MIA Meeting this week in Sydney

GaryandGillDublin

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone had any info on whether the SMP's may be released at the MIA meeting. Anxiously awaiting news on WA SMP.. :wink:

Cheers.

Hi Gill & Gary

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

The SMPs will not be released during the MIA Conference because their release is to be controlled by the Immigration Departments run by the State Governments in the 8 States & Territories.

The conference program is here:

Program

I logged on to Poms in Oz just now in the hope that some of the RMAs attending the conference would have told us something (anything) by now! However the Program reveals that the only thing that happened today was a social jolly in the evening.

The new Minister for Immi is due to open the bidding tomorrow morning, I see. Part of his speech will be devoted to him telling everyone else how wonderful he is. Hopefully, though, he will then get down to brass tacks.

So we might hear a bit more after that or after Felicity Hand has tried to do something about persuading the assembled company of exactly which people DIAC regard as being their business, because visa applicants sure as hell aren't one of the favoured groups for a cuddle from People Our Business, that is for sure!

Hopefully either the Minister or Ms Hand will say something definite about when the SMPs will be released.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill & Gary

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

The SMPs will not be released during the MIA Conference because their release is to be controlled by the Immigration Departments run by the State Governments in the 8 States & Territories.

The conference program is here:

Program

I logged on to Poms in Oz just now in the hope that some of the RMAs attending the conference would have told us something (anything) by now! However the Program reveals that the only thing that happened today was a social jolly in the evening.

The new Minister for Immi is due to open the bidding tomorrow morning, I see. Part of his speech will be devoted to him telling everyone else how wonderful he is. Hopefully, though, he will then get down to brass tacks.

So we might hear a bit more after that or after Felicity Hand has tried to do something about persuading the assembled company of exactly which people DIAC regard as being their business, because visa applicants sure as hell aren't one of the favoured groups for a cuddle from People Our Business, that is for sure!

Hopefully either the Minister or Ms Hand will say something definite about when the SMPs will be released.

Cheers

Gill

Let's just see if the Minister actually turns up! I attended last year and Evans was supposed to be there but at the last minute he didn't come. Sent someone else on his behalf. And yes Thurs is just cocktails in the evening-the conference proper does not start until Friday.

Guest Gollywobbler
Let's just see if the Minister actually turns up! I attended last year and Evans was supposed to be there but at the last minute he didn't come. Sent someone else on his behalf. And yes Thurs is just cocktails in the evening-the conference proper does not start until Friday.

Hi Sandra

The new kid on the block turned up and treated the audience to a pre-written speech about asylum seekers and refugees only:

MIGRATION 2010 CONFERENCE, MIGRATION INSTITUTE OF AUSTRALIA – KEYNOTE ADDRESS - All News - Chris Bowen - Federal Member for McMahon - Minister for Immigration and Citizenship

Apparently his home is only an hour away from the conference hotel.

If he is anything like the Ministers in the UK, it is the devil's own job to get them to appear at the venue and then they scarper as soon as they have read out their speech, so it is impossible to get a dialogue going with them.

I'm waiting for feedback from George Lombard and the other attendees but there does not seem to be anything yet.

Cheers

Gill

Archived