Teacher training in Aus?

Guest Angelcake

Guest Angelcake

Hi

Im thinking of having a career change once we get to Australia and am interested in Primary school teaching.

I have a degree in Travel and Tourism and I know you can do post grad courses here with funding (PGCE). Just wondered if there was anything similar in Australia? We will be moving to somewhere around the Brisbane area.

Thanks for any help

Angelcake

Hi

I have just finished my teaching Masters Degree over here in Oz (YEAHY!!!! finished last week!!!). You need to have your first degree assessed by the relevant authorities over here first. They will tell you whether you need to do a 1 year diploma (or higher qualification of some sort) or whether you need other subjects as well. I chose my particular degree because it was all done by distance education. It was an 18 month course. I had to do 2 blocks of teaching practice - one of 4 weeks and one of 5 weeks. The rest I did completely from home - I was sent the relevant reading material and we had the use of an online forum to talk to other students. There were people on the course who had to do additional subjects though because their first degrees were not quite suitable.

You have to fund the study yourself. If you are on a temp visa I would say it would be outrageously expensive because you would be classed as an International Student. On a PR Visa you pay the local fees upfront but with no sort of discount, and you cannot defer payment.

Hope that helps

Daphne

Hi

I have just finished my teaching Masters Degree over here in Oz (YEAHY!!!! finished last week!!!). You need to have your first degree assessed by the relevant authorities over here first. They will tell you whether you need to do a 1 year diploma (or higher qualification of some sort) or whether you need other subjects as well. I chose my particular degree because it was all done by distance education. It was an 18 month course. I had to do 2 blocks of teaching practice - one of 4 weeks and one of 5 weeks. The rest I did completely from home - I was sent the relevant reading material and we had the use of an online forum to talk to other students. There were people on the course who had to do additional subjects though because their first degrees were not quite suitable.

You have to fund the study yourself. If you are on a temp visa I would say it would be outrageously expensive because you would be classed as an International Student. On a PR Visa you pay the local fees upfront but with no sort of discount, and you cannot defer payment.

Hope that helps

Daphne

Daphne: :jiggy:

At the risk of seeming impolite, can we ask how much you spent to become qualified? I'm on a budget! (The name of the Distance Learning body?)

My foundation is Education although have been involved for many years in Real Estate & Retail, but am considering viable options, maybe returning to my roots, although perhaps more as Support, Life Skills or Elementary, rather than classroom teacher - have you noticed if there is any form of need in these areas, or courses for these types of roles?

We are aiming for Tass or S. Victoria - perhaps others have knowledge, experience they could offer? Also do you know if you then have to hold a license to teach/coach/support, & I suspect you'd need character checks?

Thank you,

Herbster X

(A very inquisitive Bear...):GEEK:

Guest Angelcake

Thanks Daphne.

Distance learning will really suit me as I have 3 small children and am planning to stay at home with them for a few years. So engaging my brain at the same time would be good.

Can you advise who you studied with? I will have PR visa so hopefully have to pay the cheaper fee - can I ask how much it was?

Are you intending to teach? If so secondary or primary? I dont think I could handle teenagers.

Thanks for your help

Angelcake

Very general info here, but if you want to look at off campus (plus bridging study) I would suggest:

University of Southern Queensland

Central Queensland University

Charles Sturt University, NSW, Australia. Study Opportunities for Career Focused Academic Excellence

UNE - UNE web - The University of New England, Armidale, New South Wales, Australia

Deakin University

If heading for Vic way Deakin is possible both on or off campus, either way, as international or with PR, off campus is much cheaper. Other on campus in Vic are VU Internet - Victoria University - A New School of Thought

La Trobe University - Multi-campus research university in Melbourne, Australia

University of Tasmania - Home for Tasmania.

Any questiosn feel free to contact me.

Cheers Andrew

Hi

My course was the Master of Teaching (Primary) through Charles Sturt Uni. Although the Uni is based in NSW, we had students living as far away as Singapore and Thailand on the course!!!

I think the cost was around $400 per subject - but you should be able to find that somewhere on the Charles Sturt Website - and there were 12 subjects. It's a Commonwealth Supported Place so it's cheaper than some other courses.

As to licences etc - I can only tell you what you need in NSW. To teach in the private sector you do not even need a teaching qualification so that's easy! In the Catholic system, if you are looking for a full time job you need to have done a religion course through a Catholic Uni I think as one of your study areas. For the public sector (as in normal schools), you need to have an interview with the Department of Education and Training and then you are issued with a teacher number. You are then free to apply for jobs etc.

Hope that helps - please feel free to ask questions and I will help if I can.

Daphne

Hi

My course was the Master of Teaching (Primary) through Charles Sturt Uni. Although the Uni is based in NSW, we had students living as far away as Singapore and Thailand on the course!!!

I think the cost was around $400 per subject - but you should be able to find that somewhere on the Charles Sturt Website - and there were 12 subjects. It's a Commonwealth Supported Place so it's cheaper than some other courses.

As to licenses etc - I can only tell you what you need in NSW. To teach in the private sector you do not even need a teaching qualification so that's easy! In the Catholic system, if you are looking for a full time job you need to have done a religion course through a Catholic Uni I think as one of your study areas. For the public sector (as in normal schools), you need to have an interview with the Department of Education and Training and then you are issued with a teacher number. You are then free to apply for jobs etc.

Hope that helps - please feel free to ask questions and I will help if I can.

Daphne

Many Thanks Daphne, et al::jiggy:

I'm sure really helpful to all of us considering going back to school! Ideally I'd hope for something P/T, perhaps I'd be able to find something in the private sector, maybe a support/assisting role - but I'll definitely check out the courses in a hope something catches my imagination!

Actually, out of interest, what hours do Aussie schools traditionally keep? Are there differences between times of year or rural & city schools, & elementary & senior???

Good Luck Everyone, and many thanks -

Cheers,

Herbie

(A Bear in a horticultural mood, for it's time to tend the herbery, feed the plants & pull some weeds; the sun is out now between heavy showers!)

X:)

Guest debsclan

Hi all this topic interests me because i am in the process of converting my existing qualifications to a degree so that i can enroll in the 1 yr teaching diploma conversion. This is offered at lots of different uni's all over the country both face to face and as online units. I had planned on moving from WA to Queensland but have very recently read several reports on the over supply of teachers around Gold Coast / Brisbane area. Especially primary. That is because it is such a great place to live and the state attracts teachers it seems. Bugger !!!

The rest of the states (Wa especially) are desperate for teachers so there is work begging. Apparently in Queensland the government was offereing $50,000 to any teacher wanting to retrain/career change as there is such a surplus there !!

Crazy when there is such a shortage all over the rest of aus.

I too have heard that Charles Stuart uni offers a really good course with great support so i will be looking at that one for enrolment and i am 5000km away in WA.

School hours vary from school to school and town to town but only by about 10 to 30 mins. On average start times can vary from 8.20 to 8.50am and finish times 2.30 to 3.30 for primarys and 4.30 for high schools. My son is in year 12 and does not finish til 4.40 but then has every wednesdays off, so only go 4 days a week. Individual principals and school communities can dictate what hours they operate so long as they fit in certin compulsory government curriculum subjects and their alloted hours.

Hope this ramble is of some help

cheers Debbie

Hi all this topic interests me because i am in the process of converting my existing qualifications to a degree so that i can enroll in the 1 yr teaching diploma conversion. This is offered at lots of different uni's all over the country both face to face and as online units. I had planned on moving from WA to Queensland but have very recently read several reports on the over supply of teachers around Gold Coast / Brisbane area. Especially primary. That is because it is such a great place to live and the state attracts teachers it seems. Bugger !!!

The rest of the states (Wa especially) are desperate for teachers so there is work begging. Apparently in Queensland the government was offereing $50,000 to any teacher wanting to retrain/career change as there is such a surplus there !!

Crazy when there is such a shortage all over the rest of aus.

I too have heard that Charles Stuart uni offers a really good course with great support so i will be looking at that one for enrolment and i am 5000km away in WA.

School hours vary from school to school and town to town but only by about 10 to 30 mins. On average start times can vary from 8.20 to 8.50am and finish times 2.30 to 3.30 for primarys and 4.30 for high schools. My son is in year 12 and does not finish til 4.40 but then has every wednesdays off, so only go 4 days a week. Individual principals and school communities can dictate what hours they operate so long as they fit in certin compulsory government curriculum subjects and their alloted hours.

Hope this ramble is of some help

cheers Debbie

Thanks Debbie: :v_SPIN:

Really useful, thanks very much. Thinking of Tassie, you haven't heard of any skills/teaching shortages there? And what kind of income might one expect to achieve, say for very basic, or even teaching assistant to more skilled - maybe maths teacher (not my forte, unfortunately!)??

Thank you kindly,

Herbster X

PS So what do the kids do on a Wednesday, or more to the point, how do working parents manage with children on a 4-day week - do they need child minders for those days? Back in my school days I did 1/2 day Wed AND Sat!!

Guest debsclan

Hi ya the pay rates vary between states but assistant get lower obviously. permanents get between 20 to 35 hr various levels and casual gets heaps more but no pay during holiday times. I dont know anything at all about Tassie - never been there and too bloody cold ALL YEAR!!! If your going there you may as well save some money and stay in UK !! Sorry but it is not the sunny Aussie lifestyle you would be expecting down there even if it is beautiful country side.

The kids that have wednesdays off school are yr 11 & 12 (so 16 & 17) bit old for any form of babysitting i do think!!! Some of them do work place experience or study or sleep all day !!!

cheers Deb

Thanks for that Debs,

Tassie might suit us as we actually don't like the heat very much!! But do enjoy a rural, farming environment, closer to the ocean, so we are hoping Tass has to be a little better than here?! But maybe you'd think S Victoria would be a better bet? I'm trying to gather as many opinions as possible, as I don't want to waste resources going places where there's no work, no water or it's too *** Hot or even too COLD!!!

Herbster (He's getting so confused!)

X

:spinny:

Guest Angelcake

Just caught up and read all your posts.

Thanks to all who replied - very helpful, will now start surfing the net.

Angelcake

Guest debsclan

Hi me again, if your wanting anything out of major city areas then you will get work with teaching 7 days a week!!!. Mostly ALL country areas/town in aust are desperate for teachers (except QLD) .

I would be trying Adelaide or Victoria or even coastal WA up as far as Bunbury. It is expensive now in Wa but some country towns are still cheap and rual and on coast and desperate for teachers. (ie like esperence and albany).

Lots of NSW towns are freezing cold in winter and mod in summer and even have snow and are stunning scenery and lovely places to visit and live so they miay suit you.

Look on a map between sydney and Melbourne and inland to a place called Wagga Wagga and then look down south towards VIC from that town (which is quite big).

There are really nice towns and lots of work. MY best advice for different towns is to google their daily or weekly newspapers and read thru different articles and their job sections and real estate links. It gives you a breifing about the area and also contact phone numbers to make enquiry's to.

going away my self for a few days in the rain so wont be replying for a bit. Good luck

cheers Debbie

• 1 month later...
Guest suebryen

Hi All,

I just wanted to mention the distinction between casual work and permanent employment in teaching as there are exists a waiting list in NSW for a permanent job. When you apply to become a teacher in the public system in NSW you are given a priority date, thus you go on a list for when jobs come up in your area. It depends on the areas (geographical) you are willing to teach but in some areas there literally is a 25-30 year list- thus people can retire before ever being granted a permanent job. For any job an already employed teacher is given priority- due to the fact that you can be transferred at any time (long story...) Having said that, casual work is plentiful and often you can end up with full time work in the one school covering for maternity leave or long service leave. So, don't believe all that you read as there are shortages but the NSW system of placing people is quite complicated. Also be aware that WA is going through a huge boom due to mining and thus house prices to buy or rent can be enormous depending on the area (eg $200,000 for a shipping container accommodation )All in all, I would recommend contacting the Education department in the area you wish to live and ask what the situation is there. Good luck

Archived