do you think its worth bringing over such a car to Sydney?

2. Roughly what would be the likely costs + GST/stamp duty (roughly)?

3. Will these costs and tax when added to the original cost of the Audi TT make it more expensive than the Australian price guide for the same car above (you can assume the same exchange rate as per above)

4. Lastly, does it matter that we will own both the Mini and Audi for the next two years before the Audi is shipped?

Thanks a million in advance for any help you can offer!

Kind regards

No worries, always nice to see people join up so they can post in here!

I'd love to do a personality test on Poms coming to Oz and the cars they buy - I seem to get an inordinate number of Audi TTs and Mondeos! As fate would have it, someone just asked me about what cars would be best at GBP30K budget - here is my copy-and-pasted response:

Any Aston Martin (but if you buy a Cygnet I'll never speak to you again)

M3 sedan (found a nice 2008 one for GBP27500), C63 AMG or Audi RS4, or step up to M5/RS6/AMG E series if the budget allows

Porsche Cayenne late model is worth a look, but all Porsches are almost guaranteed winners

Bentley Continental Coupe!! That would surely have to be close to the top of the list....awesome resale here

Infiniti FX50 - something a bit different, but they will be retailing at $120K when they come out in Oz

Current shape Jaguar XJ - uber cool and very well liked here

Maserati Quattroporte - check on prices here first, but well worth considering

Nissan GT-R - would be high on MY list ;)

TVR Sagaris floats my boat personally - rare in Oz

If you have your heart set on a TT, then that's fine, you will still be in front when the time comes to bring it back to Australia, but whatever you do, do NOT buy new if you want to make it worth your while. UK depreciation from new is attrocious - it's the sole reason why cars make money when they come to Australia. Aim for something 2 years old. And the Mini is worth bringing over too.

No point in giving costs at this stage, as they'll change in the next two years, but you're on a fairly safe wicket with any of the cars I listed above. You could do a lot worse than a Bentley!

HI Iron Chef,

Top quality info thanks for all your help! I have a 1968 Mini Cooper S and wondered whether there is a link to info for importing this to Aus, as it looks like after over 3 years our application may be on the move!

Thanks in advance for any help

PJ

PJ, the Mini will be a no-brainer - being a 1968 model, it will be dead easy to import. I'm gradually updating my site, so look for info on the pre-1989 rule at some point.

Iron Chef

send you a email for costs etc, i have attached a couple of photo's, one is for the child anchour points and the second is about the dial / digital Km/ph? I hope this explains, don't need the agrivation of tring to get a new speed dash.

Hmmmm, to me those look like luggage/baggage hooks. I've got some of those in my car boot, they pivot up right?

Guest svenright

Hello Iron Chef, my I refer to you as the wise one!! :) Great thread, very informative and it certainly answered a lot of my initial queries. However, I could not find the answer to all of my queries so I hope you dont mind me asking your opinion relevant to my situation.

I am currently living in Sydney on the 457 long stay business visa having arrived from Ireland in November. It is my intention to apply for permanent residency in due course, 2/3 years time. I am considering buying a car in the UK for around 20K sterling in December '12 when I return home.( Audi RS4/S5, BMW M5 or Cayenne ) I am prepared to register, tax and insure the car for 12months and park it up until such time as I return again in Dec/Jan 2013. I would then ship the car to Sydney from the Uk.

I will have used the car on two occasions during the qualifying period, ( dec-jan 2012 and dec-jan 2013 ) However I will be living in Sydney in between these dates, albeit on a temp long stay business visa. My argument is that I did use the car and it was available to me for use during the 12 months, despite the fact I was Sydney. At the time of purchase it might have been my intention to purchase the car for use at home in Ireland/UK, however my circumstances have changed and Australia will now be my new home as I plan to apply for perm resident. Hence the reason for importing my personal vehicle !! :)

The question I have is - since I am on a temp visa, will the 12 months ownership of the car be recognised even though I will have been in Sydney for the majority of the 12 months ownership/qualifying period?

I think I read somewhere that since I am on a temp visa, I do not have to adhear to the qualifying period - is this correct?

My situation is complicated because of the fact that I will have been living in Sydney for 12 months on the temp visa before buying the car. I will still be on my temp visa when the car is imported circa april 2014 but I will be going for my perm residency around that time. Buying the car in the UK and parking it up in Ireland only complicates matters but I can look after that side of things myself.

What I dont want to happen is for me to spend 20k Stg on a car and not be allowed import it because I wasnt resident in that country during the 12months ownership/qualifying period.

Sorry if my summary is a bit all over the place, u can see why I was getting confused!

Any advise/direction/clarification would be much appreciated wise one!!

Interestingly enough, I've been helping a bloke from Japan take DIT to court in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal over refusal of an import approval application - more on that when we get the ruling ;)

Hello Iron Chef,

Wow what a thread.

What was the result of the AAT ? I might be in a similar situation to this bloke, and might need your help as well (sent a message through your website a few days ago - i'm the one from Japan with an Audi RS4 and Honda S2000).

Cheers

Nicolas

Clutching at straws!!!!! I did put child anchour points in google images and there were some photos of ground level connections like these, the actual tie down lugs are on the left and right. Here's hoping, I will contact Mercedes today I think.

Hello Iron Chef, my I refer to you as the wise one!! :) Great thread, very informative and it certainly answered a lot of my initial queries. However, I could not find the answer to all of my queries so I hope you dont mind me asking your opinion relevant to my situation.

I am currently living in Sydney on the 457 long stay business visa having arrived from Ireland in November. It is my intention to apply for permanent residency in due course, 2/3 years time. I am considering buying a car in the UK for around 20K sterling in December '12 when I return home.( Audi RS4/S5, BMW M5 or Cayenne ) I am prepared to register, tax and insure the car for 12months and park it up until such time as I return again in Dec/Jan 2013. I would then ship the car to Sydney from the Uk.

I will have used the car on two occasions during the qualifying period, ( dec-jan 2012 and dec-jan 2013 ) However I will be living in Sydney in between these dates, albeit on a temp long stay business visa. My argument is that I did use the car and it was available to me for use during the 12 months, despite the fact I was Sydney. At the time of purchase it might have been my intention to purchase the car for use at home in Ireland/UK, however my circumstances have changed and Australia will now be my new home as I plan to apply for perm resident. Hence the reason for importing my personal vehicle !! :)

The question I have is - since I am on a temp visa, will the 12 months ownership of the car be recognised even though I will have been in Sydney for the majority of the 12 months ownership/qualifying period?

I think I read somewhere that since I am on a temp visa, I do not have to adhear to the qualifying period - is this correct?

My situation is complicated because of the fact that I will have been living in Sydney for 12 months on the temp visa before buying the car. I will still be on my temp visa when the car is imported circa april 2014 but I will be going for my perm residency around that time. Buying the car in the UK and parking it up in Ireland only complicates matters but I can look after that side of things myself.

What I dont want to happen is for me to spend 20k Stg on a car and not be allowed import it because I wasnt resident in that country during the 12months ownership/qualifying period.

Sorry if my summary is a bit all over the place, u can see why I was getting confused!

Part of the application for import approval is to declare all trips outside of your home country as it will count against you having owned it for 12 months. You also need to prove you've used your car during those 12 months ie. service work, invoices etc. I don't know if the rules are different for temp visas holders though.

Guest svenright
Part of the application for import approval is to declare all trips outside of your home country as it will count against you having owned it for 12 months. You also need to prove you've used your car during those 12 months ie. service work, invoices etc. I don't know if the rules are different for temp visas holders though.

Dammit, its not looking good so. Thanks for the advise in any case. I will continue to investigate and if I come across any further info relating to 457 visa holders I will update this thread!

Thanks iron chef, I sent an email through your website for your services. Have you received it? We are going to Perth

Got it, you should have got a reply yesterday :)

lol flattery will get you everywhere!

For starters, 457 is classified as a permanent visa by the Aussie govt (for the purposes of importing a car at least), so looking at your situation, I'd say if you're not planning to be in the UK with the car for at least 12 months, you're going to be pushing it uphill to convince Vehicle Imports you bought the car at a time when you were intending to be living back in the UK. I've heard situations where Vehicle Imports has allowed genuine cases of people having to travel overseas for work as still counting for their 12 month qualifying period, but they expect letters from employers to back it up (and they can and have rung employers to double check they're legit). There are too many question marks over your plans - use your GBP20K to invest in shares or some other money making scheme, I'd say. If you ignore my advice and still manage to get an import approval, let me know how you did it!

Hello Iron Chef,

Wow what a thread.

What was the result of the AAT ? I might be in a similar situation to this bloke, and might need your help as well (sent a message through your website a few days ago - i'm the one from Japan with an Audi RS4 and Honda S2000).

Cheers

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas, they put conditions on his import approval, one of which was that he couldn't sell the car for 2 years. Our win in the AAT reduced that figure to 6 months. I'll go through your email soon.

And they check your passport carefully too!

Clutching at straws!!!!! I did put child anchour points in google images and there were some photos of ground level connections like these, the actual tie down lugs are on the left and right. Here's hoping, I will contact Mercedes today I think.

Yeah I don't think they will cut it from a safety perspective, I'm afraid.

thanks, ive sent an email as we are getting a little confused, im after a price from yourselves to sort handling of our van and nesessary liase with customs for clearance and registration. And a list of associated costs from customs so we can budget this in.

Hi

You have written:

When should I apply for import approval? As soon as you've met the criteria for importing, or as soon as you have your visa. DON'T make the mistake of waiting until you're about to come over to Australia! Our government has a long history of making running changes to legislation without letting anyone know.

What I want to know is how can you get all the required documentation required on the import form if you havent left to go and live in Oz yet?

My situation: I own my house and will rent when i leave, i cant proove this though until i'm gone and i rent it out.

Ive owned the bike for over 12 months but cant apply for a rental in Oz as I'm not there yet and havent got a tax file number etc...

Much of this info required, i need an address to apply for so I cant apply till i get there...........???

chicken and egg situation

Martyn

i spoke with them in canberra, they were very helpfull and we are in similar situation, to get 100 points, we asked an estate agent (who we are now going to rent through) to send us a letter headed agreement with the usual thank you for choosing us for your rental, this is suffice for 50points, and a resignation letter you write yourself another fifty, try and open a bank account, we have and you may be able to open remotely.

i emailed my application in 9 emails !! yesterday as they said keep each mail below 8meg and make your you get a response. Also i had problem with proof of ownership as it is in my business name, this was not a problem as long as you can prove it, fortunatley it is regisitered to our home address & insured in my name.

you will be surprised how you can accumulate the points with this. We move out there in next few months so hopefully receive some news in next 15 days.

Iron Chef - send you a mail about crossed paths, did you receive it? as need someone in perth to handle the customs side and registration?

thanks & good luck

Hi

Have downloaded the form for importing a car probably later this year/early next and I am a bit confused.

People say you need to give an Oz address but where? It just says "your address" so could I put my UK address here so I will get the approval sent to me. If it physically needs to be in Oz when the car is being transported then surely I can post it or scan and e-mail it there later.

Just seems silly having the approval sent to a mate in Oz when I will probably need the documentation to get it shipped from UK

Also it asks about details of an agent? Iron Chief If I am planning on using Iron Lady when the time comes do I give your details now or can I tell them that later.

What did you other fill in for address then?

Hi

Have downloaded the form for importing a car probably later this year/early next and I am a bit confused.

People say you need to give an Oz address but where? It just says "your address" so could I put my UK address here so I will get the approval sent to me. If it physically needs to be in Oz when the car is being transported then surely I can post it or scan and e-mail it there later.

Just seems silly having the approval sent to a mate in Oz when I will probably need the documentation to get it shipped from UK

You use your UK address first, if you are still in UK. They will then send you a copy of the certificate that you'll need for customs and you give this to the shipping company. Once you get to Aus, you contact them again and provide your Aus address, and they will send you the original set of certificates (there are four).

I would apply around 2 months before you plan to ship the car, you should know by then who you'll be using as your shipping agent.

As promised, this is what happened for me so I hope it will give a good indication to people thinking about importing their car. This is for shipping from UK to Sydney, NSW via Anglo Pacific -> OSS worldwide, so there will be some variances:

31 Oct 2011 - car picked up for shippers

8 Nov 2011 - on the boat and on its way

25 Dec 2011 - landed in Sydney apparently

12 Jan 2012 - customs invoice arrives

27th Jan 2012 - cleared quarantine - no extra costs or steam cleaning requirements :shocked:

3rd Feb 2012 - get car towed to local inspection garage

22nd Feb 2012 - compliance plate attached to car, greenslip purchased

25th Feb 2012 - car registered, number plates attached, woo hoo! :biggrin:

You could easily save 3/4 weeks as I had to fit around my work and mainly had to do stuff at weekends, the inspection/registration is very quick once you have the paperwork so make sure you get all 4 import approval certificates when you arrive in Aus.

Now here's probably the most requested info, the cost of it all. My car was valued around £21000 before it left. AU$ for all figures based upon exchange rate of ~1.5 where I paid in £ as that's what it was at the start.

$50 - import application

$2360 - shipping cost (door to Sydney depot)

$900 - marine insurance to cover the destination market value

$250 - quarantine inspection

$320 - independent vehicle valuation

$6675 - customs duty and GST (based on valuation of $40500)

$850 - customs clearance and handout

$160 - towing from depot to local garage

$86 - compliance plate

$220 - 3x child restraints anchors

$205 - safety and roadworthy inspection (blue slip)

$52 - registration fee

$402 - NSW vehicle tax (based on car weight)

$1215 - NSW stamp duty (based on valuation of $40500)

£400 - euro style number plates (cheaper options available)

A grand total of $13345 or ~£8900 or ~42% of the UK value. Looking at this, I would say you can cut around 5% by choosing cheaper shipping options but also note some items are fixed amounts and do not depend on the value of car.

And before you put the wallet away, there's greenslip & comp insurance on top which is vehicle/individual specific.

I have been reading this thread with much interest and would like to ask for some advice about exporting my car.

I have a 176 visa and will be relocating to Adelaide some time around September 2013. Wish it was earlier but I have a contract to fulfil :mask:

Anyway, I have a much loved VW Golf GTi MkV 5 Door Manual 50K miles purchased new in 2006 for approx £24K. It has extras fitted such as Leather interior, Bi-Xenons and I wondered if it was worth the hassle of going through the exporting process. If it is would it be possible to ask for a ball park figure for costs.

I have an e457 visa and have a very quick question - is there any way possible to take a car that is more than one yr old but not been owned by myself for 12mths? What if I intend to bring it back with me after my work placement (which will be 3yrs)??

Hi, please could you send me the form the mechanic needs to sign to prove degassing of the air-con system

Many thanks

If you find one, please let me know, I was asking around for one too.

I did find this site though ....

http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosphere/ozone/licences/vehicle-import.html

Documentary evidence may include:

• A statement issued by the Manufacturer/Supplier (on appropriate letterhead) stating that the equipment is degassed. The statement be dated and signed by the Manufacturer/Supplier representative, and must include the equipment details such as make, model, serial number, etc; or

• A degassing certificate issued by a qualified Airconditioning/Refrigeration Technician, attesting that the degassing has been undertaken in accordance with the regulations of the country of origin. The degassing certificate must be dated and signed and contain the contact details of the Technician who performed the work; and must include the details of the equipment being degassed such make, model and VIN / Chassis / Serial number, etc.

If the department is satisfied with the documentary evidence supplied, it will approve the release of the equipment without the need for a PCE licence, subject to Customs usual requirements being met.

Hope this helps

P

Hi, please could you send me the form the mechanic needs to sign to prove degassing of the air-con system

Many thanks

If your aircon is gassed with R134a you will be OK & do not need to degass - you simply sign a waiver (for a pre-charged equip licence) that the aircon gas meets the requirements.. Most cars within the last 10-15 years use R134a.

Anyone importing a car under PIS can gain an expemption from obtaining a "pre-charged equipment licence" SUBJECT TO the the refridgerant type. R134A are fine and you can sign the waiver

Most cars have a yellow sticker in the engine bay stating the type of gas used.

If your aircon is gassed with R134a you will be OK & do not need to degass - you simply sign a waiver (for a pre-charged equip licence) that the aircon gas meets the requirements.. Most cars within the last 10-15 years use R134a.

Anyone importing a car under PIS can gain an expemption from obtaining a "pre-charged equipment licence" SUBJECT TO the the refridgerant type. R134A are fine and you can sign the waiver

Most cars have a yellow sticker in the engine bay stating the type of gas used.

Mwahahaha (evil grin) ... cheers for that, just managed to track down my sticker (black, on the inside of the bonnet just behind the latch on a E92 3 series beemer) ...

It's R134a, I'm sending the vehicle in a container along with personal effects, so I feel pretty assured with everyone's comments now that I've just saved a de-gas and re-gas.

Cheers

P