what is the realistic time to rent house and get over

hogan

hi, we have our visa's and have had our house on the market for too long now, we are now sorting out renting it out,which apparently could be quick, what i would like to know is how long does it take to sort shipping out and pets and general things to make the move, i was hoping to be over for xmas is this realistic?

hi, we have our visa's and have had our house on the market for too long now, we are now sorting out renting it out,which apparently could be quick, what i would like to know is how long does it take to sort shipping out and pets and general things to make the move, i was hoping to be over for xmas is this realistic?

Hi Hogan,

We are too renting our house and moving to OZ in Jan 2011. Well, I guess it all depends on a few things.

Regarding renting, we will be giving our house to a real estate agency, so that will be straight forward. We have already contacted them, they viewed it and its all good. A month before we leave, we will move (rent) in a little flat and our house will be rented.

In our case, we will only take around 5 CBM boxes. This wont take long to pack and the shipping company instructed us that they will pick things up a month before. So we'll have everything ready by November. We don't have pets, so I cannot comment about that. All I know is that it is expensive to ship pets and they need to stay in quarantine for a few months I think.

Shipping takes around 8 weeks to arrive in OZ.

If you have kids, have you found a school for them and registered them? Our daughter is already registered in a school and we have sent all the papers. Your vehicles? I have already put the bike for sale and will put the car soon.

Other things are:

1. I opened a bank account in Australia from here

2. Setup money transfer accounts

3. Making work contacts

4. Booked short term let for 2/3 weeks for when we arrived

Anyway, good luck mate! I think you can make it :wink:

Cheers

B!K3R

We have just been advised that our furniture has arrived in Australia and it will be a further 2 weeks for it to get through customs. It was despatched on 28th June from UK so will have taken 3 and a half months from door to door - not a quick journey!

god that was a long time, what company did you use

Chess movers, based in Staffs. They quoted the best price, although all companies were quoting about the same timescale....

We instructed an agent at the end of July and had a tenant move in on 1st Sept. Packers in 11th/ 12th August, ship left on 16th August. It will arrive (amazingly, exactly on time) in Sydney on Sunday, so then we expect another 2 weeks in quarantine before we get it. Visa (457) granted 12th August, husband flew on the 13th! Daughter and I stayed with family for a couple of weeks then arrived Sydney 2nd Sept. We had 4 weeks temp furnished accommodation sorted before we left. Had made initial contact with schools ahead of arrival and visited them all in first week and daughter is now enrolled and ready to start in term 4. Had a relocation home search service take us round properties to rent yesterday and hoping to have that sorted by the end of this week ready for furniture to arrive. It's been a whirlwind! To be honest the worst bit was sorting ready for the packers in such a short space of time, and the stress of doing al this without confirmation that the visa was going to be granted.

Guest kate dodds

wow hogan your so organised were going in november and running round like headless chickens at the min.

your pet must stay in quarantine for 30 days and it costs in total around £2000 were using a complany called animal airlines they were the cheapest and got back to us with loads of info really quickly, long winded process but we cant leave our 4 year old dog in england

Currently in Manly, looked at schools all round Northern beaches / North Sydney, but have enrolled daughter at a school in Manly so need to live within easy travelling distance. Chose this area because my sister lives nearby and its not too bad commute for husband to office and/ or airport (he goes to Adelaide a lot).

Currently in Manly, looked at schools all round Northern beaches / North Sydney, but have enrolled daughter at a school in Manly so need to live within easy travelling distance. Chose this area because my sister lives nearby and its not too bad commute for husband to office and/ or airport (he goes to Adelaide a lot).

Manlys the best! Great beaches and restaurants and convenient to get to the CBD.

god you are organised, can you come and organise my move lol, did you have anyone help you through this (like a company) or just off your own back? i really need to get my back side in gear

Yes, thanks, I try as best as I can :smile: Hehe, I would help ye no problems if I can !

Well, yes, many people on PIO helped a lot with their feedback, so reading and research, calling companies (movers, banks etc etc) and ask questions and get quotes etc.

But mainly I learned through this forum, hours and hours of reading. At some point, you'll know all the things that need be done :wink: It's amazing how many things need to be taken care off before moving!

Cheers

B!K3R

Archived