Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

Hi,

Great informative thread.

We're moving over to Perth in April/May on a 457 with a view to go permanent. My wife has a 1983 Westafalia Club Joker campervan (Transporter) which she's owned for the past 6 years. Despite not being massively expensive she can't bare to part with it. Our only issue is the van is LHD, as it is only 28 1/2 years old we'll need to register it in WA and stay until its 30 before we can move elsewhere in Oz.

Our main issue is how we'll be treated bringing a LHD vehicle in and also will any companies be willing to insure what will possibly be the only one of its kind in Australia.

Thanks

Matt

Matt you're in luck - WA is the only state in Australia that has a 15 year limit rather than 30 year limit for registering LHD vehicles, so no problems with registration straight away from that side of things.

Shannon's Insurance deal with one-offs all the time, they will be able to reach some kind of agreed value with you. I have connections at Shannon's when the time comes.

Hi Iron Chef - really useful post a thanks for all of the info.

I would really appreciate your help with a couple of topics if possible.

First the $64,000 question - is it worth importing a 2007 Audi A4 Cabrio 2.0 TFSi Sport with ~48000 Kms on the clock into Brisbane? Can't find exact match on redbook etc for a proper Aus estimation, so your view would be appreciated. Also, is the Queensland weather too warm for a Cabrio?

Second, in the VSB10 info it states you need 100 points with a minimum of 1 primary document (50 points). Can you have more then 1 primary document to get the 100 point total?

Third, does anyone provide a drive to drive (or street to street) shipping service that avoids the effort/stress/hassle of all the red tape for a fee?

Thanks,

Tim

To answer your last question, I can do as much of it as possible (see the link in my sig), but you must still supply the paperwork needed for the application - there's no way around that ;)

Yes you can have more than one primary document to get your 100 points, no problem there.

And lastly, it's not too warm for cabrios - Qld probably has more of them than any other state in Australia haha. Nothing like cruising the beaches with the top down on a mild summer evening.

The A4 Cabriolet was only 1.8 here in 2007, which actually helps your cause a bit when the time comes to sell. But yes, worth bringing it.

http://redbook.com.au/cars/research/used/details?R=49667&Silo=Spec&Vertical=Car&Ridx=4&eapi=2

Hi Iron Chef, indeed a great post.

Just wondered how clean does the vehicle have to be, I know you have to clean shoes etc so what about your vehicle?

We are going out on a 457 visa and considering taking our transporter van, we have owned and used it for over 12 months so apart from the ton of paper work it looks like it could be worth it.

Don't worry about getting the car valeted, just give it a clean and get underneath it with a high pressure water sprayer (do you guys have the DIY car washes over there??). It will almost certainly get pinged by quarantine here and sent for another wash anyway, so there's no point wasting too much money on cleaning in the UK.

What sort of resale value would an Audi rs6 be out there! Would it be something the Australians would go for?! Is it a rare car? We r looking at buying an Audi I bring with us in a couple of years time and wondered what was the best!

I would like an Audi cabriolet a4 but hubby wants an rs6 or even both?!

If you can stump for the C6 version (V10 model) then I'll put my hand up now to buy it off you when you bring it over :) That or an R8, either are your best bets - I'm with hubby on this one!

Guest surferchicksal

Can't quite afford a v10 version but looking at a 2003/2004 model! Is it worth bringing? And if I could get an s4 cabriolet we should be on a winner then???

Dear Ironchef,

We have decided to bite the bullet and move to Perth in May 2012 on PR visa. We own a very reliable, 52 plate, Mitshubsi Shogun Sport, TD 2.5, Animal, 70,000miles. My query along with everyone esle's is, would it be worth taking it with us. We have limited funds (as i'm sure does everyone esle) but its a workhorse and we are worried to be without it. Also, how much would it cost to move it etc.....

Cheers in advance

Nic

Got my customs invoice through now. Is quarantine a separate process as I thought customs/quarantine were bunched together. There's only Duty, GST, Entry charge, Entry & Query memo, Air-con Release Memo on the invoice.

It varies from broker to broker, some like to do it all in one hit, others like to send two separate bills.

Can't quite afford a v10 version but looking at a 2003/2004 model! Is it worth bringing? And if I could get an s4 cabriolet we should be on a winner then???

I'd go for the RS6 if given the choice, bring the S4 if you can afford to do both, but in terms of investment, I'd take a Porsche 911 over either of them.

Dear Ironchef,

We have decided to bite the bullet and move to Perth in May 2012 on PR visa. We own a very reliable, 52 plate, Mitshubsi Shogun Sport, TD 2.5, Animal, 70,000miles. My query along with everyone esle's is, would it be worth taking it with us. We have limited funds (as i'm sure does everyone esle) but its a workhorse and we are worried to be without it. Also, how much would it cost to move it etc.....

Cheers in advance

Nic

Hi Nic, just shoot me an email via the website and I'll send something through for you.

Hi

Just a quick question, wanting to transport vehicle to Aus, whilst I have owned the vehicle for 2 or so years and the log book does show my name on it,does also show the company name that I trade under. Am I still able to export vehicle.

Many Thanks for any help!!

Hi Iron Chef, just a quickie. I'm self employed and have a fleet of company cars in the company and in my own name due to my company car insurance scheme. Hope to receive our visa this year to move over to Perth. We have decided on the 2 cars we are bringing with us, our 2005 Chrysler Grand Voyager and our 2007 Jaguar S-Type R. Both are registered in my name because of the insurance, will this cause problems? Also as our visa will be a 163 visa, if we need to sell either of the cars over there for any reason can we? or will I have to wait until we have received PR which could be upto 4 years after we arrive.

Thanks

Jon

The standard personal import scheme allows you to import one vehicle in your name. You might be able to transfer the vehicle to your wife/partner if they have been on the insurance for it and had regular use for the 12 months before import. Under the personal import scheme you can't sell the vehicle during the first year it is in Australia.

Iron Chef might know of other ways to do things though.....

• Like 1

Hi I was wondering if anyone can help me with the rules. I have a car which I want to send, I will be going to aus on a working holiday visa in March, I bought the car in May 2011. I will get permanent visa while I am over there once I am settled, so my question is say I have my full visa granted in say August, so I will have owned the car for over the 12 month period but not all in the uk. Would I qualify to import the car?

Thanks for any input

Nick

Guest rickpresti

Hi Iron Chef,

Justs sent off for my vehicle import cert, was wondering what is the rough timeline of shpping a car and having it back in your hands the other end?? I am looking at shipping my car in September, but do not arrive in OZ till Xmas time, so would not be available to pick the car up.

I appreciate you can only give a rough estimate, and when would you recommend getting the shipping date sorted?

Hi ironchef I am looking to import my car, a 2007 ford focus st into austrailia from Ireland, I only own the car a month. I am just wondering if you could help me out with some info on how to go about doing this as I can not seem to source solid information on custom requirements and the tax and registration I need to get the car on the road in W.A. any help would be great thanks

Hi ironchef I am looking to import my car, a 2007 ford focus st into austrailia from Ireland, I only own the car a month. I am just wondering if you could help me out with some info on how to go about doing this as I can not seem to source solid information on custom requirements and the tax and registration I need to get the car on the road in W.A. any help would be great thanks

Hi, If you apply for import approval now having only owned the car for one month your application will be refused. You must have owned it for 12 months at the time you submit your application. There is lots of information on this thread regarding the rules and regulations which includes tax and registration.

thanks

Useful thread!! I will do some reading on this. I know the car has to be owned for 12 months and have ability to use the car... I wonder if they will allow 6 months, and 6 months owned by my father, but I have had use of the car hmmmm. I am going to submit a covering letter and detail my personal circumstances.

Useful thread!! I will do some reading on this. I know the car has to be owned for 12 months and have ability to use the car... I wonder if they will allow 6 months, and 6 months owned by my father, but I have had use of the car hmmmm. I am going to submit a covering letter and detail my personal circumstances.

Hi,

I would'nt waste your time or money ($50 per application). The name on the import application must be the same name that appears on the log book and (as you know) it is that name that must have owned the car for 12 months at the time of application.

Cheers

Hi,

I would'nt waste your time or money ($50 per application). The name on the import application must be the same name that appears on the log book and (as you know) it is that name that must have owned the car for 12 months at the time of application.

Cheers

Follow the link to page 17, Its all there

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/pdf/VSB10_info_brochure_july_2011.pdf

Sorry guys, took a short holiday with the family :)

Hi iron chef...

I have just been checking out ur website. Do you deal with southern ireland, if not can you reccomend someone?.

I sent you a pm on here regarding our car....still cant decide whether to bring it or not :-((

Thanks for any advice

Evonne

Hi Evonne - I've already replied yeah? If not I'll do it straight after I clear out all these replies.

Hi Iron Chef, just a quickie. I'm self employed and have a fleet of company cars in the company and in my own name due to my company car insurance scheme. Hope to receive our visa this year to move over to Perth. We have decided on the 2 cars we are bringing with us, our 2005 Chrysler Grand Voyager and our 2007 Jaguar S-Type R. Both are registered in my name because of the insurance, will this cause problems? Also as our visa will be a 163 visa, if we need to sell either of the cars over there for any reason can we? or will I have to wait until we have received PR which could be upto 4 years after we arrive.

Thanks

Jon

Hi Jon, no reason why you can't bring both - you'll need to supply your marriage certificate as part of the docs sent off to Canberra, other than that the paperwork is all the same. Cars that come in under the personal import scheme can be sold at any time.

The standard personal import scheme allows you to import one vehicle in your name. You might be able to transfer the vehicle to your wife/partner if they have been on the insurance for it and had regular use for the 12 months before import. Under the personal import scheme you can't sell the vehicle during the first year it is in Australia.

Iron Chef might know of other ways to do things though.....

See above :)

Hi I was wondering if anyone can help me with the rules. I have a car which I want to send, I will be going to aus on a working holiday visa in March, I bought the car in May 2011. I will get permanent visa while I am over there once I am settled, so my question is say I have my full visa granted in say August, so I will have owned the car for over the 12 month period but not all in the uk. Would I qualify to import the car?

Thanks for any input

Nick

Hi Nick - no dice I'm afraid. You can't bring a car over on a working holiday visa, and your 12 month qualifying period means you have to have owned AND used the car for at least 12 months. Any time spent overseas doesn't count towards the qualifying period.

Hi

Just a quick question, wanting to transport vehicle to Aus, whilst I have owned the vehicle for 2 or so years and the log book does show my name on it,does also show the company name that I trade under. Am I still able to export vehicle.

Many Thanks for any help!!

You should still be able to if you can prove that you were the driver. If it's your business, then any docs that show you're the registered owner of the business. If the business is owned by someone else, then a letter from them saying you've used the vehicle from the time it was purchased should suffice.

• Like 1

Hi Iron Chef,

Justs sent off for my vehicle import cert, was wondering what is the rough timeline of shpping a car and having it back in your hands the other end?? I am looking at shipping my car in September, but do not arrive in OZ till Xmas time, so would not be available to pick the car up.

I appreciate you can only give a rough estimate, and when would you recommend getting the shipping date sorted?

I'm actually going to update my site about this, as many of my customers seem to think they drive the car off the boat, screw on the number plates and drive it away. I can tell you now, on top of the shipping time, allow two weeks just for the car to be cleared off the wharf, and another 2-4 weeks before the car is registered (Western Australia is the WORST for this - allow closer to 4 weeks). I'd say getting it on a boat in mid-September sounds about right.

Hi there,

Just a (silly) question about applying for the PIS waiver.....

can it be applied by email with scanned docs, to the adress on the form or does it have to be by post?

Has anyone tried or does everyone use the post?

Thanks,

Harry.

Yes, in fact I recommend NOT sending originals unless asked for. And definitely send it via email if you can.

PIS applications: Email with scanned documents are fine. Just did mine that way. If they want originals (unlikely) they will ask. The email address is Imports.Vehicle@infrastructure.gov.au

K

Correct :)

Hi - just have a look through the website in my signature as that should get you started in the right direction. When you register your car in Australia, you'll need to pay stamp duty of around 4% of the vehicle's value (this is standard for all new registrations regardless of circumstances, the percentage varies from state to state, but 4% is a rough guide). In terms of work required, most bills to do the work required for registration seem to come out at between $500-1000 but that depends on the condition of the car and the state in which it's being registered.

DIT are fairly flexible with the registration papers - it will help your cause a lot if your V5 has your father listed as the previous keeper (especially if he has the same address as yours). If not you will need to find other docs to show you were actually using the car during that time. As sad as it sounds, speeding fines are actually useful in this regard...

In case people are wondering on timelines, this is me so far:

31 Oct 2011 - car picked up for shippers

8 Nov 2011 - on the boat and on its way

25 Dec 2011 - landed in Sydney apparently

12 Jan 2012 - customs invoice arrives

25th Jan 2012 - still waiting for quarantine clearance

I'll provide updates as and when

Hey All, Great thread

Just wondering what you think about transporting a mazda6 2008 Diesel to Perth from Dublin. After doing a bit of research myself i am more siding to not shipping it as it seems minimal what i would be up after all is done. Not sure how easy it would be to sell on, how popular are diesel cars in Australia? from looking at oz car sites seems petrol automatics make up most of the market.

Great full for any advice..

Guest Doozclump

Is there anywhere I can find out if my civic or my wife’s rx8 will require any changes to comply with WA road laws.

Trying to get as much done this side when I have some time, that’s if the government can find the Mazda’s paperwork. Both cars paperwork were received on the same day and emails have been sent to both my wife and myself regarding more information, this was given on both cars, my civic was approved a month ago and now the department is saying it can’t find anything to do with the Mazda. Payments taken for both cars, reference number for both cars etc but they have lost everything to do with the Mazda, defenatly easier getting our visa than it is sorting cars