Spouse visa info help

aussiechick2006

Hello everyone,

I was hoping that you may be able to shed a little light on the spouse visa. I'm Australian, and have been married to my British husband for 7yrs. Were planning on moving back To Aus in 5yrs (i'd like sooner mind you).

Anyway my question is. Can you apply and get the visa, go over and validate on a holiday then come back to the UK until you move over for good? Is there certain time scales etc for this?

Sorry, this may be a silly question.

AC

hi

yes. im like you, an aussie, married to an englishman. i submit paperwork for his aussie PR back in august. still waiting fir it. i think you have a set timeframe, like a year, to activate it by physically arriving in oz. it can be for just a holiday and you can leave right after if you want

this is what we are doing. we hope to activate it during a holiday back home later this yr (assuming he has the visa). good luck..preparing the docs for it was hardcore and expensive!

Hi, if you're not planning to make the move for another five years I wouldn't bother with the visa just yet.

As part of the application process immigration request that your partner undertake a medical and police checks. When the visa is eventually granted it has to key dates, the first "Initial Entry By" is set for 1 year from the date of the medical or police checks (whichever is sooner). The second date "Must not arrive after" is set four years after that. So you must be in Australia within 5 years of your partner producing his medical report and police checks..

As the previous poster states, you can validate and run. :)

Thanks for your quick replies Kirra and Peach.

It's all very confusing here. The 5yrs is our maximum time frame till we move. DH has to give at least 12mths notice for work. And there's a few other reasons like early pension, payout etc. So really it makes sense to stay.

Kirra - when are you planning to move back for good?

Peach - Thanks for the info. When you say "must not arrive after" date, is that the moving to Australia for good date. Or is that just that you would have had to go back over after validating date for eg, another holiday?

I may be asking you both for more help along this crazy path.

AC

In my case..

Medicals done 25th Jan 2010.

Police Cert Supplied 10th Feb 2010.

Initial Entry By: 25th Jan 2011 - I have to have had my visa validated before this date.

Must not arrive after: 25th Jan 2015 - This is the date I'm supposed to have moved to Australia by.

Before the "Must not date" - providing I have validated my visa - I can enter/leave Australia freely. After this date I need a Residents Return Visa to get back in to Oz (or to have applied for Citizenship and an Aussie passport).

If you haven't lived in Australia at all, getting an RRV is going to be harder to achieve.

Thank-you ever so much for that info Peach. It helps a lot.

I think we may look into/possibly star the process in the new year once x-mas is out the way. Especially as the children already have a huge list for Santa! As it also gives us a few options, as if we do decide to move over earlier it's one thing already out of the way and one less thing to pay out for.

If you don't mind me asking how much did it all come to? I think I read £1100 for the visa. But didn't find any information re medicals and police checks.

AC

1100 quid is the current cost - it goes up annual with inflation and quarterly it is adjusted to the exchange rate. Medical costs about £300 and police cert £30. On top of that you've got fees for the certified copies of your official docs (passports, birth certs, wedding cert etc) which is around £5 a sheet from a solicitor.

Guest christinenpete

Some airlines also may allow you a higher baggage allowance if you are emigrating, but only for the initial journey. So that may be something to bear in mind (although this may change in 5 years time) :smile:

hi aussiechick

we arent 100% sure WHEN we will go to oz for good, but Im getting keen to go and would like to go before my oldest would start Kindy in NSW which is Jan 2013. My husband is actually in talks to get transferred to the Sydney office..fingers crossed! Im from Newcastle, NSW. Ive been living in the UK since 2001 and I feel like Ive never really lived as an 'adult' in Australia. I did all my growing up in the UK..marriage, mortgage, 2 kids...Im ready to go home.

I felt my husband getting this visa was such a big deal (ie could you imagine if I stuffed up the application and he was refused!) I could justify using an immigration agent to tell me what to do. As Ive been married 4 yrs with 2 kids my husband immediately classifies for PR. The agent sent me forms to complete, told me what to do..all spoonfed. With agents fee (£600 + vat), the £1100 visa fee, the medicals, the uk notary charges (total pain..v expensive..not as good as the ol Justice of the Peaces in oz that are free!), police checks etc etc..it totalled around £2100.

You need 2 stat decs from friends or family confirming your marriage is legit. If you do it in the UK I think you need a solicitor to act as a notary to certify the stat decs (£££). I got friend and family in Oz to do it, they used a JoP for free..so thats my only tip to help with cost. Rest unavoidable..but hey, worth it.

good luck

Oh Kirra that sounds very similar to me. I've spent all of my 'adult' years here. So I do worry that sometimes I look back with rose tinted glasses. As priorities have certainly changed!

We have 2 small children. And i'm now feeling like i'm ready to head back.

My brother has a place near Newcastle (Corlette).

I can't say that i'd like to move back to country Vic where I grew up. Although I do miss the whole way of life. Don't get me wrong. I've lived in some gorgeous parts of the UK and wouldn't change the experiences and friends that I have made. And feel very lucky that I can live in both countries.

I hadn't thought about using an agent. Although i'm sure my husband wouldn't be too keen on the extra money, lol...

One of our friends here is a solicitor, so we may be able to get her to help out a bit.

AC

Archived