electrician, returning home

lismith25

Hi, been in oz 7 years now and heading back to uk next year for a break, maybe a couple of years. Since ive been gone i know they have brought in the 17th edition regs, didn't even have the 16th before i left... What is needed to get these qualifications? is it just taking a test or do you have to do a study course first? Wouldn't mind doing it online but don't know if you can. Anyone else had this problem?

Other question is what is the work situation like for sparkys in uk, got plenty of work over here, not sure if its dried up a bit in uk?

We have been in Airlie beach for 6 years,beautifull but bloody hot, and now moving to a mining town for a year, even hotter!! But it will fund our trip home and a few holidays in between.

Any sparky wanting to come over here will be in high demand, specially in the mines, crap work conditions but 7 on 7 off and 140k a year, but money isn,t everything i suppose.

Cheers Dave.

Guest sh7t man no way
Hi, been in oz 7 years now and heading back to uk next year for a break, maybe a couple of years. Since ive been gone i know they have brought in the 17th edition regs, didn't even have the 16th before i left... What is needed to get these qualifications? is it just taking a test or do you have to do a study course first? Wouldn't mind doing it online but don't know if you can. Anyone else had this problem?

Other question is what is the work situation like for sparkys in uk, got plenty of work over here, not sure if its dried up a bit in uk?

We have been in Airlie beach for 6 years,beautifull but bloody hot, and now moving to a mining town for a year, even hotter!! But it will fund our trip home and a few holidays in between.

Any sparky wanting to come over here will be in high demand, specially in the mines, crap work conditions but 7 on 7 off and 140k a year, but money isn,t everything i suppose.

Cheers Dave.

its the 17th edition now mate--its a 4 day course (exam on last day) i did it,and you take your regs book in with you--its a doddle--as for the work situ it depends which part of the uk you go--much the same as auz:wubclub:i dont think you can do it on line (17th) its one of those must be present course

Guest bacardi167

mate 17th edition is 3 day course at your local colledge folowed by a multiple choice exam.

Cost was @ 500 quid last year.

Its a doddle...you cant fail

good luck

It is so easy. You only need 60% to pass. It's Just a matter of knowing where to look in the regs book.

Just out of interest do all mining jobs required you to stay away from family or is it possible to travel there each day? I'm looking to move ASAP and am a bit unsure what sort of wage I would expect to get working on industrial and commercial sites. Do they pay price work like here? Plus if I managed to get a job paying $80,000 how much would a mortgage company let me borrow? Back home they will lend you about 4x your annual wage.

Would appreciate if anyone could answer my questions as its much more reasuring coming from somebody who is already there.

Thanks

Rick.

Guest bacardi167

With regards tot he mining jobs you be looking at a min of 90k a year. Most are free living and will do fly in fly out.

There are a few that want people to go and live there but they are ALWAYS short of people.

Realisticlly you should be hitting $100k a year for a shift pattern.

Dont bother with the mortgage straight away, just max out for a year and you'll have plenty to put towards ahouse

Always plenty of overtime. Just read this weeks courier mail and there are 5 pages of vacancies...

also if you can..get a forklift license. Over here its $400 and a 2 day course.

good luck

Bah to the 3 or 5 day courses. You can book the exam on it's own through the ECA. Just get some study materiel off ebay or Amazon. Study at home and away you go. Bear in mind it's not an exam on knowledge as such, more to do with how you can reference the regs book in a set amount of time. The exam costs £50 so you'll save a few quid going the DIY route.

Thanks for the info, 17th edition doesn't sound too hard..

Mining jobs for sparkys in the bowen basin are plentifull and good rosters too, 5 on 4 off, 4 on and 5 off, then you have 7 on 7 off both are even time rosters which gives you plenty of time for travel if you want to live on the coast. Unfortunatly all are live away from home, but i do 7 on 7 off and spend more time with the family than i ever did on a 5 and 2 roster, so your away for a while but make up for it when you get back. Majority of people on east coast drive in and drive out, west coast is more fly in fly out from Perth.

I don't know of any sparky in coal mining earning less than $140k at the monent, as demand is pretty high over here. I was earning around $70 to $80k in town doing commercial but thats with overtime thrown in and working a few saturday mornings.

Archived